Sign in to follow this  
DancZer

Why do we have such a low FPS in multiplayer(MP performance vs SP performance)

64bit isn't going solve FPS problem (even if some specific 64bit operations're used it will be in fraction of %)

ive heard that the devs are working on a 64bit version, is that true ? if yes, what will 64bit solve ? the 2gb memory limit ?

ive heard that the devs are working on a 64bit version, is that true ? if yes, what will 64bit solve ? the 2gb memory limit ?

the main advantage of 64bit build is addressing limit increasing from 4GB (that's max for 32bit LAA application on 64bit OS) to 8TB or more (64bit LAA application n 64bit OS)

the main advantage of 64bit build is addressing limit increasing from 4GB (that's max for 32bit LAA application on 64bit OS) to 8TB or more (64bit LAA application n 64bit OS)

ok thank you

Sorry but you didn't answer if they still work with that or if they have abandoned this work for other reasons? :)

Sorry but you didn't answer if they still work with that or if they have abandoned this work for other reasons? :)

it's experimenta wip but no eta or details to be given ....

now,for player numbers over 50 the server FPS drop is larger with each new player

Could we help somehow to diagnostic the server behavior on large player count? Do you have dedicated servers for that, just like you had for RC?

I would play on those., but to achieve 50+ it should be vanilla.

Well I just played some Tactical Battlefield that got RHS and AiA TP mods also. Constant 50-60fps (though I've adaptive vsync so 60fps is my gap) in full 60 players server.

Objective Detail on Standard and everything else ultra except AA 4x.

So in pure PvP the performance can be very great!

Edited by St. Jimmy

In general, 50-60fps with your rig isn't that great. (dat 4,7Ghz)

It could and should be higher. :)

'Small' improvements that collectively improve the FPS by 3 or 4 ain't gonna cut it.

In general, 50-60fps with your rig isn't that great. (dat 4,7Ghz)

It could and should be higher. :)

'Small' improvements that collectively improve the FPS by 3 or 4 ain't gonna cut it.

In a game like Arma I think it's great because I rarely see that kind of fps in singleplayer except if I'm alone in the editor. I even hit GPU bottleneck sometimes in a forest on that 50fps. A hickup was maybe 45fps because it was very rare to see under 50fps on that session.

But naturally I could accept more and stable 60fps would be everything I need currently because of my monitor :P

Edited by St. Jimmy

BIS should start working on dx11.2..

that will not solve anything, limit the userbase (due to hardware / OS) etc.

please be realistic, the optimizations and improvements have nothing to do with 'version of DirectX API' used

please be realistic

Arma 3 fully utilizing client hardware, and BIS releasing more MP scenarios (similar to the ones the community makes&plays, but done properly), is a realistic way to get better multiplayer performance. :)

every NVidia card that support dx11 support 11.2 and 12..about OS I don't think it will limit the player base..look at battlefield 4 it supports dx11.1 and people using win7 can still play without problem..win10 is coming next year and its getting positive review from win7 users..the tiled resources are very useful for games like arma..

I want to share my experience from today KotH. I have literally 3-5 FPS, when a jet shooting the city and make lot of damage in buildings. Basically unplayable. I haven't played any other MP mission, so I'm no sure that this is KotH related or it's an arma issue.

server FPS is irrelevant to your client FPS unless it's too low (under 5fps) ...

when that happens it start to negatively affect script scheduling, AI processing, predictions, updates etc.

server FPS maximum at 50 is enough to process all the server needs to

anything more would be waste of resources

(e.g. prediction which is discarded due to newly received update or new prediction in next frame)

MP optimizations are also ongoing work in progress

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

64bit isn't going solve FPS problem (even if some specific 64bit operations're used it will be in fraction of %)

Dwarden, I know BI knows that arma3 has a server fps issue. Everyone wants to know if you guys are going to fix it??? Just get to the point and let everyone know instead of beating around the bush on all answers.

Everyone wants to know if you guys are going to fix it???

Didn't he just say it?

MP optimizations are also ongoing work in progress

And there has been a lot of improvements.

Didn't he just say it?

And there has been a lot of improvements.

Can't really say that i have noticed this "lot improvements" regarding performance.

Dwarden, I know BI knows that arma3 has a server fps issue. Everyone wants to know if you guys are going to fix it??? Just get to the point and let everyone know instead of beating around the bush on all answers.

I too would like better fps not even demanding 60, keeping over 30 and I'd be happy.

Personally have seen Dwarden on the mp servers that were set up to gather information and test multiplayer to try get better performance. Hopefully to you this answers ,they're actually trying to fix it.

it's long bloody battle for FPS and smooth MP and everything being simple, effect and just working ...

sacrificed whole divisions of my hair to the war effort...

Can't really say that i have noticed this "lot improvements" regarding performance.

Can't say I have either. Sorry but MP is pretty bad unless I'm looking for a small coop with maybe 5-8 people. SP isn't great either but it is much better than MP at least I guess.

it's long bloody battle for FPS and smooth MP and everything being simple, effect and just working ...

It's very simple formula!

Less AI FSM = More FPS (both server and subsequently client).

Have seen some very ugly code, and island spammed with thousands mission objects, which has no significant downward effect on client FPS even at high player count (80+). As long as there isn't some nasty error in a loop, I found things run fine. HC and CPU/Network load-spreading of AI FSM in my opinion is the only thing worth focusing on with respect to FPS.

Also, beware of the negative Nancy's like the member above ^. Seems they are projecting their general attitude onto their A3 experience.

I can totally understand this, and I've only created crappy missions. Thanks for your hard work Dwarden.

STABLE branch is all you need ! no mods

(pretty please) needs a lot of players to speed up testing and analysis ;)

if all goes well it may lead to noticeable performance gains server side

yes, there is victory bonus on those KOTH servers

EU server 1, 2x 90 players (4core 3.7GHz Xeon)

94.23.112.9:2102

94.23.112.9:2202 *down

US server, 1x 110 players (6core 3.7GHz Xeon, let's torture it bit)

192.99.47.216:2102

US server, 2x 90 players

192.99.47.216:2202 *down

192.99.47.216:2302 *down

EU server 2, 3x80 players (2x10+10HT 2.5GHz Xeon)

KOTH (PvP) 37.187.132.224:2102

37.187.132.224:2202

37.187.132.224:2302 *down

Blitzkrieg (PvP) 37.187.132.224:2602

37.187.132.224:2902

note: some servers MIGHT be offline due to updates or to 'concentrate' players into primary ones

for start only 1st server on each machine runs if they get full I add more

note: list of servers http://arma3.com/servers (remember it shows also offline servers)

note: client-side low fps (sp/mp) is different problem and will need another fixes !

bonus for ADVANCED server / client users:

1.34 perf3/prof3 available : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/AABSuQ8Jt5VlovUX86pi5iFRa

(client isn't needed, optional as we fixed some crashes (for server but client can have same))

use the performance binaries if you don't know what profiling is for ;)

if you want to share logs with me, best to discuss what I need over Skype

thanks everyone for taking part in test

Source:http://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/2man1j/join_chimera_test_servers_engine_serverside/

I have been playing on EU server 2, it is a little bit better then the stable.

I have asked multiple players and we all noticed huge FPS drop while the jet shooting buildings in the city. Mine was 2-5 FPS during the attack. Why is that?