Sign in to follow this  
SG_Smokintodd

Cosmos Engine; This Mod Blew Me Away

You maybe wonder why the missions are campaign at first but the reason is when you fly from Startis to land Altis, the game need to change mission in the middle. So this is only singleplayer thing now and this doesn't "really" combine those maps. This is likely a thing if you want to go on the moon etc. planets also. But the game doesn't need to load any mission when you fly high and observe the earth and space.

It's a cool singleplayer mode and it's awesome to see land over the view distance when you go enough high. Need to explore some space later :D

That explains SO MUCH. I though he was the first to use some kind of new coding magic since OFP was released. :)

Still cool though.

So, apparently Arma 3 can't handle ponds but it can take you in outer space. Smh... ;)

Joking aside, this looks really good and may be some sort of preview of the future evolution of RV engine. Which, lets do be honest, will have to be quite massive if they would like to trully impress us. The 'competition' is already doing things like procedural terrain generation, unlimited distances and all sorts of physical simulations, including fluids, destruction and gravity. I only hope they won't just be 'visual gimmicks' like in so many other games but will impact gameplay in a sensible manner also.

hahahahaahahahaha wow!!!!! Very nice!!!!!

Now those aliens mod and Star Wars mods from A2 will make sense! Can you imagine an Xcom Ufo Deffence mod for A3? With the final fase being invading the aliens fortress on the Moon? Or an SW mod with space shuttles battles?

BTW I can config the laser guns if you want!

hahahahaha excelent. Keep it up dude!!!!

Having trouble getting this to work..I click on campaign and the mission and it freezes and crashes

Hey FullerPJ...I'm having the same thing happen. Click on campaign mission and freeze/crash.

Crap.... got my son going gonzo cause he wanted to fly the OA Macross robot plane in space. Will have to distract him with some more Halloween candy and an episode of Futurama on Netflix.

B

Looks like Saul's F18 addon helps...Anyone have any clue what addon grodnoalpha is?

Looks like a dirty addon list in the mission sqms?

Edited by BadLucky1776

Spent some time on this. It is stunning once it started working. Pretty cool

You need to kill the F18 and grodnoalpha addon dependencies. Would also recommend defining the vehicles altitude and space engine abilities with a linkable module. That way people could use other aircraft like the OA Macross Plane or the Star Trek shuttle. Might fit the genre a bit better?

This is absolutely freaking amazing! I havent tried it yet but judging by the images and video its totally out of this world (pun) :D

Imagine the possibilities this offers - Id imagine aerial refueling is a more enjoyable experience than just staring down into the blue ocean now. :)

Space Engine, as someone has already said, looks very much like that. If it is the same guy making it, they should snap him up, could be great.

However, Take on Mars would benefit better from this more, imo, with the current space game explosion, it may put TOM on the map a little more.

I havent tried it yet but judging by the images and video its really beautiful. I was doing the Space Shuttle and the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft for Arma 2 Arma 3 I wanted to do it but I thought it was useless but thanks to this mod I think it will be very useful and realistic.

This is something really revolutionary so it got my vote on the MANW competition.

I don't know but I'm having issues with this mod currently and would definitely like to hear from the creator.

It looks awful close to this :

<link>

Which dwarden is listed among the developers. Hopefully john can come in here and clear the air.

What issue you have?

I don't know autors of SpaceEngine and don't using anything from SpaceEngine. CosmosEngine and SpaceEngine fully different things. I saw video of SpaceEngine and it all. The list of developer are from SpaceEngine, but not from CosmosEngine.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

Would also recommend defining the vehicles altitude and space engine abilities with a linkable module. That way people could use other aircraft like the OA Macross Plane or the Star Trek shuttle.

it will be

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:48 ----------

Anyone have any clue what addon grodnoalpha is?

grodnoalpha is my addon, terrain and alpha version.

I'm happy this got into the competition. I see the similarities to Space Engine too. But there again there are soo many space games coming forward, its not hard to get some that look similar. But it is striking the look of Cosmos to Space Engine.

I hope this gets noticed for MANW, I'm sure it will...;)

Oh, is it working now, had an issue with some fighter that was needed (required), can't remember which one. Should I just remove that from the mission config and go with any plane..?

I'm happy this got into the competition. I see the similarities to Space Engine too. But there again there are soo many space games coming forward, its not hard to get some that look similar. But it is striking the look of Cosmos to Space Engine.

I think I and author of space engine trying to really show space and using the same raw textures (from NASA in public domain). But I am not trying to be like space engine (I not very like his design). I have my own style and want to make the most like real photos but with higher contrast and saturated colors. I'm trying to be like real photos and not trying to be like Space Engine. Photo is better them Space Engine and I take as example photo. And I have my own method for postprocessing of textures. When I make Earth I see many photos and videos and searching more beautiful version and trying to make it in-game. While that turned out not very much, but I have spent a not much time for design as I would like.

Edited by John87

the space stuff doesn't appeal to me very much but this guy is on a mission. And it's amazing.

I would only like to be able to fly between Stratis & Altis & a Carrier far at sea. that would be dream come true.... In multiplayer. That would just be crazy. Now the C130, F18 , C17 , Carrier etc all gain a purpose. With a restriction so planes like a C130 cannot reach the moon ;)

Epic stuff

I think I and author of space engine trying to really show space and using the same raw textures (from NASA in public domain). But I am not trying to be like space engine (I not very like him design). I have my own style and want to make the most like real photos but with higher contrast and saturated colors. I'm trying to be like real photos and not trying to be like Space Engine. Photo is better them Space Engine and I take as example photo. And I have my own method for postprocessing of textures. When I make Earth I see many photos and videos and searching more beautiful version and trying to make it in-game. While that turned out not very much, but I have spent a not much time for design as I would like.

Very interesting. Thank's for the perspective, sounds extremely ambitious.

the space stuff doesn't appeal to me very much

for me too. Most of the time I spent at the code and arma script, I had to solve a lot of problems with the arma engine. I had a little time for stars and it turned out bad and spoil all impression from space. I hope that will rework it.

---------- Post added at 01:37 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

Oh, is it working now, had an issue with some fighter that was needed (required), can't remember which one. Should I just remove that from the mission config and go with any plane..?

if fa18 required you need download part2.rar (with fix included) and unpack content of the archive to Arma3 folder with Replace.

http://www.moddb.com/members/john831/addons/cosmos-engine-part-2

If you want other planes, not only default, Tell me list of planes what needed and I will add support it to the game. I disabled any other plane specially as temporary solution. Arma has bug (some scripts work with errors) when plane hasn't in config (simulation = "airplane"). I need make new config with small fix (simulation = "airplane").

Also later I'll write a tutorial on how to change the config to make any plane supported.

Edited by John87

Is it possible that there will be multiplayer compatibility in the future so we may fly to Islands as you have it now?

note: Space Engine and it's author is not related to that Cosmos mod in any way ...

that's what the SE author told me

if fa18 required you need download part2.rar (with fix included) and unpack content of the archive to Arma3 folder with Replace.

http://www.moddb.com/members/john831/addons/cosmos-engine-part-2

I got it working with the second download. The only problem is it crashed after I got into space and now it won't load the mod without crashing. But I'll persevere with it and see if I can sort it out.

Its very impressive anyway, I like the idea:).

This mixed with planet landings (small areas), i.e. islands that the series has available in official and player made islands (I have around 300 I think), could be really something special. Although of course all islands would not be usable, but if it was a stand alone mod and setup as it is now, I would have thought many of the islands could be usable. Or am I getting ahead of myself here.

Maybe, or hopefully, we may see more of this mod and BI pick it up at some stage and run with it a little. Space is huge at the moment, pun intended..:D

What issue you have?

I don't know autors of SpaceEngine and don't using anything from SpaceEngine. CosmosEngine and SpaceEngine fully different things. I saw video of SpaceEngine and it all. The list of developer are from SpaceEngine, but not from CosmosEngine.

thank you for clearing that up. You can see how it peeked my interest tho being as you only had one post and that the two part were not released at the same time. anyway I got a chance to try it today and its very impressive so far. there are a few issues which I will send you a pm about rather than discuss here. Good job so far!!

Is it possible that there will be multiplayer compatibility in the future so we may fly to Islands as you have it now?

Well currently it needs to change mission if you want to fly from land to another. Well maybe something like changing server, so every server runs different map, when flying to another land could be possible somehow but that must be a lot of work to do something like that.

But I don't know what kind of a black magic John uses so we'll see :D

How realistic it is? Is there proper orbital mechanics, Inertia And reentry efects?

Old Orbiter and KSP fan here!!

How realistic it is? Is there proper orbital mechanics, Inertia And reentry efects?

Old Orbiter and KSP fan here!!

A little more sci/fi I think, than KSP or Orbiter. But early days yet, perhaps that will change.

A little more sci/fi I think, than KSP or Orbiter. But early days yet, perhaps that will change.

I must say that would be enough for my needs.

I'm getting an out of memory error every time I reach about 29-30 000 meters up, like some engine transition is failing. I have 8 gig ram and ~33% used before launching Arma 3. It's dissapointing.

[uPDATE]

Fixed using -malloc

Edited by LowFlyZone