Sign in to follow this  
kalthramis

Dynamic ORBAT?

Heya,

I'm trying to make a "Dynamic" Orbat, so the name of groups are dependent on the name of the player leading that group.

However, when I try to assign a variable, ex.

commander= Team_Lead_Alpha;

It will literally display Team_Lead_Alpha, rather than the string assigned to that value.

Anyone have any ideas?

Well, I haven't used orbat, however, this belongs in the Arma 3 editing forum in the scripting section. It'd also help to display a full example of what you're trying to do. It could be a syntax error, or it could be something that needs a more intensive workaround.

You may want to try something like this

commander = stringvalue;

instead of

commander = string;

However, without a bit more context, I can't be sure what's going on.

Essentially, the set-up looks like this:

class CfgORBAT
{
class playerSquad
		{
			player1="Charles";
                               id = 2;
			idType= 1;
			type = "Helicopter";
			size = "Squad";
			side = "West";
			commander = player1;
			commanderRank="Lieutenant";

};
};

This is just an example.

You'd expect the in-game displayname to be "Charles", as the commander = player1, and player1 = "Charles". Instead, it just displays "player1." regardless of quotes or no quotes. (Honestly, I'm surprised it works without quotes.)

My ultimate intention is to get the username of the player in a squad and have their name be displayed as the commander's name in the ORBAT.

Still trying to figure this out.

It seems that the commander line of code accepts some of the premade Arma 3 values, such as "$STR_A3_cfgORBAT.fsmBIS_O_Brigade0". I found this in the cfgORBAT files for the campaigns.

However, when I've tried writing "$squadAlphaName = "Bob", for example, it crashes, poiting a finger at the "$" symbol.