Sign in to follow this  
eddo36

Army says word 'Negro' OK to use

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/05/politics/army-says-word-negro-ok-to-use/index.html

A newly published U.S. Army regulation says a service member can be referred to as a "Negro" when describing "black or African American" personnel. The Army confirmed the language is contained in the October 22 "Army Command Policy," known as regulation AR 600-20. The regulation is periodically updated but the Army could not say how recently the word was added to the document.

In a lengthy section of the document describing "race and ethnic code definitions," the regulation states under the category "Black or African American" that would include, "A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black" or "African American".

The Army, along with the rest of the military, collects extensive demographic data on the makeup of the military force for issues such as equal opportunity and ensuring discrimination does not take place.

One Army official familiar with the document said it's possible the word was added so when forms are filled out, a black or African-American person could "self report" and choose to identify themselves as a Negro. But a military officer specializing in personnel issues for the Defense Department called that "the dumbest thing I have ever heard," noting the Pentagon does not use the word in any of its extensive collection of demographic data.

Lt. Col. S. Justin Platt, an Army spokesman, said the use of the word comes from an outdated section.

"The racial definitions in AR600-20 para. 6-2 are outdated, currently under review, and will be updated shortly," he said. "The Army takes pride in sustaining a culture where all personnel are treated with dignity and respect and not discriminated against based on race, color, religion, gender and national origin."

You guys think this move by the Army is PC?

It is outdated. Those days ended a long time ago. No matter who or what color, my fellow soldiers will always be labeled brothers (or sisters).

It is outdated. Those days ended a long time ago. No matter who or what color, my fellow soldiers will always be labeled brothers (or sisters).

"The Army, along with the rest of the military, collects extensive demographic data on the makeup of the military force for issues such as equal opportunity and ensuring discrimination does not take place."

Never understood why it is supposedly unacceptable to use "negro". My guess is that some blacks just decided it was offensive one day. Why? Because reasons. The reasons probably being attention seeking from the Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton types.

Some say "blacks" or "black" is offensive? Why? I certainly have to identify myself as "white" on many occasions. Should I be offended?

Never understood why it is supposedly unacceptable to use "negro". My guess is that some blacks just decided it was offensive one day. Why? Because reasons. The reasons probably being attention seeking from the Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton types.

Some say "blacks" or "black" is offensive? Why? I certainly have to identify myself as "white" on many occasions. Should I be offended?

Apparently you're wrong, and so was the Army, as the Army has just decided to retract it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/politics/army-apology-for-regulation-negro-word/index.html

Do NOT use the word "Negro" now if you're in the Army or you'll get in trouble.

First rolled my eyes about the cnn article but I have to say that the gentleman interviewed was quite apt in that we have better things to focus our time on.

Apparently you're wrong, and so was the Army, as the Army has just decided to retract it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/politics/army-apology-for-regulation-negro-word/index.html

Do NOT use the word "Negro" now if you're in the Army or you'll get in trouble.

Because reasons. One of these days I should just decided its offensive to be called white.

Tis a shame that we humans consider ourselves the most intellectually superior species on this planet and yet we allow ourselves to be blinded and harmed by nothing more than the mention of our skin color.

And don't go giving me the "It is the history behind the word." That is a different word, now twisted and glorified as "culture" yet somehow still highly offensive to a vast majority.

If we don't move past history, is remember it but move past it, then we will be chained by it as long as we hold on to it so fiercely.

Yeah, lately did a mission taking place in Africa and encountered similar problem - simply realized, I'm not sure how to call the African people in English (not my native of course) to avoid any conflicts with people living beyond Great Water, that as I heard are touchy on this point. As for completely neutral word in Polish to name black skinned people inhabiting Africa Google translator returns "nigger" or "Negro", and points the first as synonym to another Polish word, this time offensive. So started to wonder, should I use only periphrasis or avoid naming these people at all?

Edited by Rydygier

Google translator returns "nigger" or "Negro", and points the first as synonym to another Polish word, this time offensive. So started to wonder, should I use only periphrasis or avoid naming these people at all?

Because Google is American corporation obsessed with political correctnesses and they feel like it is their missions to turn our word "murzyn" into derogatory nigger. Moreover it returns words like "coon", mostly used back in XIX century in American South.

Thing is murzyn means moor but some idiots seem not understand the meaning and polish etymology of this word.

Seems, like GT treats otherwise "murzyn ("nigger") and Murzyn ("Negro").

Checked in 3 dictionaries. Two gives "Negro", where one gives equal translation despite "m" case (m/M). Third says only "Black". But still, I do not know, which should I use to avoid offence. Truly, someone's obsession is tiring for the others. Perhaps, as reason advises, I should ignore all this idiocy and use any word seems suitable to me.

I hear "Colored" is the correct term...don't know why they would prefer that though because colored is the term used in segregation...whites or colors/ed.