Sign in to follow this  
SG_Smokintodd

Cosmos Engine; This Mod Blew Me Away

I can't wait for the part2 download to test this thing! I'm still collecting my jaw from the ground :p

I can't wait for the part2 download to test this thing! I'm still collecting my jaw from the ground :p

Not sure what the holdup is. He mentions that the ModDB admins have to approve it but that was 2+ days ago.

Not sure what the holdup is. He mentions that the ModDB admins have to approve it but that was 2+ days ago.

Well judging on the positioning of the main Islands Lemons/Stratis (Marina), it's correct on planet earth. What I'm excited about, is not necessarily the ability to fly from the two islands, while that is pretty sweet, what I'd like to see is better blending of the atmosphere at those altitudes. The clouds are looking distorted, and I know for a fact that without the mod the clouds are fine. So if the clouds were fixed, and you could still properly see land from infinite miles (almost), than that means Sub Pixel rendering would work amazing wonders. What does Sub Pixel Rendering mean? Basically, if we could get rid of that ugly circle restriction from view distance, Arma would look so much fucking better, and have the potential to perform so much better as well.

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

I don't know how he does it, but if we could get that kinda view distance with very little lag or performance hit, than this would be ground breaking.

The clouds are looking distorted, and I know for a fact that without the mod the clouds are fine.

thats definately not true, clouds in a3 are screwy at high altitudes and thats a known problem.

Btw does anyone remember that in alpha it was possible to see the whole Stratis even with low view distance when you were enough high in the air but it was removed later?

thats definately not true, clouds in a3 are screwy at high altitudes and thats a known problem.

well, they re screwy, but that honestly depends on your settings. My clouds are generally on Ultra, and they almost always look perfect. The times when they are screwy, is when they're scattered, or when your maybe super high up, but that, i believe, is because they toned down the distance clouds re seen from, making them look like a circle below you. (and if i'm not wrong, alot of TruSKY settings are editable, but i'm not sure the status on those) The clouds can be adjusted. But the best to hve them on when flying high is pretty much between 70/80-100% overcast.

I don't know but I'm having issues with this mod currently and would definitely like to hear from the creator.

It looks awful close to this :

http://en.spaceengine.org/index/0-3

Which dwarden is listed among the developers. Hopefully john can come in here and clear the air.

You guys have me excited with all the comments, looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about after work today...

Gave it the 100th vote for MANW... :)

This is madness!!! Someone needs to let Abs know about this so he can add some Trek goodness :)

This is madness!!! Someone needs to let Abs know about this so he can add some Trek goodness :)

+1. Abs mod + this one = epic win !

Just to clarify couple things how going from Startis to Altis works.

You maybe wonder why the missions are campaign at first but the reason is when you fly from Startis to land Altis, the game need to change mission in the middle. So this is only singleplayer thing now and this doesn't "really" combine those maps. This is likely a thing if you want to go on the moon etc. planets also. But the game doesn't need to load any mission when you fly high and observe the earth and space.

It's a cool singleplayer mode and it's awesome to see land over the view distance when you go enough high. Need to explore some space later :D

Edited by St. Jimmy

maybe this guy is able to do things which even BI isnt able to do with theyr engine.

maybe this guy can fix the old-wrecked engine.

I'm sure you really don't know well BIS

well, they re screwy, but that honestly depends on your settings. My clouds are generally on Ultra, and they almost always look perfect. The times when they are screwy, is when they're scattered, or when your maybe super high up, but that, i believe, is because they toned down the distance clouds re seen from, making them look like a circle below you. (and if i'm not wrong, alot of TruSKY settings are editable, but i'm not sure the status on those) The clouds can be adjusted. But the best to hve them on when flying high is pretty much between 70/80-100% overcast.

it doesnt depend on your settings, you can observe the dark circle (that also appears on ground level occasionally) everytime you pass through the clouds vertically, its 100% reproducable and engine/trusky related...

Flying to another island by loading a different mission was already possible 13 years ago, the first space mod that displayed a picture of the earth below the player was released in 2003. Nothing new, no need to go crazy.

Flying to another island by loading a different mission was already possible 13 years ago, the first space mod that displayed a picture of the earth below the player was released in 2003. Nothing new, no need to go crazy.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/19280

But what if BIS were to use this kind of technique for beyond view distance visualization? Essentially you can see the island from infinite view distance (Of course depending on the weather), and this would be a useful feature. Would really catch up to some other games where they don't really have the Circle view distance restriction anymore.

So is this working for anyone? Part 2 is uploaded but I'm not at home to test the mod.

if i told you guys i am crying right now, would you believe me? This shit brought me to tears. First off, i was going to comment on how this is why we need sub pixel rendering so we can pull off lag-less unlimited view distance. But then, the dude went to space, and i was in awe. Then the dude went to the fucking moon, and i lost it. Wholy fuck. He wins. On my terms the creator of this is legend.

lol ....