bad benson

Enhanced Movement

erm, because the vanilla game has one by default now.

By default, Stamina is off, that's why I thought the default bar was away.

Now with TPW_MODS, I found a conflict : the stamina penalty for jumping and climbing is not inflicted (stamina reset).

Not sure if it's more on your side than on his side... but I really want to use both your mods. If you can have a look ?

Edit : the conflict is with TPW_FALL

What a fantastic mod! Something, in the first impression, so small and "not applicable to a military sim",

but while playing with it more and more it becomes apparent - it should be an integral part of vanilla Arma 3, no doubt!

Thanks again for working on this tirelessly, Bad!

By default, Stamina is off, that's why I thought the default bar was away.

are you 100% positive on that? pretty sure it's on by default. might be your settings from the old version sicne they are saved on your profile. i'll have to double check for sure though sicne now you got me scared. not my intention to disable stamina, it was always jsut as an option for people. i don't even use it myself unless i test stuff.

PLS make the systemChat messages with "custom fall damage", "falldamage inter[...] activated" and "[...]_core key handler init[...]" as diag_log or per debug variable... everytime on missionstart that masseges... that are debuging or rpt stuff no chat user stuff...

• Like 2

are you 100% positive on that? pretty sure it's on by default. might be your settings from the old version sicne they are saved on your profile. i'll have to double check for sure though sicne now you got me scared. not my intention to disable stamina, it was always jsut as an option for people. i don't even use it myself unless i test stuff.

Well, it's possible that's the former settings that made it to the next version in an alternate form (because it was on before). I don't want to scare you ! :)

You didn't answer about the stamina reset in relation with TPW :(

It's a popular mod, I expect many will be affected by this issue, it would be very nice of you to check it out !

@nikoteen: you should ask TPW about that. i'm only substracting from the current stamina so it works with whatever else is influencing stamina. sounds like he on the other hand is always setting it to 0 or something.

PLS make the systemChat messages with "custom fall damage", "falldamage inter[...] activated" and "[...]_core key handler init[...]" as diag_log or per debug variable... everytime on missionstart that masseges... that are debuging or rpt stuff no chat user stuff...

will do. you should bring up such things before i update and not right after. not really intrigued by the idea to update just for such a petty little thing. but will do it for sure in the next update.

@nikoteen: you should ask TPW about that. i'm only substracting from the current stamina so it works with whatever else is influencing stamina. sounds like he on the other hand is always setting it to 0 or something.

Ok thanks !

watch your stamina. you need some to climb. i'm considering to remove that again though. i'm on and off on that. i even get confused by it myself but then again it makes sense. but i might leave the stamina block only for jumping to avoid bunny hopping but keep the climbing responsive at all times.

Oh, leave Stamina. What we only need is a short fail animation or maybe you can force the character emit heavy breathing on failed attempts.

Big stamina hit after the climb or possible Fall would be awesome. AS someone who used to run from cops for sport during party teen years -you never fail the climb, but you dead gasping for air after a few of em :p

• Like 1

bad benson, unfortunately I cannot de-pbo your files. I realized a mod of mine does not work after loading a savegame. I see your mod detects savegame loading? Is that correct? Because it says "not necessary blah...cancelling reinit" after reloading a savegame. My question: How are you doing this? TIA.

Big stamina hit after the climb or possible Fall would be awesome. AS someone who used to run from cops for sport during party teen years -you never fail the climb, but you dead gasping for air after a few of em :P

you think the hit is too small? i made sure to have different hits for different heights. maybe i gotta increase it. i think it's like a third or something for the vanilla rifleman. jsut winged it tbh.

just an idea. can you use stam to determine the animation speed? the less fatigued you are the faster you climb the wall. but when your fully fatigued you will climb considerably slower. not to replace the stam hit but to augment it.

does that sound doable just thought it was something to say. carry on good sir!! do what you do

Sorry for I didn't read previous pages. I just write these here and you tell me if you knew it already:

Sometime when I'm on foot and start moving or stop, the soldier goes prone without any reason. This happens even when I change to "Hands" or other things via menu.

I don't know how it doesn't work for me any more because on v0.61b I can't jump! It used to be fine with some old version that I had but after the update, no.

However I changed the shortcut key but still the same :(

Sometime when I'm on foot and start moving or stop, the soldier goes prone without any reason. This happens even when I change to "Hands" or other things via menu.

...hmm I thought it was just me. I am getting intermitent fails when I switch, perticularily from the scroll menu. For example I might have an RPG on my shoulder but if I quickly change using my "use" key I will go prone as well. Another example is when I approach a climbable object I hit my, (in my case) "V" key and my charactor calmly puts his weapon away, takes a knee, stands up, and then proceeds to climb over. These player actions don't happen all the time but randomly.

PS: I convinced my buddy to add EM to his mods but when he clicks to add his "use" key, the area is blank. I just wanted to add this quickly but when we get more time we'll elaborate with SS's.

Spent like 15 minutes just scaling wall to wall with moderately encumbered dude and honestly its pretty damn good as is. Hit is decent and discourages sprint from wall to wall -kinda stuff I love....

Thanks for the update! Maybe I'm hallucinating but didn't AT/AA got thrown over before climbing in previous version?

/KC

but didn't AT/AA got thrown over before climbing in previous version?

...wouldn't that be extremely dangerous,...I mean in real life?    :16_6_8:

Thanks for setting me strait LP.

@partz: Probably, IRL I wouldn't throw  it but handing it over or lowering it down in the straps. At least it wouldn't be healthy for the equipment to be thrown over :)

/KC

yea i have been digging that feature by laxemann. and it is on my to do list. but the following reasons kept me from implementing it so far.

1. i didn't make any loadouts super punished per say so far because that would, in reality, lead to blocking climbing and i found that hitting a button and having nothing happen just leads to confusion and key spam and making stuff feel not responsive. i'm really not a fan of borderline roleplay features that don't really have a real purpose as a mechanic.

more simply put: will climbing more slowly and having more sway really make people throw their launcher over a wall or would it be more an act of "i'll do this to feel more immersed"? and would only the inability of not being able to climb really make that action meaningful?

that being said. it is totally planned to increase the stamina hit based on load. so far the animation is just slowed down based on load, which is already a good way of distinction, but i think stamina should suffer more too, just makes sense.

i have nothing against penalties as long as they don't fuck with immersion. actually i like them as a vehicle for immersion and not a way to punish people or make them play in a way i personally think they should. also take BI's new sway as an example of doing it wrong. as a dev you always want to turn up effects to make sure people actually notice them to not feel like you added the mfor nothing. in the reality of actually using a feature in gameplay it often turns out that having things more subtle just adds to the overall feeling of convincingness (even a word?) without having everything in your face.

2. i'm a UI fetishist and i hate (not poor choice of words, really do hate) the scroll menu. so until i found a nice way to make it all smooth and symbiotic with vanilla UI (for example the inventory or maybe inside my self-interaction menu?) i won't do it. i have a melee system in the workings and part of it are bayonets. what i plan on doing (in the far future though) is having the possibility to have a knife and use it but also put it on your rifle as an attachement. that will also be a good system to handle throwing i think. so far i'm leaning towards dayZ mod (original) like right click in the inventory.

overall i'm a fan of small but meaningful steps and really developing a feature fully in my head and testing parts of it in small experiments before actually delivering it. all this is just future talk though. for the near future i only plan to maintain and subtly fine tune EM for people to continuously use it in their everyday play sessions.

main reason being that i just need a break from all this once in a while. need to regain motivation and inspiration and play some other stuff. otherwise everyday support and work on it starts to feel like an unpaid daily job quickly.

sorry for all the words. just trying to explain my philosophy and reasoning. eventhough after some testing one already has seen everything that EM offers and it might make it look easy because it works well, there has been a lot of work and endless trial and error to get to this point. really glad everyone gets a kick out of it though. that's the main reason i made this. for me to be able to climb and shit :lol: so it's really cool to see others enjoy it too. keep the feedback coming though. it's appreciated.

Spent like 15 minutes just scaling wall to wall with moderately encumbered dude and honestly its pretty damn good as is. Hit is decent and discourages sprint from wall to wall -kinda stuff I love....

yea. subtle is better. and actualyl playing a mission with it is often way different to the common VR test with a bunch of debug. i also think that having load as a factor in stamina hit will add some more depth and add up on the overall penalty. honestly have to test it more myself since i just put something in there that made sense to me. so please keep testign and feedback up.

@pvt. partz and Masnooper: that sounds liek a problem with animation transitions. will need to take a look at that. not being able to jump sounds weird though. when in doubt, watch your stamina. balance needs a lot of field testing though, as mentioned.

@Lordprimate: that was how it worked with the old fatigue system. i might actually add that to the overall formular. need some time to look into this more. jsut want to avoid values adding up and making it too prominent and cause ugly slo mo visuals. i foudn that 0.7 anim speed still looks good. below starts to look weird. so might have to put a cap on that, if i add that.

• Like 3

just tuck this in right here... 

unreal how it changes the gameplay :)

• Like 2

There still seems to be a problem with EM fall damage, for example using EM with
"Fast Rope by [sTELS]Zealot" when you hit the ground you die, remove the "babe_fd.pbo"
and you don't.

Is the fall babe damage script needed?

There still seems to be a problem with EM fall damage, for example using EM with

"Fast Rope by [sTELS]Zealot" when you hit the ground you die, remove the "babe_fd.pbo"

and you don't.

Is the fall babe damage script needed?

you can always try to play without it of course. that is why it is in a seperate pbo. it will most likely cause death by climbing walls though. there are severe problems in the engine and how it handles character velocity and thus collision damage is in such a bad state. in short. it will output totally wrong velocities when the character is colliding with objects (or when you are in the floating animation on an object that is not walkable). and my theory is that the vanilla damage system is not hte problem but the wrong velocity being input into it.

fast rope was the reason i had travelling speed as a factor in the last version's iteration of babe_fd and not only falling height. i totally overlooked that when rewriting it since i only tested vanilla cases, which fast rope isn't (never actually used a fast rope script in arma 3 tbh). thx for bringing that up. i should be able to fix that.

Hello

first of all, thank you for this amazing mod, I can't imagine to play Arma without this now  :)

I'd like to report what might be a bug, but i'm not sure it is really from EM.
since Arma 1.54 and your last update, my character play a animation (healing a soldier) when I'm transitionning from handgun to rifle.
It happends with Massi rifle such as HLC and other weapon mods.

if anyone as the same experience.....

I'll try to reproduce it with Vanilla Arma 3 and EM only as mod to see if it is really linked to EM.

once again, congrats and thanks for EM