bad benson

Enhanced Movement

@Pablo Gonzalez

You shouldn't put this mod on the server. Just place the key in your Keys folder on the server, and make sure you have the mod loaded client side.

You bring up a good point, SC. What tells us as users if a mod is server side, client side or both. In the case of @EM, I have never had an issue with it working even though my server has both the key and the mod.

The point though is that sometimes it is not patently obvious how a mod should be installed. Some authors make it clear, others do not.

• Like 1

Understanding that AI are probably unable to "climb" because of the reasons stated, I can't help wondering (hoping) that maybe they could still "climb" but only over walls and fences??? Kinda like they did in Crysis.

• Like 1

Understanding that AI are probably unable to "climb" because of the reasons stated, I can't help wondering (hoping) that maybe they could still "climb" but only over walls and fences??? Kinda like they did in Crysis.

I guess you cannot limit them to this group of structures. Engine dont allow it. But i can be wrong.

I guess you cannot limit them to this group of structures. Engine dont allow it. But i can be wrong.

Sure you can, try nearestTerrainObjects. ;)

I'm not in BB's shoes, but if I had to guess I'd say the biggest problem is overriding pathfinding without breaking the AI original behaviour.

AI will usually go around fences and they will do so in different manners according to their combat behaviour. In fact even the most basic civ with the most basic scripted move command will avoid such obstacles.

I know a way or two to disable such pathfinding - but it also causes the AI to go through pretty much every walls... ^^'

It would be nice if we could disable the AI raycasts for some specific objects only I guess.

Sure you can, try nearestTerrainObjects. ;)

I'm not in BB's shoes, but if I had to guess I'd say the biggest problem is overriding pathfinding without breaking the AI original behaviour.

AI will usually go around fences and they will do so in different manners according to their combat behaviour. In fact even the most basic civ with the most basic scripted move command will avoid such obstacles.

I know a way or two to disable such pathfinding - but it also causes the AI to go through pretty much every walls... ^^'

It would be nice if we could disable the AI raycasts for some specific objects only I guess.

I think it could cause some immersion problems. If enemy ai and civilians can suddenly climb over walls, we will start to see them doing it a lot.It will look weird-Imagine you are surveying a patrol that is walking along-if they come to a small wall, you will see some of them start to scale over it instead of walking around it etc and then carry on their way again. 

Unless it could be limited so that ai will only use climbing when in "combat" mode.

• Like 1

Really wish BI would continue down this path such as when they gave AI ability to crawl under fences which they do surprisingly well the majority of the time. Its like that guy just quit or something..  *cough Suma*

Betcha benson would do it for the right salary :p

Hello bad benson, I have a question:
Can there be something done with Enhanced Movement to enable sliding down the ladders from a bit greater heights without losing HP/dying? Regular ARMA 3 slide-down-the-ladder works only from approximately 1.8m (height of a soldier - if I slide from a greater height than that there is loss of HP or even death if you slide from 5-6m or more tall water towers, buildings etc.)

LOL never knew you could slide down from a ladder....how do you do that?

/KC

Hello bad benson, I have a question:

Can there be something done with Enhanced Movement to enable sliding down the ladders from a bit greater heights without losing HP/dying? Regular ARMA 3 slide-down-the-ladder works only from approximately 1.8m (height of a soldier - if I slide from a greater height than that there is loss of HP or even death if you slide from 5-6m or more tall water towers, buildings etc.)

i assume by sliding you mean using the action that makes you let go off teh ladder? or did i miss the sitrep where they introduced ladder sliding.

anyways, yea i wanted ladder sliding from day one but i had to focus on the base features first. in the future when i get bored and in the mood to get some grey hairs i might fiddle with it. just letting you know that i want that too and it's somewhere on my list.

AI and climbing: this will be the last i say on this topic. just because i feel i already stated all my reasons through out this thread. it's not a matter of being able to make something work. it's a matter of making something work in a meaningful useful way that actually enhances gameplay. at least that is my philosophy and what drives me. creating clunky eye candy experiments that work 10% of the time is just not what i like to do. i mean i do constantly but once i see something won't be good i move on. probably because it will result in me wasting years of my life trying to solve it and making it perfect. i'm obsessive like that.

yes i can and i have made AI climb (cosmic was hinting at experiments i made and shared with him). it's not about can it be done. it's about can it be done well that isn't a waste of everyone's and especially my time.

AI in arma is functional for what the game tries to do. ofc i'm giving a huge pass on the indoor capability/disability here because of years of broken dreams in that area, after each sequel not having any improvements there.

but for anything micro management related, fine more advanced movements, they are simply a pain in the ass.

limiting things to only climbing over things is something i already considered and it doesn't require any nearestobjects filters or anything. the whole idea of the system is not to rely on lists of class names that require updating. it's solely based on interpreting geometry using ray casts. so that is not a problem, no worries there.

the question is: how will it be implemented.

1. AI doing it on their own, which means me entering the area of AI mods, which i will answer with a huge NOPE. i enjoy how well the AI reacts now in arma 3 as an opponent but i nearly 100% of the time play without AI squad mates simply to keep my immersion intact and the amount of AI soldiers that get executed for being dumb at a minimum.

2. allowing players to command their AI mates to climb something. this might actually happen at some point (limited to walls and fences for reasons already stated numerous times). but no ETA. in all honesty, i think it's a totally useless feature but maybe it makes sense for someone using an AI commanding mod that actually allows micro management when clearing a compound or something a la old school r6.

3. making the climb function work with AI so AI modders and mission makers can use that feature once EM is active. this si the current state of affairs.

_unit call babe_em_fnc_detect

this simulates the AI pressing the climb button and will make full use of the EM system that will make a climb happen, if all conditions are met. here's a video showing how it works on an AI that has been made into a vegetable using the "disableAI" command.

so with this one line of code any AI modder or mission maker can make it happen. imho i have provided all that is needed.

if you are an AI mod author, feel free to PM me for suggestions on how i can help you out using this.

• Like 13

Hello nice news to see that , but how is the progress on the cooperation movement ? Also with the Urban rappel mod they're is a strange bug.

When you finish the rappel the guy is falling on the ground instead of getting up. The author of the mod say that's something about your mod. 

it's not a bug. it's intended. scripted fall reaction based on falling height.

that being said. next update will have an option to turn that off too inside the module. just busy with some other stuff currently.

cooperation is possible one way by using someone's back to climb higher. for the time being this is all that there will be.

as i said nuuuuuumerous times before. the mod is considered feature complete and is in maintainance only mode. anything new will be a bonus.

• Like 3

Me and EM always seem to do the most magic things :D

• Like 8

And thats why we all have thousands of hours logged in these games ;)

• Like 2

"This is arma"..... It tells more than we should know :D

And thats why we all have thousands of hours logged in these games ;)

I'd say because of problem fixing... My ArmA session today:

- Finding the cause why savegames cannot be resumed here in one mission with a specific mod mix (cause was RHS). I removed RHS.

- Removing tinting of sunglasses which ACE gives me. It's ace_goggles and can only be removed by pbo removal

- Sorting out some serverconfig.hpp of ACE

- Sorting out some problems I had with a mission and DAC. Turned out it was because I had a specific DAC mod with RHS units, but I removed the mods.

- Renaming ArmA profile names. OH, some settings got lost.

1pm until 2:45pm: 10-15 minutes of playtime, the rest wasn't playing.

It's ArmA.

BTW in ACE I saw "Climbing", is that EM in ACE?

I'd say because of problem fixing... My ArmA session today:

- Finding the cause why savegames cannot be resumed here in one mission with a specific mod mix (cause was RHS). I removed RHS.

- Removing tinting of sunglasses which ACE gives me. It's ace_goggles and can only be removed by pbo removal

- Sorting out some serverconfig.hpp of ACE

- Sorting out some problems I had with a mission and DAC. Turned out it was because I had a specific DAC mod with RHS units, but I removed the mods.

- Renaming ArmA profile names. OH, some settings got lost.

1pm until 2:45pm: 10-15 minutes of playtime, the rest wasn't playing.

It's ArmA.

Please.... I play with RHS and cannot report this issue, and i meet it very often, please report them the bug.

The rest is usual, as i do :) I dont remember last normally played mission, as i meet some bug every minute.

No-ACE has it's own climbing. It is not quite as flexible as EM-it depends a lot on how much wieght you are carrying and only works on certain objects.But running EM and ACE together is fine-just unbind the ACE climb button.

• Like 2

I'm here (Splendid Camera position):

["altis",[16891.4,11557.7,1.46573],236.25,0.7,[-11.8085,0],0,0,778.851,0.695278,0,1,0,1]

I don't exaktly see when @em decides to let me climb into the house, only jump, or climb onto the roof. Can someone explain? Is it randomized or dependent on my approach position/speed... or where I point at?

it's not a bug. it's intended. scripted fall reaction based on falling height.

that being said. next update will have an option to turn that off too inside the module. just busy with some other stuff currently.

cooperation is possible one way by using someone's back to climb higher. for the time being this is all that there will be.

as i said nuuuuuumerous times before. the mod is considered feature complete and is in maintainance only mode. anything new will be a bonus.

I thought you were working on a way to allow units to lower themselves from walls/roofs/buildings/heights?

I thought you were working on a way to allow units to lower themselves from walls/roofs/buildings/heights?

Lol... this literally gets covered every two pages...

Look at the edge of the building/roof/ledge you want to drop off of.

Generally looking down at your feet...

Press the EM button you set and you will get the controlled drop with animation.

It's been in there since the feature complete release... gets missed a lot.

• Like 1

Lol... this literally gets covered every two pages...

Look at the edge of the building/roof/ledge you want to drop off of.

Generally looking down at your feet...

Press the EM button you set and you will get the controlled drop with animation.

It's been in there since the feature complete release... gets missed a lot.

Yeah sorry, I don't follow the EM thread too closely... will give this a try when I play next :)

Yeah sorry, I don't follow the EM thread too closely... will give this a try when I play next :)

no problem. i think i never really documented it anywhere except for adding it to the first post later.

• Like 1

no problem. i think i never really documented it anywhere except for adding it to the first post later.

Haha no worries man, just tried it it's a great feature  :D BI ought to just go ahead and include your mod in the game!

• Like 1