bad benson

Enhanced Movement

On 9.7.2017 at 6:35 PM, Ilias48rus said:

Hi dear developers of the awesome mod, did you thought about adding some life saving movement, like jump left|right on side.on ~1m. into |lying on side| adjusted position?

you are talking about a "combat roll", yes?

believe me, i have thought about it. i probably have thought about every suggestion people made so far. i'd love to make all/most of them, trust me :f:. i usually wait until the concept is rock solid in my head before realising it.

one thought i had was use the jump key combined with direction. but i wasn't sure, if that was a good idea since it could cause a lot of accidental combat rolls. i really want to keep the one key solution intact so an extra key is kind of out of the question. will have to think about it more. but i like the idea for sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------

been dragging out the update quite a bit. sorry. working on finalising it now. had some real life stuff like enjoying the summer and other more serious/tedious things. but the update is almost done. i cleaned up a lot of the interaction code. boy oh boy what a mess. it's so embarressing to look at super old code you made before you even knew slightly what you were doing :dummy: but the learning never stops and it feels very satisfying to replace it with nicer and leaner stuff.

i also got distracted with some cool things (mod ideas and prototypes). so i was probably more active than it seemed. so stay tuned for the update and other toys!

i'm now jsut making sure i add all the easy to achieve things people suggested and i agreed to liek the object blacklist. i will probably forget some of them so forgive me in advance. i should really start maintaining an actual todo list instead of kidding myself thinking i can have one in my head lol.

• Like 9

Glad to see you are still working on this would love a fix for the human vehicle collision issue maybe disable collision with the vehicle you climb on until the player is back on the ground

8 hours ago, armatech said:

Glad to see you are still working on this would love a fix for the human vehicle collision issue maybe disable collision with the vehicle you climb on until the player is back on the ground

tbh. this one will have to come in a hotfix. it's some weird engine stuff i will need to look into. i need repro steps for starters since i don't think i experienced this. i also still don't understand why you would climb on a helo when the update that makes that an action that actually makes sense isn't even out. or are you talking WMO? i dunno. i will definately not implement loops i think. i'd rather have people not do a thing they know will do that instead of sacrificing performance.

as for the object blacklist. it's loosely implemented but i when testing i realised that many fences don't have a class name. so this might not be fully functional yet. not sure yet if i really want to search model names for certain words. seems a bit heavy. but will have to test more.

first update tonight i think. everything looks good to me.

• Like 2

Deleted...sorry wrong thread.:sigh:  

DOWNLOAD---->https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Y0VNgK9JXiSDU0MGhlVFZyOEE/view?usp=sharing

changelog

Enhanced Movement
- added: invisible roadway lod object to allow walking on anything including poorly set up models (thx again to bloodwyn for cooperation)

Enhanced Interaction
- added: support for BIS door locking
- added: access dead people's gear (or that of AI in your group) with the use key
- added: access seats from inside vehicles
- fixed: accessing ammoboxes with the use key was broken

let me know, if anything doesn't work as intended. i've been working on and off on this so i might've lost track of some things.

• Like 15

quick hotfix for the roadawy lod thingy. it wasn't removed to default position correctly sometimes. thx to Lappihuan to reporting the issue

DOWNLOAD---->https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Y0VNgK9JXiSGlkQWRXR0NrZW8/view?usp=sharing

changelog

- fixed: invis roadway lod wasn't removed properly on elevated positions (thx to Lappihuan for reporting)

• Like 2

I think sitting on chairs (ACEX Mod) is broken since the last update. Now I'm sitting 0.5m higher in the air.

My friend using the x32 Arma version and has no problems. Only with x64 Arma version.

Hi BadBenson, 

I've noticed something in the custom mission from a3wasteland.com that the enhanced movement affects AgentRev from there created a sticky charges addon here for the mission a while back and after the latest update of EM something keeps this from working properly. EM works perfectly but trying to place charges on wall, vehicles won't work unless I disable EM or use an older version (if you have one to use) I like using your mod on our servers, it makes sense to have this ability in game. Any way you could check into this on your off time? or possibly link me to the previous version's archive? Any help is greatly appreciated, love your work!

19 minutes ago, jimbob6661 said:

Hi BadBenson, 

I've noticed something in the custom mission from a3wasteland.com that the enhanced movement affects AgentRev from there created a sticky charges addon here for the mission a while back and after the latest update of EM something keeps this from working properly. EM works perfectly but trying to place charges on wall, vehicles won't work unless I disable EM or use an older version (if you have one to use) I like using your mod on our servers, it makes sense to have this ability in game. Any way you could check into this on your off time? or possibly link me to the previous version's archive? Any help is greatly appreciated, love your work!

nah man. you can't possibily expect me to read through all that. i'll fix anything i can, if you provide some more info on the cause and stuff. i mean sometimes just a video of what happens can help me see what's going on but just "it's broken" won't make me do anything. for the simple reason that it takes too much time and effort. sorry but i already got my hands full managing my own code.

the only thing really different in this update is an invisible roadway lod object that will allow you to walk on anything even if poorly set up by BIS or the author of that specific object. my guess is that there is some kind of ray cast being blocked by that or something. maybe that helps you pin down the issue.

mod conflicts are bound to happen with hacky features like this one.

same goes for the ACE thing tbh.

a little hint for other mod devs: teh helper object is called babe_em_help. it's a plane created usign createvehicleLocal. if you have a script that relies on doing ray casts downwards you might want to add that var name to be excluded from the ray cast search.

don't worry too much about it though. i will definately add an on off switch in my menu for that functionality in the next update, which will come very soon. that will atleast be somewhat of a fix. things like these is why i built the framework.

thx for letting me know though!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bad benson said:

nah man. you can't possibily expect me to read through all that. i'll fix anything i can, if you provide some more info on the cause and stuff. i mean sometimes just a video of what happens can help me see what's going on but just "it's broken" won't make me do anything. for the simple reason that it takes too much time and effort. sorry but i already got my hands full managing my own code

Completely understandable. I wasn't expecting you to dig through all that, that's my job! :P I just linked it for reference.

The info you provided on the recent additions will help me track this down,   I do believe it does rely on a ray cast of sorts and that it has a script for the prohibition of placing charges on certain objects so I'll try that.. Thank you for the info on the helper object I'm sure that's what I need! 

1 minute ago, jimbob6661 said:

Completely understandable. I wasn't expecting you to dig through all that, that's my job! :P I just linked it for reference.

The info you provided on the recent additions will help me track this down,   I do believe it does rely on a ray cast of sorts and that it has a script for the prohibition of placing charges on certain objects so I'll try that.. Thank you for the info on the helper object I'm sure that's what I need! 

that sounds good. with some cooperation this might be easily fixable on your side after all. i can share soem lines of code later to temporarily deactivate features. that way you wouldn't need to rely on the menu to have people disable it by hand. or something similar.

• Like 1

Just now, bad benson said:

that sounds good. with some cooperation this might be easily fixable on your side after all. i can share soem lines of code later to temporarily deactivate features. that way you wouldn't need to rely on the menu to have people disable it by hand. or something similar.

That would be cool, I'm always wanting to have things fixed on my end in the mission so it's as plug & play as possible for teh clients. I'm hoping a line in his code I see here is for the prohibition of placing charges on certain entities so I'm adding the babe_em_help to the line and test.

6 hours ago, jimbob6661 said:

Oh damn you're quick.

well, i'm following this thread via the forums functionality so the it will let me know instantly when someone posts with a nice notification sound. it's pretty useful for authors.

• Like 2

man. people and the stuff they come up with are amazing. check this out guys. someone reported this on steam.

as i said in the comment. almost too cool to fix it.

• Like 9

:D when we tested it we were like: "oh you can also climb on other players now! NICE!"

But that's another level!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bloodwyn1756 said:

:D when we tested it we were like: "oh you can also climb on other players now! NICE!"

But that's another level!

Boost up onto buildings and everything lol OP.

well it turned out that i already fixed this in the very last commit. it was just the helper object not getting reset properly.

19 minutes ago, RyaanDunne said:

Boost up onto buildings and everything lol OP.

boosting that way however is totally intended behaviour. i prefer this organic way over being locked in animations. and two player anims are hard to sync in MP which will make that look shit most of the time. so all this worked even before the major update.

this has been showcased in my shitty feature showcase video ages ago. it will however work much better now because you won't slip off as much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bad benson said:

man. people and the stuff they come up with are amazing. check this out guys. someone reported this on steam.

as i said in the comment. almost too cool to fix it.

I thought as you already stated this was by design since day 1. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in ArmA and was one of the main reasons I decided to start using this a few years ago to begin with lol

yea but look closely. the guy that is up first stays floating in the air while the guy below climbs onto him :don9:

1 minute ago, bad benson said:

yea but look closely. the guy that is up first stays floating in the air while the guy below climbs onto him :don9:

Ohhh yaaaa! I see now lol the shenanigans..

In relation to ACEX Sitting, it only changes animation and sets position and direction, no ray casting involved. Unit most likely gets stuck on top of the helper object while it is supposed to "fall" to the floor. 

• Like 1