Sign in to follow this  
Vanz0r

Firing from vehicles unfinished?

So I hopped in a vehicle sat in the back and marveled at the being able to sight and fire from it, that is until it started moving...

The implementation is very poor, in a vehicle you basically have a mounted weapon now, better still it's gyroscopically stabilised. I know the vehicle physics are very much drawn from a cartoon version of the world but surely some sway could be built in???

I do think there should be some swaying when the vehicle takes sharp turns, but as for automatically stabilizing, isn't that kind of a thing humans do naturally anyway?

I'm sure they did lots of implementation tests when they were creating this feature. They probably found that not having that kind of gyroscopic stabilization was too disorienting or difficult for players, ie simply not fun.

I'm sure they did lots of implementation tests when they were creating this feature. They probably found that not having that kind of gyroscopic stabilization was too disorienting or difficult for players, ie simply not fun.

ROFLOL - this looks un-tested to me, you're more accurate in a vehicle doing 100kmph over uneven ground than lying prone and motionless.

BIS strikes again. Yet another unpolished feature that, if we are honest, should have been integrated polished way back in Arma 2.

Not to mention Bipods. Oh dear...I could make a list as long as the whole side with unfinished, unthought through, unpolished things in Arma 3.

BIS tought me to never buy a game during the Alpha again.

Thanks for that at least.

They probably found that not having that kind of gyroscopic stabilization was too disorienting or difficult for players, ie simply not fun.

Very much this.

The feature very much so has been tested, by the Dev's and the Dev Branch prowlers alike. It will receive updates here and there, but to be honest, aiming from a moving object, you'd naturally compensate for that movement. I'm certain it's not too accurate, because I've tested it, and the only reason for something being too accurate is because of the skill level of a player.

ROFLOL - this looks un-tested to me, you're more accurate in a vehicle doing 100kmph over uneven ground than lying prone and motionless.

I think you missed my point entirely. I was talking about the design decision to include gryoscopic compensation as a human naturally would do without thinking about it. Accuracy is another matter, but your exaggerations aren't helping. If you have real feedback to give, there are proper ways of doing it. It's obvious that a prone and unfatigued player would be able to hit targets more accurately than one in a vehicle going that fast over bumpy terrain. Why are you trying to sabotage the integrity of your own thread? I gave you a sincere and real reply and you respond to that with this?

@vegeta897,

It's the internet dude! And I am very sure you are aware of that :)

@Vanz0r,

If you are going to hyper inflate any faults you find with a feature within the game how about making a ticket for it on the Dev-tracker. This way people can test your "theories" and decide whether to up vote or down vote depending on their findings....

At least we can actually fire from vehicles now. :/

As said above, it has been tested for over 2 months by the community. I think its implemented quite nice. Sure, more sway in sharp turns would be nice, but then would even more topics pop up with "Aiming getting to hard".

I think they did a splendid job on this particular feature. And as allways in this sandbox, we have now the basic tools to implement it. AGM or CSE will probably introduce some realism in those features in the future :)

And agreed, if anybody feels the need to express a feedback, than make it a feedback and not a rant.

Basicly: What do you observe, what would you have done and any tipps on how to do it (if you have the knowledge about it).

Best regards

If you think firing from a moving vehicle is anything like what is in Arma3 then you're deluded. Obviously rolling around and scrabbling for grip as the car goes round sharp turns is way beyond the physics engine of any game or tech now. However, to have it so that as you go over uneven ground you retain a rock solid tripod mounted firing position is farcical.

As far as tips and implementation advice go then all you' need to do is make the default setting in a vehicle being the standing firing stance, that would have been a simple, dirty solution that would have been way better than this mounted rubbish.

As far as it being a rant I'd counter that everything I've said is fact, you might not like the presentation of the facts but everything I've said is true.

I won't argue with whether it's true or not, but I will argue that you're presenting it in a way that could be considered nothing less than hostile, which is a less than agreeable way to point out bugs/things that need improvement.

BIS strikes again. Yet another unpolished feature that, if we are honest, should have been integrated polished way back in Arma 2.

Not to mention Bipods. Oh dear...I could make a list as long as the whole side with unfinished, unthought through, unpolished things in Arma 3.

BIS tought me to never buy a game during the Alpha again.

Thanks for that at least.

If you're thinking like that then BIS shouldn't really add anything to the game...

I agree it's stabile but hell it's not easy to hit from a moving vehicle because well the vehicle is moving and you have to move your aim all the time to keep on target.

Just out of curiosity were you on the dev branch at any stage testing or giving feedback on the feature?

Are you implying that you can't have an opinion on something if you did not beta-test it?

Try to translate that to the real world (everything is in the real world but anyway...or did you dream this?).

Say you buy a car, a brand new car. The engine falls off. You return it to the dealer. He asks if you drove it during development. You say 'No'. Dealer says ' Too bad, can't help you'.

=)

As far as tips and implementation advice go then all you' need to do is make the default setting in a vehicle being the standing firing stance
By this do you mean that the default values be those of "standing in place with 0% Fatigue"? I emphasize values since the implementation is basically "your character is a vehicle turret".

By this do you mean that the default values be those of "standing in place with 0% Fatigue"? I emphasize values since the implementation is basically "your character is a vehicle turret".

I haven't looked at the code so can't see the various options for the fatigue system but I suspect it's very rudimentary something like 25%, 50% 75% etc.? So sure it would be good to have standing 25% fatigued as the default.

As far as 'being hostile' sure I'm unhappy, this game has had years of development as well as thousand upon thousands of considered and well presented suggestions by a dedicated community of enthusiasts. Sounds like those on, invited and participating in the dev branch are from the full retard section of this community...or so fanboyed up that they don't want to criticise the developers.

There's no denying that the current implementation is both lazy, flawed and not worthy of the game/sim the majority of the community want to play. You can draw your own conclusions about the devs. my money is on them being high on coke, drunk on champagne and under the influence of women of easy virtue thanks to the millions of $ from the Dayz project(s). That seems more plausible than them being incredibly incompetent, arrogant and stupid don't you think?

I'm pretty certain that is not how you prove your point, calling others retards and saying the devs use coke kind of invalidates your feedback, you can't be taken seriously. :j:

Sounds like those on, invited and participating in the dev branch are from the full retard section of this community...or so fanboyed up that they don't want to criticise the developers.

You know the dev branch is open to everyone, right? If you want to test out stuff on the dev branch and provide feedback, all you have to do is opt-in through Steam and start posting in the appropriate section of the forums. Speaking of which, have you ever actually checked out the dev branch subforum? Because it's full of people arguing and critiquing pretty much non-stop.

It sounds like you're just getting more and more angry and lashing out at everyone who doesn't immediately jump on board with your opinions, which is strange, because you started this topic with a reasonable tone.

Let me ask you this: Is there some gameplay reason that you think that it's so imperative that there be more sway when firing from vehicles? Are you finding it too easy to hit targets? Are you finding yourself being constantly and unfairly killed by people sitting in the back of pickup trucks? Or do you just think it looks sort of silly? None of these questions were sarcastic. I really want to know. Because so far you haven't really given any examples of what kind of impact this is having on the game.

do you just think it looks sort of silly?

I'm just waiting to be killed by a human turret and for folks to figure out that jumping in the backs of vehicles gives them the best possible firing solution, albeit static. Can't wait to see the impact of folks firing from little birds (look out for the rain of 40mm).

What's more frustrating is we have this unfinished and comic addition to the game yet I get to enjoy the same vehicle engine sound for 5 hours because someone messed up the coding...

I suggest that you actually try firing grenades from a little bird. It is nearly impossible to hit anything.

I would also suggest that you keep waiting to actually be killed by a human turret or for people to figure out that jumping in the back of vehicles ostensibly gives them the best possible firing solution before you freak out about it. In my experience so far, it has not been a problem. It seems like so far you're just speculating about how bad it could be.

I suggest that you actually try firing grenades from a little bird. It is nearly impossible to hit anything.

I would also suggest that you keep waiting to actually be killed by a human turret or for people to figure out that jumping in the back of vehicles ostensibly gives them the best possible firing solution before you freak out about it. In my experience so far, it has not been a problem. It seems like so far you're just speculating about how bad it could be.

Yeah had the same thought. It is hard as balls to hit sth. from a fast moving helicopter. Especially with 40mm.

There's no denying that the current implementation is both lazy, flawed and not worthy of the game/sim the majority of the community want to play. You can draw your own conclusions about the devs. my money is on them being high on coke, drunk on champagne and under the influence of women of easy virtue thanks to the millions of $ from the Dayz project(s). That seems more plausible than them being incredibly incompetent, arrogant and stupid don't you think?

This is completely unnecessary and irrelevant to the topic; speaking like this will only turns people off to what you have to say.

Back on topic; having no experience firing a weapon from a vehicle, I would have to make an educated guess that in a real life scenario, the situation may be more challenging than the virtual counterpart; however as stated above, there must be a trade off between realism and fun. In this case, firing from a vehicle presents a challenge to the player without making it outright impossible, or frustrating. I'd also have to disagree with comments claiming the addition is 'un-polished'; in what way is this the case?

Edited by AMatt

I'd also have to disagree with comments claiming the addition is 'un-polished'; in what way is this the case?

As has been pointed out the implementation is 'human turret' with no vertical distortion whatever the attitude of the vehicle and no weapon sway. Something can be fun and 'feel' authentic, using a weapon from a vehicle in the current human turret system is frankly laughable.