Sign in to follow this  
toysoldier

DLC Ads

I'm not using it, other than as a passenger, without any other choice of transport. Should I avoid joining any server that uses DLC to avoid getting in-game spam?

You're not using it, but still you're using it?

If you don't want to see the ads, there is two options for ya; Buy it, or don't use it, but as you've stated you're not gonna buy it so it leaves your options rather thin I'm afraid.

Calling it "malware" is quite the exaggeration.

I'll concede that it isn't malware in the true sense, but it's certainly adware.

Stop using the content you haven't paid for then? :icon_twisted:

Agreed, there was even a thread to survey what type of DLC strategy would be the most acceptable

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?181237-DLC-Strategy-community-survey

I don't understand why people are complaining, don't you want Bohemia Interactive to continue supporting ArmA 3? Also some people forget that they basically got half of the DLC for Free, you don't even have to pay to fly the helicopters!

You're not using it, but still you're using it?

If you don't want to see the ads, there is two options for ya; Buy it, or don't use it, but as you've stated you're not gonna buy it so it leaves your options rather thin I'm afraid.

I'm using it as a passenger without any other choice if I want to join the server in which pilots are using it, I have very limited use i.e. sitting in a chopper. For that 'pleasure' I am spammed with in-game ads, and cannot even close the game when I choose to. It's not so much the in-game ads which are annoying, fine, put them in the main menu somewhere, but these in-gameplay ads are ruining the immersion.

How may servers can you recommend where no DLC is used so I can avoid the spam?

I'm fine with it, they've given us a great update and not hidden a lot of content behind the paywall. They are a business and they do have to maximize sales in order to continue such largess.

I suppose the purpose is that it should be somehow annoying, so that people who are using it will finally choose to buy it. Same as low res textures.

Adware sounds proper.

As i said in my previous post there should be a time trial, or limited functions if you want the full functions then buy it, for a time trial have a counter on

the map when you go to it, or on the menu, if the time is up then it gets removed from your game, if you want it then just click on the "ad" on the menu to get it,

then too If I'm not interested I shouldn't be forced to see it on my menu either, same goes for the karts.

Karts really thats the best Bis can do were talking a milsim here not a racing game, you guys that desperate for money you need to set it up to coerce us into buying these?

"If you dont want it then dont use it"

:j: Gees, well then dont put it in my game then, give me the option please, let me decide, im the paying customer, not like Im renting the game and this is something I have to deal with,

the game is mine, I have the right to not want it, to not want it in my game.

Whats this called legally where someone or some company forces their product on you?

It be like If I came home and a company came in and swapped all my furniture for theirs, and then the catch is if you use it you will have to buy it or we will come

knock on your door everyday, or call you on the phone reminding you that the furniture we put in your house is for sale, lol thats what it amounts too.

Tbh I'd rather see some new jet fighters and some other combat choppers, some new tanks, how about a dlc of 90's to early 2000's warfare like Desert storm ect,.

Karts really thats the best Bis can do were talking a milsim here not a racing game, you guys that desperate for money you need to set it up to coerce us into buying these?

Karts DLC was for charity, originally it was an April fools joke.

Bohemia Interactive donates one million Czech koruna from Arma 3 Karts DLC sales to charity.

http://www.bistudio.com/blog/bohemia-interactive-donates-one-million-czech-koruna-from-arma-3-karts-dlc-sales-to-charity

I'm using it as a passenger without any other choice if I want to join the server in which pilots are using it, I have very limited use i.e. sitting in a chopper. For that 'pleasure' I am spammed with in-game ads, and cannot even close the game when I choose to. It's not so much the in-game ads which are annoying, fine, put them in the main menu somewhere, but these in-gameplay ads are ruining the immersion.

How may servers can you recommend where no DLC is used so I can avoid the spam?

I don't mean to sound rude, but tough luck if the ads ruin your immersion, I suppose that as ProfTournesol mentioned, the ads are supposed to annoy you enough to make you want to get rid of them.

As for the recommendations, I'm not a person to do that for you, I don't have to look at any ads so the DLC content isn't something I consider when looking through servers.

.snip.

"If you dont want it then dont use it"

:j: Gees, well then dont put it in my game then, give me the option please, let me decide, im the paying customer, not like Im renting the game and this is something I have to deal with,

the game is mine, I have the right to not want it, to not want it in my game.

Whats this called legally where someone or some company forces their product on you?

It be like If I came home and a company came in and swapped all my furniture for theirs, and then the catch is if you use it you will have to buy it or we will come

knock on your door everyday, or call you on the phone reminding you that the furniture we put in your house is for sale, lol thats what it amounts too.

.snip.

Ehh? How are the Karts bothering you exactly? I mean if you don't want to, you'll never see them, ever.

That comparison is quite stupid to be honest, nothing has been forcefully swapped for you.

Everbody who is stating that he should "just stop using content that he hasn't paid for" should probably take note of the fact that, last time I checked, this:

And when i leave a server, i must wait because a dlc ads.

Happens regardless of whether or not he used anything he didn't pay for. All it requires is that he be in a server running a mission that has DLC content in it.

seany, a "notification only outside the game session" wouldn't achieve the goal of DLC notification if the game is being streamed/recorded during a game session.

This is really not a good justification, especially since it completely falls apart the second streamers purchase the DLC.

Edit:

I don't mean to sound rude, but tough luck if the ads ruin your immersion

Would you say this about other aspects of the game?

I suppose that as ProfTournesol mentioned, the ads are supposed to annoy you enough to make you want to get rid of them.

This is pretty shady, though, when some of the ads potentially show up without the player ever having even seen the DLC content in question, and the only way to avoid seeing those ads is to be lucky at guessing which servers aren't running a mission where someone has placed a Huron as set dressing on an airfield.

Edited by roshnak

I imagine the marksman DLC will be different, don't own the DLC and you cannot utilise any of the weapons, which is straightforward. But the shared assets, such as choppers, where pilots that own DLC are ferrying troops to missions, are unavoidable on DLC content enabled servers.

It's a bad move to force adware on users who choose not to buy shared asset DLC, a small pop-up when a user tries to pilot an unowned chopper informing the user why they cannot pilot it would be sufficient, a full screen overlay is completely over the top, along with the nagging when trying to close the game.

Not being able to close a game which I paid for, when I choose, on my own PC is ridiculous.

This is pretty shady, though, when some of the ads potentially show up without the player ever having even seen the DLC content in question, and the only way to avoid seeing those ads is to be lucky at guessing which servers aren't running a mission where someone has placed a Huron as set dressing on an airfield.

I agree with this, wasn't aware of that. That's quite overdone.

I own the bundle, so let me get this straight; if you're on a MP mission which has the karts starter gun lying around somewhere 10km away from you, you can't close the game immediately? That sounds unreasonable. I understand the nags, tags and ads if you used the pistol, but not if you just were on the same island with it. :(

I have no problem with BIS using this method of inducing sales for every DLC. If the mission maker has screwed up by putting a starter pistol on, then nag the mission maker to change it (unless it is vital to the scenario!)

Ads are better than dont own the DLC can't join the server.

Would you say this about other aspects of the game?

Which ones?

Didn't know that, thanks for the info, I agree that's a bit too much.

I own the bundle, so let me get this straight; if you're on a MP mission which has the karts starter gun lying around somewhere 10km away from you, you can't close the game immediately? That sounds unreasonable. I understand the nags, tags and ads if you used the pistol, but not if you just were on the same island with it. :(

To be fair, you can always close the game without ads by using ALT-F4, but that's obviously not ideal and almost certainly not intended.

I have no problem with BIS using this method of inducing sales for every DLC. If the mission maker has screwed up by putting a starter pistol on, then nag the mission maker to change it (unless it is vital to the scenario!)

That sort of defeats the purpose of the "not wanting to break up the community" thing, doesn't it?

Ads are better than dont own the DLC can't join the server.

You act as though that is the only alternative.

Which ones?

Any aspect at all. If you have ever complained that something is immersion breaking (I don't know whether or not you have), then it would sort of hypocritical to say, "tough luck" to this guy. Especially if the reason you're saying it is that you purchased the DLC and don't have to deal with the ads that he does (and, again, I don't know whether or not you have).

Of course, if you just think the tradeoff is worth it, then that's fair, but it's also not really how you phrased it.

Edited by roshnak

Any aspect at all. If you have ever complained that something is immersion breaking (I don't know whether or not you have), then it would sort of hypocritical to say, "tough luck" to this guy. Especially if the reason you're saying it is that you purchased the DLC and don't have to deal with the ads that he does (and, again, I don't know whether or not you have).

Of course, if you just think the tradeoff is worth it, then that's fair, but it's also not really how you phrased it.

I think it's not really a fair comparison, as the player can easily get rid of the ads if he uses the content in question enough to make his immersion take a hit, other immersion breaking features, be it bugs or lack of features, the player has (usually) no means to get rid of unless Bohemia fixes them.

I'm not a native English speaker, sometimes I have trouble expressing myself as intended, sorry if I sound offensive, that certainly isn't intentional.

You know I'd be happy with a simple kickout function, if a player who has not bought the DLC tries to pilot. So when marksman DLC comes along (with I assume new weapons) the moment the person picks it up, it drops to the ground.

other immersion breaking features, be it bugs or lack of features, the player has (usually) no means to get rid of unless Bohemia fixes them.

But those are related to game mechanics, engine, what have you, those are the result of something not working whatever it may be, the ads however are intentional,

they are by design, imo they could do it a better way then intentionally coerce a player to have to buy the dlc in order to remove the ads.

I think the ethics behind this dlc is wrong.

The ethic here is, its one thing to have it on my machine and have limits to it until i do decide to buy it, fine, but then to put annoying ads that get worse over

time just because i tried it to coerce me to buy it, to me is wrong, if you guys think thats right, and theres nothing wrong with ads acting like a telemarketer constantly

calling trying to sell you something then maybe we should go seek a lawyer and find out whats legal here and not, to me i find this very distasteful of BIS.

You could have done without the ads is all im saying.

You could just let the DLC have a time trial where you can do what you will with it for so much time, after that it gets locked, you cant be a passenger, or fly it.

Try before you buy is the better way, because after you try it, you would have a better idea if you wanted it then only having the option to just be a passenger in it,

what is a passenger going to do other then watch?

But those are related to game mechanics, engine, what have you, those are the result of something not working whatever it may be, the ads however are intentional,

they are by design, imo they could do it a better way then intentionally coerce a player to have to buy the dlc in order to remove the ads.

I think the ethics behind this dlc is wrong.

The ethic here is, its one thing to have it on my machine and have limits to it until i do decide to buy it, fine, but then to put annoying ads that get worse over

time just because i tried it to coerce me to buy it, to me is wrong, if you guys think thats right, and theres nothing wrong with ads acting like a telemarketer constantly

calling trying to sell you something then maybe we should go seek a lawyer and find out whats legal here and not, to me i find this very distasteful of BIS.

You could have done without the ads is all im saying.

You could just let the DLC have a time trial where you can do what you will with it for so much time, after that it gets locked, you cant be a passenger, or fly it.

Try before you buy is the better way, because after you try it, you would have a better idea if you wanted it then only having the option to just be a passenger in it,

what is a passenger going to do other then watch?

Exactly, I guess it's a matter of personal preference whether you like this system or not, I might be biased tho as I have the Bundle so I don't need to see the ads, however I assume I wouldn't be irritated much if I'd have to look at them while using something I haven't bought.

What other ways you had in mind btw? You know you can try the helos in the editor or via scripting, even as a pilot?

What other ways you had in mind btw?

quoting myself

So I think a bit more testing is required here just to confirm exactly when these DLC ads appear as to whether or not the 'ethics' behind this are okay or not.

Situation A:

The ads only appear when the player is piloting or a passenger in any of the DLC content. If this is the case then I see absolutely 0 problem with this approach and I believe that you should take up your issue with the mission makers as to whether or not they should have alternatives to the DLC content in their mission. You are essentially utilising content you have not paid for.

Situation B:

The ads appear at any time regardless of whether or not the player is using the DLC content as long as DLC content is in the mission. If DLC content is in the mission and a player sees the ads then I would have a slight issue with this however in my limited testing on the dev branch prior to release this situation was not the case. I'd be extremely skeptical that this is the case.

I'm happy to volunteer my time to test out exactly when these ads appear however I am an owner of both currently release DLC so cannot solely verify the appearance of the ads so I would require assistance from someone who does not have the DLC. PM if you're interested.

quoting myself

That introduces a problem with non-DLC owners not being able to play with DLC owners when there's DLC content in the mission.