Sign in to follow this  
atomictim7

Confused about Taru functionality

So when I saw the Skycrane equivalent (Taru) was going to be added I was hyped about being able to swap out the different support boxes in the field.

I've tried everything, and unless I'm missing something, I cannot see a way to actually swap out the support boxes.

For example I put down a Taru Ammo helicopter in editor, and a fuel support box next to it.

I assumed I would be able to detach the ammo, and attach the fuel, but the only sling functionality I can see for the Taru, is on the empty one, where the box doesn't even fill the space it should (just slings like the other choppers)

Unless I'm missing something, I would've thought that would be the whole point of adding the Taru?

I tried it from all angles with the same result.

Odd, since mods like IGIload attach and detach stuff with a script. They could have at least copied the method.

There is a post in the Dev Build forums from one of the developers as well as the Creative Director regarding design/engine issues around the Taru.

In short; no you cannot attach/detach the pods from the helicopter mid mission.

Edit: Also, BIS really really don't like having to use scripted solutions, they have stated this many times in the past.:)

I am kind of working on a solution for that.

Basically you just need to attach a script to a TARU pod or the TARU itself that once slingloaded will reduce the rope length and then properly attach the pod onto the Taru while removing the ropes.

And do not worry, the community will always have a solution for you someday :)

C'mon !

You WONT prevent me to recode it from scratch :)

And also, that confirm the fact that MCC deserves more players

Edited by ZertyKchan

I am in total agreement with this thread.

I also thought that you could detach a pod and then pick up another one with the same heli.

Situation:

You use the transport pod to move 8 infantry to a given location. This location will also be used as a FOB. Taru returns to base and detaches the transport pod to refit with an ammo pod to resupply said infantry.... Infantry gets injured so you then detach the ammo pod and refit to the medical pod... You get the drift.

Unfortunately you cant. :(

I am kind of working on a solution for that.

Basically you just need to attach a script to a TARU pod or the TARU itself that once slingloaded will reduce the rope length and then properly attach the pod onto the Taru while removing the ropes.

And do not worry, the community will always have a solution for you someday :)

Sounds interesting. Will you remember to add the mass of each respective cargo pod to the Taru once attach as I'm pretty sure the attachTo command sets enablesimulation=false when activated.

Also, if you're even using the attachTo method don't forget to disable sling loading once the pods is 'attached' otherwise you'll have ropes dangling through the 'attached' pod whilst carrying another load. :)

Something like that? :)

#define pods ["Land_Pod_Heli_Transport_04_ammo_F","Land_Pod_Heli_Transport_04_bench_F","Land_Pod_Heli_Transport_04_box_F"]
#define taru "O_Heli_Transport_04_F"
#define offset [0,-1,-1]
#define min_length 1
#define max_speed 0.25
#define target_length 0.75

private ["_target_mass","_target_masscenter","_pod","_pod_mass","_pod_masscenter","_mass_ratio","_new_masscenter","_new_mass"];

_target=_this;

if (typeof _target != taru || isNull (getSlingLoad _target) || !((typeof (getSlingLoad _target)) in pods) || count (attachedObjects _target) >0) exitwith {false};

_pod=getSlingLoad _target;
_target_mass=getmass _target;
_target_masscenter=getcenterofmass _target;
_pod_mass=getmass _pod;
_pod_masscenter=getcenterofmass _pod;
_mass_ratio=_pod_mass /(_pod_mass+_target_mass);
_new_mass=_pod_mass+_target_mass;
_new_masscenter=[];

{ropeUnwind [_x,max_speed,target_length];true}count (ropes _target);
waitUntil {!alive _pod ||!alive _target ||(ropelength (ropes _target select 0))<min_length};
if (!alive _pod || !alive _target) exitwith {false};

_pod attachto [_target,offset];
{ropeDestroy _x;true} count (ropes _target);
_target enableRopeAttach false;
_pod enableRopeAttach false;

for "_i" from 0 to 2 do {
_new_masscenter set [_i,(_target_masscenter select _i)+((_pod_masscenter select _i)+ (offset select _i)- (_target_masscenter select _i))*_mass_ratio];
};
_target  setCenterOfMass [_new_masscenter,0];
_target setmass _new_mass;

true

Its a bit of a code fart rigth now, still need to add some stuff and do the detach part.

Edited by ZertyKchan

I am in total agreement with this thread.

I also thought that you could detach a pod and then pick up another one with the same heli.

Situation:

You use the transport pod to move 8 infantry to a given location. This location will also be used as a FOB. Taru returns to base and detaches the transport pod to refit with an ammo pod to resupply said infantry.... Infantry gets injured so you then detach the ammo pod and refit to the medical pod... You get the drift.

Unfortunately you cant. :(

Quoting myself and giving this a little bump.

With regards to the Taru not being insta-modular; this is primarily a limitation of the engine that is too complicated to overcome. There are several vehicle properties, such as passenger spaces / fuel capacity / medical supplies / etc. which cannot be dynamically changed in a proper way. attachTo and similar solutions are not good enough for vanilla. The same limitation affects other support vehicles like the heavy trucks. We still believe the Taru is a cool concept that can be used in logistical scenarios. The Huron is more flexible (though the Taru without pod can sling load its pods as well), but the Taru has the pods integrated into its airframe and is therefore arguably easier to maneuver.

In short: in an ideal world, we'd have liked fully modular vehicles and therefore mid-mission pod changes on the Taru. However, we still really like the concept of the Taru as opposed to just having 2 'regular' heavy copters.

I'm kind of sad it's not possible in vanilla, but at least it's "just" a "simple" attachTo script to make it work. Good enough for me, and probably also most other people. I'd bet that every server using the Taru will also use such a script.

The problem with the attachto command is that the pod will have no collision at all and also the helicopter won't become "heavier" and harder to fly (like it is on the other Taru variants), doesn't matter if you change the helicopter's mass...

The only possible solution would be is changing the heli model "on the fly", you can get the advanced flight model value, but you can't set them. If we could set them, MAYBE we could have a "real" modularity script.

Btw, we need to get used to half DLCs... (inb4 someone gets mad at me: apart from no modularity on the Taru (let's say it's engine limitation): no new heli on AAF side, FFV is half finished, at release admins can't force flight model settings on the server - fixed on dev though, etc.)

When I first saw the reveal, I though that this functionality was the purpose of the helicopter, unfortunately not.

I do wish that it was added, will have to see what alternatives pop up in the future.

Quoting myself and giving this a little bump.

Your stated objectives can all still be completed with the standard Taru via sling loading. That's probably not the ideal solution but it's what we have now.

Also, what kind of new helicopter would the AAF need/want given they're meant to represent a low-GDP nation similar to Malta/Cyprus etc? They have a light attack helo with transport capacity in addition to a medium tactical lift helicopter.

I think perhaps the problem is more AI related? EG how does the AI know it has a medical / cargo/ repair/ troop role?

I can't blame BIS for not including a half-horking feature. Maybe in the future?

So how come that MCC guys can do it but its too complicated for DEVS?

The MCC version isn't perfect. Uses attachto -> the pod won't have any collision. Also increases the mass of the helicopter with the pod's mass, but that won't change the flight model to the actual pod version of the Taru. (IMO it doesn't do anything with the flight model).

Still that's probably the best and only solution a scripter can do right now with the pods.

I'd really like to see an in-engine solution to this in a later update, including the ability to retain physical simulation of attached objects.

I presume it would be a global solution - no idea how difficult this would be to implement though.

I'd really like to see an in-engine solution to this in a later update, including the ability to retain physical simulation of attached objects.

I presume it would be a global solution - no idea how difficult this would be to implement though.

Not easy. IIRC, the problem has to do with the fact that you can't change the config of a vehicle. You would need to remove the helicopter and replace it with another one. The easiest way to do this (and it's possible now) is to have a vehicle refit zone. When you land it offers options for different configurations (medical, repair, etc). When you select one, the screen goes black and it plays out "20 minutes later..." and while this is happening it uses a combination of createVehicle, deleteVehicle, moveInDriver, and skipTime commands to create the illusion that only the pods are being swapped out.

Just wanted to say that I'm also very disappointed the pods aren't dynamic.

Hopefully there will be a good AttachTo mod but still very sad that its not in vanilla.

Just wanted to say that I'm also very disappointed the pods aren't dynamic.

Hopefully there will be a good AttachTo mod but still very sad that its not in vanilla.

MCC Sandbox has this functionality. Sling load the pod and an option will appear to attach it to the frame. Works pretty well.

MCC Sandbox has this functionality. Sling load the pod and an option will appear to attach it to the frame. Works pretty well.

See my previous post:

The MCC version isn't perfect. Uses attachto -> the pod won't have any collision. Also increases the mass of the helicopter with the pod's mass, but that won't change the flight model to the actual pod version of the Taru. (IMO it doesn't do anything with the flight model).

I'm not saying MCC guys didn't do a great job, it's just not the perfect solution (because we can't do the perfect solution. Bohemia could do - at least a far more better one IMO, but they didn't)