bad benson

Enhanced Movement

@ heyvern69.......dude, finally someone with the same experience. You can't imagine how this issue drove me mental. I have run hundreds of load cycles to nail it down to this very mod. I always thought it was something with my rig and arma in general. I was having the issue at the beginning of this year. I stopped playing the campaign and any sp mission were i had to save and load cause it was no fun at all. I was pretty sure i had tested arma extensively without mods to make sure it was not mod related. Still it turns out to be this mod, really weird. I wasted above 20 hours to figure that one out.....damn. Unfortunately this mod brings the best climb implementation to arma 3, but its unusable in this state.

@ heyvern69.......dude, finally someone with the same experience. You can't imagine how this issue drove me mental. I have run hundreds of load cycles to nail it down to this very mod. I always thought it was something with my rig and arma in general. I was having the issue at the beginning of this year. I stopped playing the campaign and any sp mission were i had to save and load cause it was no fun at all. I was pretty sure i had tested arma extensively without mods to make sure it was not mod related. Still it turns out to be this mod, really weird. I wasted above 20 hours to figure that one out.....damn. Unfortunately this mod brings the best climb implementation to arma 3, but its unusable in this state.

I totally feel your pain. You tested this problem much more thoroughly than I did, but it WAS a difficult bug to track down because it creeps up on you so SLOWLY. I only discovered the Enhanced Movement mod about 1 week ago. Unfortunately, I added/enabled 4 mods at the same time. Here are the 4 mods:

1) JSRS lite

2) Blastcore - Phoenix

3) ASR AI

5) Enhanced movement

Since the game's frame rate would slowly bog down worse & worse, I assumed it was one of the HUGE mods (JSRS, or Blastcore, or the ASR AI enhancement mod) that screwed it up. So I disabled each mod one-by-one and re-played the mission. Each time the mission starts out fine, but over a long period of time gaming (several HOURS in real-time), it slowly bogged down until it reached an un-playable state.

When the frame rate gets down into the single digits, I noticed that if I stop moving, my frame rate would immediately rocket back up into the mid-40s. But as soon as I press ANY key on the keyboard, it instantly dropped my frame rate back down to single digits faster than MSNBC's news ratings. Finally I disabled the Enhanced Movement mod while testing, and voilà. No more problem. So I went back and added the other mods one-by-one and played the mission for many hours after each mod was enabled, with ZERO problems. Lastly, I added back the EM mod and played for a few hours. Boom - the problem returned.

It really bummed me out because I LOVED - LOVED - LOVED the EM mod from the very first second I tried it. EM really is a "must-have" mod. However, it's useless in Single Player because it slowly NUKES your frame rates every time you save the mission. It's a slow drip frame-rate killer.

...and the crazy thing is that one save right after a mission starts is enough. It just depends on how often you load it. Initially i thought stuff went wrong when you played a mission as playtime passed and you finally start overwriting savegames, that somehow some errors get introduced into the new save. Wouldnt make a lot of sense. I then discovered that it was not depended on the length of playtime nor how often you saved. Rather, it seems to depend on how often you load, and i think it then carries over to new saves which you will load eventually.

So my ultimate test was to start some showcase, marksmen and Drones in my case, and save right after the start and load that very save 10 - 20 times....and oh boy, it destroyed my fps to a complete halt. Its just broken and unless theres a new release it is off my list. I often play coop with my brother and we save quite often....no wonder that he was mr. happy pants and i was totally like..... jesus, what the hell?....

By the way, in the comments in the armaholic dl section for this mod...another guy had the same problem, and he opend a savegame with some editor and he found a lot of weired coding-stuff in there related to that mod. Why EM would add anything to a savegame anyhow is beyond me....although i don't know anything about how the arma savegame system works. Wished i had read that post earlier....but one first needs to know from which direction the current streams to look in the right direction or place right? I am just happy its not something weired about arma in general or my setup. Peace.

i really appreciate the passion guys. and i'm really sorry that i didn't just make a hotfix. i really regret this decision because the public version is broken for so long. but.

as you can read some pages back, i already fixed the issue quite some time ago (sadly only internally).

for now i can only offer you a possible temporary workaround. maybe this info helps.

the problem is not saving but rather loading. in short, this is what happens: the main EM function gets initialised eventhough it already has been initialised...each time you load.

so you end up with my main function running many many times in parallel. result. dropping FPS.

so now the game has a "loaded" mission eventhandler which i first thought would be a fix. but no. too easy for arma. way too easy and logical (sane?!). the EH only mirrors the problem by only triggering on certain ways to load savegames. gg BI.

here's the catch which leads to a possible workaround for you guys: the issue happens mainly when you load your savegame from the death screen inside the mission. if you go back to the main menu and load/"resume" the mission from there it initialises stuff (cfgFunctions) differently.

so try to load from the main menu and see if you helps. or you guys could stop being scrubs and stop dying ;) i can't remember right now if the current public version is responsive to this workaround. i changed a lot since the last release, which is also the reason i didn't just wnat to release a hotfix. should've done it though...my bad. thought i would be faster with the new features.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i wish i could stop here but there's more...

recently, a few days ago, my PC decided to randomly break (power supply popped and possibly damaged other parts too).

while this put an end to my GTA 5 addiction (for now:o), which could've eventually meant that i could've put more focus on the mod again, i'm missing the tools to keep working on EM now.

i'm writing this from a old Mac (ew!) laptop with a broken battery so excuse me trying to squeeze everything into this one post (even just surfing is tedious on this thing).

so sadly progress is at a 100% hold for now since i can't afford to quickly replace the parts (if you like to help, read my signature. every tiny amount helps).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i wish i could at least make a preview video but i'm stuck with typing for the time being. so to lighten the mood a little here's some notes on what changed and what to look forward to:

fixed:

- save/load function spam

- fall damage bug causing death when leaving helicopters via script

- EM stopped working sometimes when entering a certain pistol transition animation (there's a fool proof fail safe now)

changed:

- more heights to interact with...example: vault over small walls a la bf3/4

- new animations

- new detection logic leading to more logical behavior and less possible exploits (less climbing through too small openings

added:

climbing

- sounds when climbing

- help each other to reach higher places

- drop down savely from higher places

general

- super simple alternative action menu to get into specific seats in vehicles (no more scroll menu madness under fire)

- simple system to interact with static objects to allow actions like placing boxes as stepping stones to higher places

- overall restructuring of all the code and cleaning up to make it faster and easier to maintain

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stay tuned. i'll try to keep you posted

Awesome mod, thanks for sharing. Do i need to install it on server also or its just a client side?

Awesome mod, thanks for sharing. Do i need to install it on server also or its just a client side?

I am hosting a Server running this mod, you need to add the bikey file Serverside if you want anybody to be able to use this mod. Feel free to check the server out: pirat3s.ddns.net

@badbenson: I hope you can get to get a new Computer soon to continue coding - maybe some People who like the mod might help you out with Donations.

I'm trying to donate a little bit of money (20 dollars US), but the page is not in English and I'm having trouble with logging in. I can log directly into PayPal, but I can't seem to log in through his "donate" button and I can't tell what the problem is because the error message (and this version of the paypal site) is in another language. I converted 20 bucks to 17.9760 in Euros, but I can't donate. Help?!?

-V

Edited by heyvern69

wow dude. 20 bucks is amazing :m:. i'll make sure to have a special section in the credits for donators. i would already be honored by just anyone donating at all but 20 bucks is actually gonna help me pay for stuff. so thanks a lot!

i replaced the link by an english one. but i also sent you a PM so we can try to figure out what went wrong.

No problem. The way I figure it, just to go see a movie in the theatre is really expensive now. I can easily blow 20 dollars in one night on a movie, popcorn, and a Coke. And that's just for me, not including a DATE. So why not spend twenty dollars on a mod that makes my favorite game a lot more enjoyable, when I'll probably use the mod for the next 1 to 3 years!

Honestly, I don't typically donate much money for stuff. But once in a while I do. And I REALLY like being able to climb over walls in ARMA 3, and/or bunny-hop over small rock walls. So why NOT pay for some of that happiness!!! Hey, if possible, can the climb/jump over key be user-programmable? It would be nice to chose the key I want to use for climbing/jumping over walls. Thx.

@Bad Benson: ....so you did no for quite some time that this mod was broken and unusable for singleplayer? You could have stated that issue boldly in the description of the mod so people (I for one) would not go crazy figuring out what the hell is going on. Man, i appreciate your hard work and the time this must consume. And i do hope you can make this mod an awsome addition to the arma experience. But not, at least, pointing to a very detrimental flaw in the mod that you are aware of, that actually might destroy peoples gaming experience, is beyond me.

I am sorry if i come off ungrateful and belligerent...this issue just drove me nuts, cost me many, many hours to figure out and then reading that you knew about it all along...its just very frustrating.

the info is all over this thread and the workshop comments. so what? you're mad that it took you some time to figure out? god damn...you know, shit like that is exactly why i'm so tired of the consumer types of this community. you get something for free and still you have some personal expectations and then you come here venting because they aren't met.

it took you many many hours to figure out? let me tell you. that is entirely your fault. i made a long detailed post about it literally one page before this one. and i explained and apologized for not being able to release a hot fix before that.

ungrateful? belligerent? indeed.

yes your suggestion to have a disclaimer makes total sense, but your attitude is ridiculous...maybe next time try to be less dramatic and you might just get a "will do" from my side. i'm really allergic to this shit. especially since now i can't work on the mod and people like you are fast to make emotional posts but dropping even one dollar to help me speed up recovery or even just as a supportive gesture? nooo way :rolleyes:

and just to avoid any misunderstandings. everyone being supportive and constructive is 100% appreciated, donation or not.

EDIT: i just tried finding a way to change the workshop page description from this shitty old mac via the browser. so far i can't find a way. seems i need to use the publisher tools which i'm sure don't work on a mac. so yea. i will add a disclaimer to the first post of this thread in a bit. that's all i can do right now.

Edited by Bad Benson

reread my post...right now it is you who is emotional. I told you that i appreciate your hard work and that i am not ungrateful. I just pointed out, that if you knew your mod was unusable in sinlgeplayer missions, that you could have posted that in the mods description. Other authors do that to point out current limitations and bugs. I havend't read the entire thread here. And it would not have made a difference. Only after i figured it out found this thread. It took heyvern69 a good deal of time and he was lucky that he noticed the issue right after he installed some mods.

Thx for trying to add a disclaimer to the workshop description.

i can actually change it from the browser. i was being blind. working on it now.

as for whatever is the deal with you...

But not, at least, pointing to a very detrimental flaw in the mod that you are aware of, that actually might destroy peoples gaming experience, is beyond me.

oh the blame! it amazes me how you actually put this into a reproach. only a "how dare you" missing at the end. sorry but i can't take stuff like that serious. get the sand out of your vagina, if you want to be taken seriously. it's almost funny considering how much work i put into this to make it work in this broken ass engine (or let alone building an animation pipeline from scratch) and then comparing it to all the "struggle" you must've went through. geez. stop acting like i ruined everyone's day just because something didn't work out 100% for you. you seriously need to do some reflection. be thankful that you can actually play the game (or any) right now, unlike me.

you need to reread your own post and then reread my response. your suggestion makes total sense as i've said. your entitled tantrum doesn't. lots of crying with some praise ontop is like a turd with a cherry ontop. still poop.

this is not some broken ass early access survival game i actually dared to take money from people for.

this is my hobby project that i happened to have shared with people and i'm far from trying to come across professional as you might've guessed. because i don't have to. much like you are acting out because you can, because this is the internet.

i don't give a shit because it simply doesn't make a difference. next time you want something from me make the suggestion and spare me the rest. i'm open to actual feedback. i'm just being honest to you...because i can :p and as i've mentioned i have a short fuse when it comes to exactly this. and it seems i got too much time now that i can't mod or game ;)

short version: delivery does make a difference. you should try it.

suggestion about your suggestion: i personally don't think it makes a difference sicne you have to pinpoint which mod causes it first. and people seem to mix mods a lot. once you pinpointed it it should take like 5 mins to get the needed info as i have pointed out.

• Like 1

believe of me whatever you want. You speak of consumerist culture, entitlement and the like, i don't. As a mod author, you can publish broken code and youre not responsible for what happens at the other end, not i a legal sense anyway. But as someone who most likely uses mods himself, i guess you appreciate the notion that mod creators bear some minimal responsibilty to ensure their work does not too negatively impact on peoples gaming experience. And by minimal responsibilty i mean pointing out know issues and bugs.

Yes, you are right....that statement is a bit harsh: ''And i do hope you can make this mod an awsome addition to the arma experience. But not, at least, pointing to a very detrimental flaw in the mod that you are aware of, that actually might destroy peoples gaming experience, is beyond me.'' Sorry. Short fuse or not....am i talking about your genital region?

But as someone who most likely uses mods himself, i guess you appreciate the notion that mod creators bear some minimal responsibilty to ensure their work does not too negatively impact on peoples gaming experience. And by minimal responsibilty i mean pointing out know issues and bugs.

nope. not at all. no responsibility at all. where did you get that idea? is there some secret modder codex i don't know about? and the fact that you are acting like i did it on purpose...sigh...this mod doesn't break your game or pc permanently. so please stop crying. just stop using my mod. you have bothered me enough with your customer attitude. please come to terms with the fact that i don't care at all what you think i have to do.

i give -1 fucks. seriously. you obviously still think i owe you something. i don't. if anything at all, you do owe me for allowing you to use my IP for free. i did what you asked me eventhough it won't change anything. consider yourself lucky. you got what you wanted now stfu please. you don't have a point. you're just being a crybaby...again. end of story.

You speak of consumerist culture, entitlement and the like, i don't.

no you are embodying it, hence me talking about it.

i sincerely hope you will uninstall my mod. i feel shitty knowing you are benefiting from my work hours. even moreso considering the new features the update will have.

ahhh....its funny to see you getting really worked up about it. Anyway, hope your nerves calm down soon. I am killing this tab now.

yea because it was just me talking to myself :rolleyes:. the fact you kept responding only shows me that i judged your personality 100% correctly. what's really funny is that it all started with you being worked up about it. the truth hurts so ofc you act like just a troll now. good job wasting my time and sincere apologies to anyone reading this bullshit. i'm really sorry...

Arma 3 parkour?!!! I think so!!! Great work man! This is an extremely ambitious project and a fruitful one at that! Way to go on finding a huge gap in our game and mustering up the patience and focus to do something about it! Good Work!

*Nevermind the whiny millennials; nothing is ever done well enough for the generation that does nothing* :o:

Yeah, BB nevermind the trolls, we have already lost a great Grippen mod cus RKSL Rock got ultimatedly pissed off (with reason) by a whiney troll... please don´t lose the very last drop of motivation on AmA3 (or at least with your revolutionary and must have addon... I just can´t play A3 without it, even with all those previously mentioned bugs...)

cheers!

no worries. my motivation for modding is tied as much as 0% to what some random people say. my decision to quit modding this game eventually is entirely caused by the game/engine itself.

as i said though. i will keep this mod alive as long as i can after the next big update, which should make it feature complete.

there's also gonna be some source file release of my PIP scope tech and maybe some other stuff when that happens since i've been asked about it by several people now.

i think it's best to lock this thread for now though until i have some real news. i'm tired of talking about it while i can't work on it.

Closed per request

Re-opened per request

just a little heads up for those patiently waiting for a fix. i've been back up and running for a week now and made a lot of progress. as i mentioned i first planned to release a hotfix for the version that is public right now but reviewing the code of that version i realised that even my old internal version was too far ahead to justify fixing old code just for a temporary fix.

so i basically rewrote all major systems from the ground up with the main goal being performance to get rid of the execution delay (performing the actual climb could take some time) in really heavy missions. the restructuring is done for the most part. so now i only have to move over the save game fix into the new framework and it should be good to go.

so basically it's not just a hotfix but the first half of the bigger update. most stuff won't be noticable to the naked eye but there are some minor new things like (finally!) being able to climb transparent things like fences and a brand new vehicle menu to let you easily choose between vehicle seat categories which is basically an expansion of the "use" key that was already present and a vault animation for lower obstacles a la battlefield.

i gathered some testers and will start handing out files starting tomorrow to ensure the biggest issues are gone before public release. once i have a go from the testers i will do some minor visual updates on the anims and then it should be good to go. i'd hate to give an ETA because something can always go wrong so i'll just say one week +/- a year :lol:

here's something to pass the waiting time

i don't know why but it always makes me laugh really hard. there might be some proper media before release too but this should do for now

• Like 3

tests are going well so far. with the help of Apache and his real time feedback and indepth testing i was able to iron out some major issues and really improve the accuracy of things in the process. there are still some loose ends but things are getting more solid by the hour. save game issue should be fixed but i'm waiting for tester feedback to be sure.

also here is some actual new media. this is one of the new animations i'm working on. it will be used to fill in the gap between small fences and medium walls. the plan is to have more anims for certain heights to add more variation and avoid ground clipping as much as possible. it's still WIP so some of the fingers are not animated yet. anyways enjoy.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=528853514

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=528853459

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=528853370

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=528853297

• Like 2

Awesome :)  Looking great so far. I´m very excited to see the improvements. â€‹

I am so glad to see this is being worked on again , Any chance that this will include better falling/landing anims some day ?

keep it up

PS: found out today that it is even possible to climb through open windows using your mod :)