bad benson

Enhanced Movement

btw. someone has been asking in the past for some way of setting anim speed overall without EM resetting it after climbing.

for that make sure your script sets this variable to whatever you want:

EM_default_animspeedcoef

so EM will still make you climb slower overall but once you're done it'll always reset to whatever that variable is.

1 minute ago, foxhound said:

The new version has been frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

Enhanced Movement v0.8.3.1 beta

PS: I could nt find any version info so I made up my own :)

thx foxhound!

if you don't mind just keep doing that in the future. i don't do versions well. with this much time between updates i always lose track. :D

• Like 1

congrats on the new relase.

this is one of the must have mods for arma 3 for me. and one i really hope BIS takes inspiration from and copies a lot of functionality. makes the game feel a lot more fluid and makes places to much more accessible!!

hm. i'm thinking i might change the way weight influences stuff. i feel it's not intuitive enough with stuff just not working. i think i will make the speed of the climb change more drastically or something but make it work always. maybe leave the weight limits optional. i thought that was how i've done it in some update but looks like stuff is being blocked again. or i just never executed the plan lol.

also the module i was planning to add at some point to handle variables server side. i dunno about that. i feel it's too intrusive just for something that only changes some variables. i think more detailed documentation of the mission variables and an example mission could be better. that way nothing gets baked into the mission that gives you trouble later when you try to open the mission without the mod present. i personally hate that and i feel it would only add more complication to an already complicated game.

i think everyone is able to place a game logic and copy paste a few lines.

• Like 2

I just read about your future plan to do some silent takedowns.
Maybe you should look into "MOCAP melee", an unfortunately pretty outdated mod made by CBS - Kol9yN.

If you could contact him and ask for permission, maybe you could build upon his work. This would make things easier for you and (at least) I'd love to see this little jewel be brought back to live.

I like that idea of not using a module.  I actually just put together a mod and did the same thing - just expect mission makers to add a few lines and as many triggers as they might want (you helped me with an issue I was having with the initPlayerLocal timing, in fact - I'm Frost on the ArmA discord). :)

If nothing is added to the mission (e.g. playing a vanilla mission, or a downloaded mission), EM would still work in this scenario, I assume?

As for the weight limits, I like optional with the default as it is now (or completely unlimited).  At the moment everything works until you hit a 45kg loadout, then it doesn't work (at least that's my perception).  As long as we can still maintain that kind of thing (or have no weight limitations), that will suit us at that far end of the spectrum of users.  Being able to climb walls and buildings (and then use Advanced Urban Rappelling to get back down) makes for a more interesting game for my group. :)

@cpl_davis i'm no really interested in that. as much as i admire those animations for what they are, i just don't like the style at all. as someone who watches a lot (kind of) of mma it just looks way too clean and choreographed. and most important it takes too long. i know that sounds like a contradiction but since i don't feel the struggle of choking someone out can be easily depicted in games in a way that i find immersive. i personally prefer things a little more low profile and leave some room for the imagination. and most important don't lock you into place too long.

i'm not even sure if i will fully visualise it. i want something very quick and responsive. i like the way it's done in the hitman games though. so who knows. maybe i'll do some anims for it later. mocap should work just fine alongside EM so it should always be possible to use both at the same time.

i'm still in the planning phase of it. we'll see. i'm thinking having it limited to a knife item could be cool. and then going for something fast and violent like battlefield. i always liked how it's done there,

@hmarcbower oh. good to see you're member of the climbing club too :D

your post totalyl confuses me though. so DO you want limits by default or not? i want it to do something always so there is always something happening. just really slow if you carry a lot of stuff. i just feel the current way where you hit the key trying to figure out if stamina is too low temporarily or, if you just carry too much, is bad.

I would prefer weight limits as optional. $.02

Thanks for making and continued support for this mod.

Sorry - by default, I'd want it to be like it currently is (status quo).  I just didn't want it to *require* the server-side elements going forward to even work, so that if a mission creator does nothing to configure its settings, it still, as you said, does something. 

(My group are also heathens who use a stamina mod... so I've never run into anything stopping me from using EM except the 45kg limit :) )

oh yea. when i say optional then i mean that by default weight would never disable the functionality so all values would be 0 by default and, if someone would want to reactivate the feature they could just overwrite the variable.

it's just like a dial that i would turn to 0 by default and peopel could turn it up. also i think your status quo is not hte status quo then, i sometimes play with stamina disabled too. but when i test i test all default. adn there it seems harsher than i thought atm.

• Like 1

Thinking of it from a mission creator standpoint, I'm sure there are communities that allow the mod only because it does have a reasonable set of default limits built in.  If the default were wide open parcour mod carrying a 100kg Bergen pack and sprinting everywhere, that might anger them such that they don't allow the mod anymore. :)  The reasonable defaults will mean that people in communities that carefully control addons don't need to worry that you're creating bunnyhopping psychos which, to control, they need to add more things to their missions.

What about server-side userconfig files for tweaking the settings that will override any local defaults/config?  Come to think of it, I haven't seen one of those in a while... maybe there's a good reason for that?

2 hours ago, bad benson said:

i'm still in the planning phase of it. we'll see. i'm thinking having it limited to a knife item could be cool. and then going for something fast and violent like battlefield. i always liked how it's done there,

How about something like a blow to the back of the head with a rifle butt? Or a pistol whip?

That would make for a quick animation and allow you to subdue the enemy without being stuck in a long winded animation. You could even have a variable for "random failure" where you hit the guy but he doesn't go unconcious.

• Like 1

Could use the existing (maybe only in ACE?) "tap shoulder" animation... Vulcan neck pinch. ;)

@bad benson: Well, those are some good points - especially the one concerning the speed.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion.

Is there any way to get this updated on PWS? They still have v0.57 as the latest version.

Just give in to the dark side and use Steam Workshop.  Once I started using it, life got a whole lot easier for mod management for myself as well as keeping our dedicated server up to date.  I know when I have a new version of something and can immediately update the remote machine.  Everything is in synch without fail for myself and all the users of my server.

• Like 2

@bad bensonI agree that it'd be a great idea if stamina and weight impact the speed of the hurdling and climbing animations, where the more tired and heavier you are the slower you go over.

I equally think that it's a great idea to make these effects optional because although Arma's a milsim at heart, no everyone is a hardcore milsimmer.

Finally, I agree that it would be awesome if a solider carrying to heavy a load (40kg max?), couldn't climb over a wall. I think it'd be more exciting if we started slowly, slowed, grunted and then stopped when reaching that critical of pulling past the chest, before dropping back down gasping for breath. Imagine the panicked horror when realising that you'll either have to drop something from your loadout or find an alternative route.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lawndartleo said:

Just give in to the dark side and use Steam Workshop.  Once I started using it, life got a whole lot easier for mod management for myself as well as keeping our dedicated server up to date.  I know when I have a new version of something and can immediately update the remote machine.  Everything is in synch without fail for myself and all the users of my server.

Thanks but I'll pass. I occasionally use the workshop for mission downloads but other than that, I hate it and won't use it. I spend a good bit of time tinkering around in my mod folders and I hate the lack of control I have over where the workshop puts the folders and how it names them. Also, some mods aren't available from the workshop (at least initially) and I prefer to keep all of my mods in the same location (of my choosing!). I don't use the official game launcher either and I find that having all of my mods in the same location is more efficient when using a third party launcher.

@cpl_davis yea i like suggestions. i just tend to drop these walls of text because i usually have pretty elaborate visions for all these things. sorry lol. coffee is also and issue. i think it's great that you can pick and choose though as long as mod makers make sure stuff works alongside eachother.

@scimitar a good and easy way to locate your mods from the workshop is go to your arma 3 folder and then up in the address bar add \!Workshop. it's a hidden folder. ofc you don't need that, if your folders are all unhidden by default.

even, if you don't like the workshop, you will easily be able to copy those folders to the arma 3 root folder to create local versions of them you can then easily manage with the arma 3 launcher incase you need a version of a mod from the workshop.

do people even know you can do that? not using the arma 3 launcher even, if all your mods are local (manually managed) seems like a waste to me. it's so convenient. arma 3 launcher =/= workshop. i jsut feel that BIS put a lot of work into that launcher and that it paid off and the hate is not reasonable.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

anyways. that's not really what this thread is about is it? :D

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

i had a report that EM stops working now after you load an SP save AFTER RESTARTING THE game. otherwise it's supposed to be fine. i'll drop some test versions for SP players. so would be great if those guys could let me know, if first of all they have this issue too and second if those test versions will fix it. sadly the whole thing is full of details that take account for all the arma quirks. so changing things can easily break stuff. sorry.

there are also some reports about error messages concerning the laser since it is not present now. since i have not had these i assume it is also SP related where old EHs remain in the mission eventhough the addon itself has been removed. i'd also like confirmation on that one and also let you know that i'll add in automatic clean up for those. should fix it.

as for the weight stuff. i'm torn now. i'm starting more and more to think that changing stuff will only cause more trouble at this point. i'm thinking going reverse and adding SP exclusive options to the menu. for MP the mission variable method always stays valid.

i'm thinking this is best because you can already change the way stuff gets impacted by simply using the disable stamina option. and i made the menu to add options liek these in a matter of minutes. and now since i rewrote it things are even faster and more flexible.

but i'll defo look into making stuff more elaborate, as in slower climb speeds more noticable. that was planned anyways but i had to be sure the slow mo bug is fixed because it is caused by that very sytem.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, scimitar said:

Thanks but I'll pass. I occasionally use the workshop for mission downloads but other than that, I hate it and won't use it. I spend a good bit of time tinkering around in my mod folders and I hate the lack of control I have over where the workshop puts the folders and how it names them. Also, some mods aren't available from the workshop (at least initially) and I prefer to keep all of my mods in the same location (of my choosing!). I don't use the official game launcher either and I find that having all of my mods in the same location is more efficient when using a third party launcher.

Every time I read this from any number of other users I am left with the question... "Why am I not having any problems?"

If you have not used Workshop and the  mod manager within the launcher in some time, give it a try, again.  I swore by MPL as it was a fantastic tool for managing everything ArmA III.  Take a look at what the author had to say...

Thanks for all of the information on the workshop and the default launcher but I'm very familiar with how they work and they still don't meet my needs. I'm not trying to come off as rude but please don't consider dislike of those features as ignorance. That is simply not the case. However, none of this is really relevant to the mod. I like the mod and will continue to use it but all that I was asking was if it is possible to update the mod on PWS. If the answer is "no", then I'm fine with that and will continue to download the mod from Armaholic.

i was just trying to help. it's not like i consciously make sure it's not updated there. all other times the six people instantly updated it themselves like foxhound has been doing for ages. probably just need to wait till one of them notices. or just let them know yourself.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bad benson said:

i was just trying to help. it's not like i consciously make sure it's not updated there. all other times the six people instantly updated it themselves like foxhound has been doing for ages. probably just need to wait till one of them notices. or just let them know yourself.

Thanks for the response and understanding. I honestly wasn't trying to sound rude or dismissive of anyone's good intentioned comments. I wasn't certain if PWS did all of the updating themselves or if mod authors had anything to do with it, such as sending notifications. It's probably just an oversight on their part. I'll send the PWS people a message soon to let them know that the mod has been updated.

• Like 1

Haven't come across any issues yet in SP. Will keep you posted :) Working great.