Sign in to follow this  
toysoldier

DLC Ads

Its a great update and a huge step forward, but the new dlc ads are definitely too much. The animated ads on the right side and some time is the full display with ads like a racing flag. And when i leave a server, i must wait because a dlc ads.

This is totally ridiculous!

The ads makes no difference between pilot and passenger seats!

Standard ads

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141214/me6du4zu.jpg (486 kB)

Full screen ads

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141214/zhqha3qk.jpg (364 kB)

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141216/27tegm3f.jpg (459 kB)

Animated ads

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141214/xc83obh9.jpg (375 kB)

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141214/kfbtmj7f.jpg (496 kB)

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141214/7oow5bsh.jpg (385 kB)

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141214/omddks4q.jpg (330 kB)

Ads after leaving a server, wait time 10 sec

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141214/99hny2ji.jpg (525 kB)

Edited by Toysoldier

The ads should only be appearing if you are attempting to use the DLC content that you do not own.

Are you saying that it's ridiculous that Bohemia Interactive should not attempt to use in-game advertising of their own product and allow you to use it for free?

You are wrong the ads are always on when you just sit on a passanger seat on a taru or on the Huron or the server use it. And i never said the content should be free! Just the presentation politic is wrong, now it just feels like a free to play game...

I agree, it doesn't look very good. I paid 30 euro for this game, at the very least I could get an ad-free screen.

If i never use it then I shouldn't have to see it either, only if i decide to use the dlc in the game should I see the ad?

Idk thing is already on the menu why pester someone who merely wants to try before they buy.

If i never use it then I shouldn't have to see it either, only if i decide to use the dlc in the game should I see the ad?.

True. Isn't it the case ?

It would be in normal case with standard publishers.Bi decided instead that they won't fragment community with "you can't join because you don't own DLC"

but rather with Ad looking tiles that will let you know that you are sitting in DLC chopper.Further to this, reason for tiles lie in Arma 2 lite version where

Bohemians learned that people didn't know that they are looking at low fidelity DLC models (if you haven't own DLC like British armed forces for example

those would look very low quality).

Edited by enex

.Further to this, reason for tiles lie in Arma 2 lite version where

Bohemians learned that people didn't know that they are looking at low fidelity DLC models (if you haven't own DLC like British armed forces for example

those would look very low quality).

Ahahahaha, thats hilarious. Instead they should try a low monotonous, therapeutic narrator voice "Are you really happy flying this shitty low res chopper Ted..?"

People knew well what the deal was with the lo res textures etc of Arma2 DLC, that excuse from BI is pure BS. How many posts where there on here about people being confused about lo Res textures on DLC?..None. Go on, try to find one... Surely there would be at least a couple of posts if it really was a problem?

The Lo res system also did generate sales, I have first hand experience of friends wanting to have better textures and audio and paying for BAF, PMC etc so they could have the better textures and sound.

They had a perfect system previously, probably the best DLC system I have seen yet. I guess they just got greedy. Role on the Steam sales thankyou very much.

This new DLC system and the Cluster fuck that was ACR (yes I still remember and it's still not fixed. Just not gona bother I guess? They even have the balls to still sell this abomination on Steam) means I will never pay full price, or preorder BIS DLC again.

Edited by -=seany=-

People knew well what the deal was with the lo res textures etc of Arma2 DLC, that excuse from BI is pure BS. How many posts where there on here about people being confused about lo Res textures on DLC?..None. Go on, try to find one... Surely there would be at least a couple of posts if it really was a problem?

The Lo res system also did generate sales, I have first hand experience of friends wanting to have better textures and audio and paying for BAF, PMC etc so they could have the better textures and sound.

They had a perfect system previously, probably the best DLC system I have seen yet. I guess they just got greedy. Role on the Steam sales thankyou very much.

Using Google, the first link that appears:

, forum thread and so on :icon_twisted:

There has been quite a lot of confusion preventing people from buying the DLCs because they have seen low-res textures and didn't get the concept. Still, it's not about the sales, but about the additional work required. Simply put, daily dev branch updates would be impossible with more data sets. They would be more like bi-weekly, the intensity of main branch patches would decrease too. Combine the confusion and workload, You get the perfect system to be never used again :icon_twisted:

/// Edit: Ninja'd Vegeta, sorry, sir :icon_evil:

Edited by pettka
I'm a ninja :(

People knew well what the deal was with the lo res textures etc of Arma2 DLC, that excuse from BI is pure BS.

I had to explain it to most of my friends who reacted to these textures during our play sessions, and I used to see posts all the time asking how to increase model quality or admitting ignorance about the low quality models on the r/dayz subreddit. If you haven't seen posts like this, that's nice, but this is not something BIS has fabricated.

It wasn't perfect. That's why they wanted to change it. Maintaining two sets of models was a deployment nightmare. And too many people did not even care about the low res textures and would use the assets with no incentive to purchase them . Again, I have seen evidence of this both in my friends and on reddit, as well as posts from the original thread that discussed the pros and cons of the new DLC concept. You may have been happy with the system (I was okay with it too) but it was not good for BIS. That doesn't make them greedy. How could it? They're still charging similar prices for similar content, except now they're actually giving features from the DLC to everyone for free. They've replaced ugly textures that didn't effectively convey the concept of premium content with notifications that do. Even someone who doesn't own the content can potentially have a better experience because they can fight alongside DLC owners without entering the vehicles and not have to see blurry messes, but full quality models, without even paying.

Edit: Curse you, ninja pettka.

Edited by vegeta897

People knew well what the deal was with the lo res textures etc of Arma2 DLC, that excuse from BI is pure BS.

I'm just one guy, but I had no idea about low fidelity models.Mostly because I wasn't on forums&joined late.

Using Google, the first link that appears:
, forum thread and so on :icon_twisted:

There has been quite a lot of confusion preventing people from buying the DLCs because they have seen low-res textures and didn't get the concept. Still, it's not about the sales, but about the additional work required. Simply put, daily dev branch updates would be impossible with more data sets. They would be more like bi-weekly, the intensity of main branch patches would decrease too. Combine the confusion and workload, You get the perfect system to be never used again :icon_twisted:

/// Edit: Ninja'd Vegeta, sorry, sir :icon_evil:

You could only find one video! And not even a Forum post from here! Read that thread again...it has nothing to do with a user not owning the BAF DLC and not understanding why his textures are lo res..it was a bug http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?106747-Bought-BAF-textures-still-bad it even says he bought it in the title.

Fair enough with the data thing, I can't counter that argument as I don't understand enough how all that works (handy that). Although I can't help but feel if you wanted to keep the old system you could have figured it out. Technology is a great thing :)

PS I do appreciate you taking the time to comment. ;)

They've replaced ugly textures that didn't effectively convey the concept of premium content with notifications that do. Even someone who doesn't own the content can potentially have a better experience because they can fight alongside DLC owners without entering the vehicles and not have to see blurry messes, but full quality models, without even paying.

I think you will get more people complaining about in game advertising then blurry textures. We cant find one thread on here about some one not liking the blurry textures, but we already a thread about someone not liking in game Ad's, I predict a lot more. So what does that say about the users in game experience? I know which I 'd prefer.

I'm just one guy, but I had no idea about low fidelity models.Mostly because I wasn't on forums&joined late.

I bet a message that popped up at the menu when you loaded the game probably would have done the job though right? You could easily have had some notification/adverts Outside of the game at the main menu or before you joined a server. That would have let these confused users know what was up right? That's another counter to the "no one understood the Lores DLC" point. It's one extreme to the other: Arma2: Zero communication to non DLC owners of how the Lo res works in game (menu). Arma3: In game adverts / pop ups

Edited by -=seany=-

While I wish the ads were slightly less intrusive, I welcome them. While it was irritating trying to drive a kart and swerving off the track because ads, I understood very clearly what was happening. I didn't get that from arma 2. I didn't know what was up with the "lite" content until Arma 3's dev-blog about the new DLC strategy. Then I was like "OMG that explains it". Before that I just kinda was like, "damn, these expansions for A2 are kinda LQ. What's up with that?"

You could only find one video! And not even a Forum post from here! Read that thread again...it has nothing to do with a user not owning the BAF DLC and not understanding why his textures are lo res..it was a bug http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?106747-Bought-BAF-textures-still-bad it even says he bought it in the title.

Fair enough with the data thing, I can't counter that argument as I don't understand enough how all that works (handy that). Although I can't help but feel if you wanted to keep the old system you could have figured it out. Technology is a great thing :)

PS I do appreciate you taking the time to comment. ;)

I think you will get more people complaining about in game advertising then blurry textures. We cant find one thread on here about some one not liking the blurry textures, but we already a thread about someone not liking in game Ad's, I predict a lot more. So what does that say about the users in game experience? I know which I 'd prefer.

I bet a message that popped up at the menu when you loaded the game probably would have done the job though right? You could easily have had some notification/adverts Outside of the game at the main menu or before you joined a server. That would have let these confused users know what was up right? That's another counter to the "no one understood the Lores DLC" point. It's one extreme to the other: Arma2: Zero communication to non DLC owners of how the Lo res works in game (menu). Arma3: In game adverts / pop ups

If you haven't noticed BI are a for-profit organisation, if they weren't making enough money their system was a very long way from "perfect". And the easiest solution is to don't bloody use the DLC content, it's pretty obvious.

Actually my idea of a perfect system is a less immersion breaking but more harsh method, i.e. if you don't own the DLC then if you attempt to get in mid mission you just can't and get some line about not having a f*cking clue how to use this thing, you've not been trained (i.e. bought the DLC). I'd personally remove the ability to script into the driver seat, i.e. it works if you start a mission as the pilot but not if you use moveInDriver. With the marksman you'd be certain to get a "weapon jam" within your first couple of magazines and be unable to clear it without the "training".

seany, a "notification only outside the game session" wouldn't achieve the goal of DLC notification if the game is being streamed/recorded during a game session.

Did you read all of my post? Specifically the part where I said it was important that users not be content with the limitations imposed by using premium content for free. Nobody complaining about the blurry textures means it's not enough of a drawback to entice people to actually purchase the DLC. The ads, however, are not something that can just be ignored. People are complaining about them because they're trying to use things they didn't pay for. That's business... The only real reason they have to complain is that they're comparing it to the old model which just way too generous and was a bum deal for BIS. If this were any other game's DLC, would people be complaining about not being able to play a map that was part of a DLC they didn't own? BIS at least lets you get a taste of the content as well as play with people that own it, but there must be a drawback otherwise people won't care to spend money.

This is starting to remind me of the people who complain about the price of the DLC. It's like, BIS takes the common DLC model (you can't do anything unless you pay) and makes parts of it free, and suddenly logic goes out the window. Being able to join servers that are running DLC and fight against, fight along, and ride passenger in vehicles that you didn't pay for are all way better than simply being locked out entirely, ads or not. This is just basic logic. The only way it is worse is in comparison to their old DLC model, which no other game company has adopted, and for good reason.

Also, yes the thread pettka posted was not a good example, but there's still mountains of evidence that you've just conveniently ignored. I know you're not trying to call me and others in this thread liars... ;)

Edited by vegeta897

You only get notifications when using DLC content. What does this mean? Interacting with something you have not payed cash for, counts as using. so your sitting in the back of a nicely new and polished helicopter right? Did you pay for it? No? Well here, i'm going to give you some kind of negative for using this product even though you haven't spent a penny. I can understand the annoyance, but it's not that bad considering you hadn't payed for something and expect still to do what you want with it. I'm certain if you had a friend borrow your car, for example, he doesn't get free ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter Severloh

If i never use it then I shouldn't have to see it either, only if i decide to use the dlc in the game should I see the ad?.

True. Isn't it the case ?

Not specifically what I was saying, my point if you quoted my whole post and not just that line is that we already have the ads on the main menu,

do we really need more ads ingame too?

I think instead of ads in the game allow a time trial of the choppers, lets say an hour to test, and play around with them, once the time is up then they are locked cant fly em or get in them.

If you want them then click on the "ad" on the main menu, i think thats a more realistic approach then sticking an ad in the players face if they keep jumping into it, its either

you want it or dont you, having an ad is in a way forcing them to get it because of the annoyance of the add to push or coerce the player to get it.

Another idea like a demo for a new game give them 1 mission to play and then let them decide, dont force people to buy something because you put it in the game,

if I'm interested in the DLC then I should be able to download it and try it out for an hour, when the hour is up thats it, it gets removed from the game, i will decide from there.

Seany do you own battlefield 4? My friends do on console. Do you know how much a pain in the ass it is owning dlc.that I never get to use with my mates, because some of them don't have the dlc. So noneof us bother. It's a pure and other waste of money.

My point being this dlc strategy although not perfect for "everyone" ,means you and your mates or clan can still play together till they or have the extra money to spend on a dlc. You are not forced to go find another server or sit out a clan mission , or worse someone who bought the dlc is not forced to only use it on his own in the editor.

Surely you can see it is as fair as can be without expecting devs to work for sexual favors?

I'm sure most people who have bought Arma III realise there is a new DLC package available, is there really any need to spam in-game with ads for the content?

I was traveling in a DLC chopper last night as a passenger, and as well as constant nagging to press Shift+P, the entire screen filled with propellers just as I was about to disembark, completely destroying the immersion. Upon exiting the game I was forced to wait whilst another nag screen counted down. I feel like Arma III has been infected with malware, it cheapens the experience and angers me when I cannot even close a game which I have paid for when I want to.

Please get rid of the in-game nagging, it is unnecessarily over the top in my opinion.

I can understand the annoyance, but it's not that bad considering you hadn't payed for something and expect still to do what you want with it.

I don't expect to be able to do what I want with it, I haven't bought the DLC therefore I cannot fly the new choppers, which is fair enough. However, a lot of servers are using the chopper DLC, so there is often no choice but to fly as a passenger in order to fulfill missions. Cue malware like spamming of the DLC in-game which ruins any immersion and appears similar to malware, even trying to close the game after just sitting in a chopper results in a nag screen where the game is prevented from closing.

This malware method is actually deterring me from buying the DLC, as I feel I am being forced to buy it to purely to get rid of in-game spam which did not exist upon purchasing the original game.

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Stop using the content you haven't paid for then? :icon_twisted:

I'm not using it, other than as a passenger, without any other choice of transport. Should I avoid joining any server that uses DLC to avoid getting in-game spam?

... malware...

Calling it "malware" is quite the exaggeration.