Sign in to follow this  
froggyluv

Suppresive Fire Command?

We have a number of great AI mods that do a great job of getting them to behave as if suppressed, the problem being how do we get our MG'er to light up an area?

This command has been sitting there lifeless above Watch Direction since forever, are there any plans to actually implement this most basic and necessary command?

I hear you froggyluv. I wonder if this can be in the scope of zapat's GetTactical mod? Seems like a natural fit. Command individual or group AI to suppress an area...like full spectrum warrior did.

Maybe so but just think this deserves some official attention as it's been in the command GUI since Arma2....why keep it in there if there is 0% chance they want to implement

I am surprised this topic has not been raised more. It would change how the game is played in singleplayer.

I am surprised this topic has not been raised more. It would change how the game is played in singleplayer.

Could be because of the inaccessibility of the command menu in general. Have more than thousand hours of playtime by now and still just use basic move, target and get in commands only - stuff that can be done with the quick, context sensitive menu. Just because I feel I don't have the time in combat to navigate through this horrible number menu. That whole thing needs a serious rework if you ask me.

Could be because of the inaccessibility of the command menu in general. Have more than thousand hours of playtime by now and still just use basic move, target and get in commands only - stuff that can be done with the quick, context sensitive menu. Just because I feel I don't have the time in combat to navigate through this horrible number menu. That whole thing needs a serious rework if you ask me.

I absolutely agree, that's why I would like to see the option to change the layout of the menu to your own preferances. i.e. Remove or add actions one uses often or doesn't use at all.

The current state of the command menu is unacceptable and definitely needs more love.

While I agree the whole command menu format is pretty fubar'ed, alot of us can also work pretty much every command in the blink of an eye in a pitch black room -just because we've been using it so long. I know I use Watch Direction all the time as a simple Alt hold isn't that hard.

The strange thing is they let it carry over from Arma 2, why not just delete the bugger and be done with rather then let it reiterate into Arma 3 if there where no plans to do anything with it? Somebody, somewhere at BI HQ planned to attempt to get that damn thing to work and then fell asleep at the wheel.

Edit: The benefits of getting Suppresive Fire would have a tremendous effect on AI gameplay and really shouldn't be that hard to do. Create some invisible targets with less priority then actual target around the area pointed to by player. The higher the KnowsAbout, the closer the invisible targets are to the actual target(s) Give a few extra options like light, moderate and heavy suppressive fire while the whole operation qualified by gunners skill level etc.. Of course, AI ammo is always another consideration...

Edited by froggyluv

As someone pointed out, it's astonishing that the question has been raised now and not like, a year before.

I tried to use it few times, but couldn't make my AI LMG fire at the enemy. Annoying, esp. given that I'm with FroggyLuv on the "using it so long I can cite the right order number woken up in the middle of the night". After all (and I mean I tried a few custom command menu mods), nothing better has ever been done in the matter and to me it's the same as CS 1.6 "lite" buy menu or SWAT3 command menu, so yeah... I don't see the problem with it.

Anyway, long time ago, in OFP or ArmA1 times, I remember there was a mod that changed the Alt key "watch" feature to a much more useful "Fire at that shit" feature, making it possible to use AI to suppress the enemy. Real game changer, so... Bohemia? What are You waiting for?

Kind of strange to have an infantry centric game (yeah, i know, helo DLC...but still) without any weapon resting nor suppressive fire (and i may had, no melee ability).

We need to keep this topic going.

Some momentum is needed.

Out of scope of marksman dlc BIS?

We need to keep this topic going.

Some momentum is needed.

Well it's not like we are asking for essential hardcore military ponds or anything :rolleyes:

And I would garner it should very much be in the scope of Marksman -how else do we flush out those spooks, with the *extended shadows, 3d scopes and all*

* This statement is not in any way official BI confirmation of either extended shadows nor 3d scopes. Pigs are most definitely a go however.

I like the way VBS3 implement suppressive fire. Surely we should be able to do some screentoworld stuff to show the extent of suppression?

I second and fully support this discussion! I find it mind boggling that the suppressive fire command just does not work at all. It's far from the only AI command that doesn't work either. I mean, have you ever tried to get an AT soldier to, you know, actually fire his AT at a target? Doesn't work 9/10 times...

Having a command which simply does nothing is of course a bug and should be fixed. That said, it may have been left as broken since the AI can't be suppressed anyway.

Having a command which simply does nothing is of course a bug and should be fixed. That said, it may have been left as broken since the AI can't be suppressed anyway.

I mean, maybe. But at least the AI could make a good show of it and open up in the general direction of the AI. Even if it didn't do anything, at least it would look cool and feel satisfying.

EDIT: But the AT units simply not firing rockets at armored targets needs to be addressed. I can't think of anything more frustrating then commanding an AI AT unit within striking distance undetected, ordering him to nuke the target, and him just standing there, staring at you. Arguably exponentially more important.

@JonPl: IIRC, you could order units to just fire at "things" in OFP vanilla no? That would be better than what we have now. And on the topic of getting AI AT to just open up and stop meandering around looking for prefect spot only to get drilled 1000 times along the way...yes, we need the ability back to just order them to Fire even if they don't belive they have perfect angle -nothing worse than that impotent feeling that you've got the upper hand and the firepower to stop that approaching armour only to watch idiot AT boys doddle about.

Back OT: Take a look at this guy's post http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159710-AI-Discussion-(dev-branch)&p=2810758&viewfull=1#post2810758.

I think thats a pretty common sentiment among newcomers and some veterans alike -that being there is just 'too much of too little' volume of fire and way too much direct accurate fire. The feeling of setting up position to get behind AI only to have them turn around on you after near hit or even an actual hit and 1-2 shot you. Even if you succeed in killing him it's just not as satisfying as getting the other team to appear frightened, shocked troubled whatever, feel the need to scatter for cover rather than a cold, sterile simple counterfire... Suppressive fire would indeed turn all of this around (with added Suppressed mechanic as well) as now when running thru those dark woods at night leading your fireteam you hear bullets whizzing all around -were you spotted? Or maybe spotted and it's merely area fire? As it is now you know for sure someone's going down quick after the first bullet snap and you are indeed identified.

Some people love multitudes of fatigues, guns, grips, packs, cannisters, hats, shades, units, vehicles etc but to me it is all for naught if they all act the same. It's time for real new behaviour and infantry mechanics to take top priority in this mostly Infantry based game.

Stolen from sttosin post from another thread:

[...]

I hope not !

So wait if we buy VB3 then we get suppression and better game play even though this uses the same engine as Arma 3...lol wow

Surely there are talented coders out in the armaverse that could emulate this on Arma 3?

Surely there are talented coders out in the armaverse that could emulate this on Arma 3?

There is an actual suppressive fire script in the East Wind files.^^

Wrong. With vanilla AI ....yes.

With bCombat...suppressed AI all day.

Edited by sttosin

I hope not !

I was desperate....what do you want from me.