Sign in to follow this  
walker

Why America is NOT the greatest country in the world, any-more.

Hi all

Why America is NOT the greatest country in the world, any-more.

Enough said.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I'll agree with you when people start sneaking out of the US, instead of sneaking in.

I'll agree with you when people start sneaking out of the US, instead of sneaking in.

Hi all

In reply to BadHabitz

Then you agree.

Why are Americans giving up their citizenship?

By Tom Geoghegan

BBC News, Washington

The number of Americans giving up their citizenship has rocketed this year...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24135021

As always follow the link to read the text in full.

Kind Regards walker

Just curious, there are really people in the US who believe(d) this bullshit of being "the greatest country in the world"? oO

yeah wasn't is only America that believed it was the greatest in the world.

With the rest of the world going "yeah, yeah. What ever you say"

Just curious, there are really people in the US who believe(d) this bullshit of being "the greatest country in the world"? oO

My thought exactly.

Hi all

In reply to BadHabitz

Then you agree.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24135021

As always follow the link to read the text in full.

Kind Regards walker

They're not sneaking out. They're leaving to avoid taxes. I'd venture that few, if any, die in their attempt to leave, while many do perish in their journey while sneaking in. These people are risking their lives to get in, so there's a big difference.

It's called patriotism.

Yes there are....

People also still believe in the "from Dishwasher to millionaire" fairytale. They also believe that the US is the most free country in the world.

The american dream is dead.

Fascinating so many people chiming in from France and Germany.... hmmmm

Fascinating so many people chiming in from France and Germany.... hmmmm

Care to elaborate your smart comment ?

@BadHabitz: Don't want to insult your national pride and I'm sure the US are not the worst country to grow up and live on this planet. However, I believe there is a fine line between patriotism and megalomania. There was a time where this attidute was pretty common in Germany and we all know how that turned out. I'm happy I had the chance to grow up in Germany but I'm realistic: It might as well have been another random central European or north American country, overall I don't think it's better or worse in the neighbourhood. In the end, we don't really have a choice what society we're born into and I've never really developed this national pride thing. Happy to live here but I wouldn't mind moving to another country if I feel I have better chances there.

@Tonci87: [DarkHumour]And tomorrow they'll think they have a functioning democracy.^^[/DarkHumour]

The american dream is dead.

It depends on what the 'American Dream' means to you. Does it mean you can go from nothing and become fabulously wealthy? You can do that, but it's certainly not the norm. Does it mean that through hard work you can achieve happiness for you and your family? That's absolutely achievable, and happens to those that put effort into it. Unfortunately, there are too many who don't try, and then get disgruntled when their dream doesn't come to them. For every Bill Gates and Steve Jobs there are millions who are not so lucky. But for those that have reasonable expectations, you certainly can reap the benefits of hard work and perseverance.

I believe there is a fine line between patriotism and megalomania. There was a time where this attidute was pretty common in Germany and we all know how that turned out.
It's more than just a fine line. We can be patriotic, and maybe even nationalistic, but we're nowhere near the megalomania of eras past (assuming you're referring to WW2), because no one is going to war over who thinks who is best.

And, the whole reasoning behind WW2, and the roots that spawned from WW1 is a whole history lesson unto itself.

Edited by BadHabitz

@BadHabitz: Don't want to insult your national pride and I'm sure the US are not the worst country to grow up and live on this planet. However, I believe there is a fine line between patriotism and megalomania.

Or between Nationalism and Patriotism.

It's more than just a fine line. We can be patriotic, and maybe even nationalistic, but we're nowhere near the megalomania of eras past (assuming you're referring to WW2), because no one is going to war over who thinks who is best.

And, the whole reasoning behind WW2, and the roots that spawned from WW1 is a whole history lesson unto itself.

That's true, but Hitler and the Nazis also had economical and geostrategic interests behind their crusade against Europe. Huge part of the problem was that the population actually believed in the bullshit of an Arian super race and supported the war (well, at the beginning at least). But you're right, that's a bit out of scope for this thread. I was just hoping the average American had a more realistic view of his own country's problems, strengths and weaknesses. I think you can be patriotic and realise what's going wrong at the same time.^^

It's called patriotism.

In my dictionary patriotism is to love your country/nation deeply, not consider it above the others ( which is the definition of extreme nationalism, and in my dictionary it also means that who thinks that has no culture at all).

And the good ( greatest ) or bad ( worst ) adjectives depend completely in each person values. For someone the US may be the best, for some other may be the worst country ever.

Edited by MistyRonin

Every nation thinks that it is the greatest nation on earth. I am sorry to inform you guys that Texas is the greatest-est of them all.

;)

In Britain we have:

the best music

the best comedy

the best tea (and I don't even bloody like the stuff!)

the best ability to queue for hours

the best grammar and england (:D)

the shittest weather and our politicians are either right wing pr*cks or left wing idiots (and the lib dems just hang around somewhere pretending to be a real party )

There's always some crap in each country.

PS: If you weren't sure, take this as a joke. And one plus about America is they actually seem to enjoy life, which is bizarre but entertaining to watch...

I hereby proclaim myself the Emperor of Grand Bavaria. WE have the shittiest weather, eat that Great Brittain! (and dont ask for proof, Im an Emperor after all, you have to believe me)

Now I only need to find a river to let my fleet of paper ships loose upon the world. Will a river of beer do good?

On a serious note, many countries had/have/will have their big moment in history. Still after a while their power wanes and they become one of many other countries again and someone else has the great idea to rule the world.

So you can call it somewhat of a law of nature. Some empires had a rather abrupt end, like Alexanders Empire. Others take a while, e.g. the Roman Empire.

Maybe USA have reached their demise as a Superpower, maybe not. It remains to be seen.

I hereby proclaim myself the Emperor of Grand Bavaria. WE have the shittiest weather, eat that Great Brittain! (and dont ask for proof, Im an Emperor after all, you have to believe me)

Now I only need to find a river to let my fleet of paper ships loose upon the world. Will a river of beer do good?

On a serious note, many countries had/have/will have their big moment in history. Still after a while their power wanes and they become one of many other countries again and someone else has the great idea to rule the world.

So you can call it somewhat of a law of nature. Some empires had a rather abrupt end, like Alexanders Empire. Others take a while, e.g. the Roman Empire.

Maybe USA have reached their demise as a Superpower, maybe not. It remains to be seen.

^this

Every great nation or empire fails eventually, most often because of internal reasons. Is the US at that point? Not yet but someday it might be.

^this

Every great nation or empire fails eventually, most often because of internal reasons. Is the US at that point? Not yet but someday it might be.

You mean like Conservatives vs Liberals?

I really hope that USA will never fall, their paper dollar is everywhere in the world !!! unless some countries want to start a war against it :D

What really amuses me here is that Walker is trying to troll for reactions using a 2+ year old clip from The Newsroom. You've fallen, Walker, and you are not the greatest fear-monger on these forums anymore.

Yeah most of us "Americans" know that our country isn't the greatest (was it ever? what defines a country to be "greatest") You may see the occasional 'murica' enthusiast but they aren't the populous.

That said, why do you care, don't you have problems in your own country and why are you bothering yourself with ours? And if there is a political statement to be made here why is it not in the politics thread?

Edited by NodUnit

I tend to bitch and moan and gripe about the state of things, riiiight up until I see one of these discussions and I get all defensive and start wanting to spout all sorts of positives... Funny how that works.

The US is deeply flawed, much like every other great culture today and throughout history.

You mean like Conservatives vs Liberals?

I foresee several different scenarios in the USA that can lead to a collaps.

First on the list is the poor vs the rich. Wich a practically nonexistent middle class and an ever greater divide between rich and poor this is bound to happen sooner or later. If the US plummets into a great economic crysis and many people loose their jobs things could get pretty hot.