Sign in to follow this  
toysoldier

DLC Ads

Situation B:

The ads appear at any time regardless of whether or not the player is using the DLC content as long as DLC content is in the mission. If DLC content is in the mission and a player sees the ads then I would have a slight issue with this however in my limited testing on the dev branch prior to release this situation was not the case. I'd be extremely skeptical that this is the case.

Just to be clear, the pop-up appears upon disconnecting from a server that is running a mission in which DLC content is present, the ads don't pop up mid-mission unless you actually get in the DLC vehicle. Of course, given that some of the more annoying effects that appeared when crewing DLC vehicles appear to have been toned down significantly, this could have been changed as well. I haven't tested it out since Karts, but it definitely happened then, and the OP's comment about it suggests that it's still happening now.

This is pretty shady, though, when some of the ads potentially show up without the player ever having even seen the DLC content in question, and the only way to avoid seeing those ads is to be lucky at guessing which servers aren't running a mission where someone has placed a Huron as set dressing on an airfield.

This is not how the system works. The debriefing with statistics and timer is only displayed when you (an individual player) have actively used a non-owned asset in a mission. If the asset is in the mission somewhere (=such as heli on the airfield) but you have not used it actively, the debriefing screen with the summary and timer will not be shown.

Therefore if two players without a DLC are in the same mission, one of them has been using non-owned premium content while the other was not, only the former will see the debriefing with a list of non-owned premium content used.

Edited by Gekon

That's interesting to hear, because everyone who has complained about the post-mission ads neglected to mention (or forgot...) that they had used or tried using the DLC content.

Try before you buy is the better way, because after you try it, you would have a better idea if you wanted it then only having the option to just be a passenger in it,

what is a passenger going to do other then watch?

You already have this option:

1) Go to editor

2) Add unit -> Nato -> Air -> CH67 Huron

3) Make it "Player" or "Playable as Pilot, Gunner"

4) Preview

5) Try before you buy.

Edited by 10T

This is not how the system works. The debriefing with statistics and timer is only displayed when you (an individual player) have actively used a non-owned asset in a mission. If the asset is in the mission somewhere (=such as heli on the airfield) but you have not used it actively, the debriefing screen with the summary and timer will not be shown.

Therefore if two players without a DLC are in the same mission, one of them has been using non-owned premium content while the other was not, only the former will see the debriefing with a list of non-owned premium content used.

Does any situation in which the ingame DLC Ads appear (e.g. riding in the helicopters) trigger the debriefing message?

That's strange, because I am 100% sure that I did not use any Karts content (it would have been pretty obvious if I had) when I experienced post-mission ads. I don't play in pubs often, though, and this was shortly after the initial release of Karts, so maybe it was a bug or something?

In my opinion you should buy the DLC, but I think it would have been better to give a 2 min wait/ad screen coming into the game and low quality textures rather than in-game ads and braking the immersion, but its you're choice to put up with braking that immersion or not.

Edited by Slim_Pikins
Spelling

Dear BIS and community...

First of all, to the mods. I tried searching for a proper thread, but found none. I didn't want to revive the old DLC policy thread, because it's old, and because we now have the heli DLC as a good example and indication towards what this might mean.

I bought the DLC bundle, and to be honest I love the DLC so far. However, I haven't been able to enjoy the new exclusive content much. This is because I play with a community, where everybody are given the same opportunities in terms of roles.

The problem with the current model is this, for people who play multiplayer either in communities or on public matches having the new assets present will make their experience worse than if said assets where not present. In our community, we will not use said assets unless everybody owns them in order to ensure that nobody gets annoyed with ads while playing and to make sure that all slots are available to all players. Those of us who doesn't own the DLCs do not have any drawbacks from this, they will never encounter content they can't use and nobody else will be able to use said content either. I understand this policy, and if I ran a public server (for instance for recruiting purposes), I would probably have an equal policy to make sure that everybody could have the same experience, or to make sure that crucial roles could be filled by anyone instead of only people with DLCs.

For those of us who does indeed own said content however, we will never get to use them. We get the exact same experience as the people who haven't bought the DLC, so besides playing with them for ourselves in SP, there is really no incentive for people to buy them. Everyone benefits from the feature updates, but nobody are able to enjoy the new content. I understand the intentions behind the policy, but I find the fact that the policy have such a negative effect on those of us who have actually bought it to be a bit sad.

I was worried about this prior to buying the DLC, and now I kind of regret doing so. There is very little benefit, but a lot of annoyance. I would also expect that mods like Tactical Battlefield would avoid using assets like this, as it would have a large impact on gameplay if one side had players able to fly said helicopters while the other didn't for example.

I do not have a good solution to this, as I've come to understand that the old DLC strategy would require to much logistical annoyance on part of BIS in order to function. I understand that it's a nightmare to implement something like this, but then again it must change in my opinion.

Having scenarios, outgame bonuses (like sound track stuff or so on), mini campains or even some kind of implementation of said assets in the main campaign for DLC owners would be suggestions. At the very least, leave out the adds on passanger seats.

Are there any other DLC owners out there who find this a bit frustrating? Who feel that buying the DLC was kind of useless?

The only people I can see benefiting from buying the DLCs are people who mainly play single player missions made by the community or who enjoys making them themselves. Don't get me wrong, the new choppers are nice and all... I just would love to be able to actually use them, now that I have payed for them.

I do realize that BIS indeed does care about not fragmenting their community, and I understand the intentions with this model. However, intentions sometimes doesn't match the reality of things.

Is this a flamebait? Because you complain about something that has been discussed to death in other thread(s) without any suggestion or new idea.

Pardon me for sounding like an ass here but I would tell those people to get over it, they can still use the content and they can deal with seeing some screen flashing temporarily, and its not as though all the rotor icons that pop up block your screen to the point that you cannot see anything.

Bi didn't technicly tear the community apart in this case, people are doing it themselves.

Edited by NodUnit

I think what he is saying is that people are at a disadvantage competitively if they dont have the DLC, because people who do get access to the better helo's.

But then again, a mission maker can easily balance this out by giving other options besides the DLC helo's to those who don't own the DLC.

You do get access though, its just that after a few minutes your screen is filled with a checker pattern of icons that slowly phases out.

Without owning the DLC you can pilot the aircraft, sling with them, practically use them as you normally would at least that has been my experience and I do not own the DLC yet because I wanted to test it and see what the fuss is about.

But then again, a mission maker can easily balance this out by giving other options besides the DLC helo's to those who don't own the DLC.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Seriously, contact the author or server administrator for the community you play on to discuss your concerns. The DLC has only been here for one week, perhaps your community admins haven't had a chance to update their mission to include the new content.

BIS needs to add a scripting command that detects what DLCs are installed.

To what end exactly? It's not as though having the DLC means you cannot use the mission, or see it, or use it for that matter. It just means that if you use something from the DLC and you have not purchased it, you will simply see your screen eventually filled with a checker pattern which will then slowly vanish, and repeat. It's not a vision blinding checker pattern either, there is transparency to it so you can see through the shapes, a minor nuisance at worst.

BIS has already added that.

That's strange, because I am 100% sure that I did not use any Karts content (it would have been pretty obvious if I had) when I experienced post-mission ads. I don't play in pubs often, though, and this was shortly after the initial release of Karts, so maybe it was a bug or something?

Could have been. I know personally have seen karts about on radom wasteland never bothered using them. And only when I did one time did I get the advertising.

I'd definitely have noticed if it was happening all the time.

I will be getting the dlc when I return home this week so won't have any first hand knowledge of the adds and how they are implemented so correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding the advertising, if it does spam while in a dlc asset.

it should only pop up when people try get in the pilot seat. Or once when they first enter the dlc they have not acquired. Not a none stop spam while they are in it.

I personally believe bis has been fair regarding the dlc.

But the purpose should be just to make the player aware there is a dlc. Not to try annoy them into buying it.it is counter productive. Instead of making awareness (the purpose of advertising) it just creates animosity.

You can add actions on to the DLC vehicles to assign and move the unit into the driver position.

Put this in the 'init' textbox of the vehicle in the editor:

this AddAction ["Get In Driver", {(_this select 1) AssignAsDriver (_this select 0); (_this select 1) MoveInDriver (_this select 0);}, [], 10, false, true, "", "!(_this In _target) && (((side _this GetFriend side _target) >=0.6)||(Side _target == civilian))"];
this AddAction ["Get In Copilot", {(_this select 1) AssignAsTurret [(_this select 0),[0]]; (_this select 1) MoveInTurret [(_this select 0),[0]];}, [], 10, false, true, "", "!(_this In _target) && (((side _this GetFriend side _target) >=0.6)||(Side _target == civilian))"];

I have the DLC bundle, though I unchecked the Heli DLC in steam and tried the moveInActions and it worked.

I think what he is saying is that people are at a disadvantage competitively if they dont have the DLC, because people who do get access to the better helo's.

Correct me, Almanzo, if I'm wrong, but the point that is being made here is : why buy the DLC since you will most likely not be able to enjoy it (especially when being part of a group), except maybe for a few SP missions?

You already have this option:

1) Go to editor

2) Add unit -> Nato -> Air -> CH67 Huron

3) Make it "Player" or "Playable as Pilot, Gunner"

4) Preview

5) Try before you buy.

No, the point was full function, and try before you buy was for a limited time like for 1 day, after that it would get removed

from your game, to me this would eliminate the unnecessary need for the ads if you didn't want it, because apparently its in BIS's agenda to coerce

you to buy them with their ads as they only interrupt and annoy you, what better way for someone to buy the dlc to get rid of the ads.

Why are you all complaining now?

BIS used Karts DLC as a test bed. Why didn't you express your concerns back then and not now when they have already rolled out with the DLC strategy?

I don't think they are in the position now to change it.

Why are you all complaining now?

BIS used Karts DLC as a test bed. Why didn't you express your concerns back then and not now when they have already rolled out with the DLC strategy?

I don't think they are in the position now to change it.

Not an ideal test bed. Most people never used the kart dlc in their mp missions .

So a lot of people didn't come across it. Or the adds.

Making it mostly free bar some adds still not good enough. Same people probably bought arma3 for 25-30 euro in a sale. Have hundreds of hours game time. And still itnot good enough.

Put in perspective ,Console gamers happy to part with 70 euro for a game that they get.

A weeks worth of gameplay. Or 70 euro for a game and then 15 euro each lousy dlc. For a game that a new version be out same time next year and the cycle starts again .

The DLC system currently implemented works fairly well, and succeeds in avoiding a split in the player base. I can understand annoyance in seeing adverts on a premium game; however still being able to see and interact with the content is favorable over being kicked off the platform you were on.