Depends on the scenario you're trying to build doesn't it? i.e. what your OPFOR is like

I'll assume you're building the battlegroup around an infantry battalion rather than a tank regiment or something like that, in which case infantry battlegroups are typically built with a battalion-sized main component, with smaller squadron/company-sized or troop/platoon-sized elements in support. 30 Challenger 2 tanks is about 2 squadron's worth, so I'd say it's too many for an infantry-focussed scenario. A battalion-sized formation will have 50-60 combat vehicles in operation plus all the supports.

If you're building an armoured infantry battlegroup (i.e. the main element is using Warrior) then attaching a whole tank squadron with 18 CR2s to conduct armoured assaults against a mechanised, conventional opponent is legit (1st Battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers battlegroup in the invasion of Iraq was 14 Challenger 2s, 42 Warriors). However, a light infantry battlegroup (i.e. the main element is using Jackals and other highly mobile transport such as helicopters) against a less mechanised, unconventional enemy generally doesn't have a lot of armour support at all - you'd probably only need a troop's worth (4 tanks) that could be called in to support particular operations that required direct fire support.

As an example of that when the war in Afghanistan was peaking for British forces ~2010, we didn't deploy any Challenger 2 MBTs and the entire 10,000-strong Multinational Brigade relied on only four Leopard 2A5 tanks from the Danish contingent. Also we had deployed a total of only 80 Warriors (of all kinds including engineering vehicles) since their major role was force protection and occasional infantry support (used like light tanks) rather than there being a real need for traditional armoured infantry. The most numerous tracked armoured vehicles at the time were CVR(t) reconnaissance vehicles of which there were a hundred or so and tracked ATCs like Warthog and Viking (about 150 each).

I would think the environment where light infantry (inc air-assault and commando) and massed armour all operate together in combined arms would be a larger Brigade-size scenario with multiple battlegroups or the light infantry is a company-sized element attached to a armoured infantry battlegroup. So tank support available if you focussed on a light infantry scenario and their role in the conflict would probably be dependant on the particular stage of the conflict you were trying to portray. Or if you're doing a mixed infantry battlegroup - using different company-sized elements from different regiments.

So basically it boils down to what role you see your main troop element having in the conflict. If they're light role give them loads of jackals, if they're mechanised role give them loads of Ridgbacks or Foxhounds or something, if they're armoured role give them loads of Warriors.

It's not unusual to deploy just 2 companies from a battalion and make up the third and fourth rifle company from another regiment in a different role, or attach one or two extra rifle companies to a full battalion to provide permanent force protection to a supporting engineer or logistics squadron.

once you've got your main infantry component worked out you can then look at adapting your additional support elements to squadron/company size (~14-18 vehicles) or troop/platoon size (4-8 vehicles) to get the right balance of tanks, reconnaissance vehicles (Jackals and Coyotes I guess since there are no CVR(t) or Ajax type vehicle addons yet) and air support.

The mixed battlegroups that the UK sent on Exercise Black Eagle in Poland for the past couple of years have consisted of 20 Challenger 2 tanks (a single Squadron) and an infantry component made up of 30 Warriors (2 Companies worth) plus a protected mobility company and a light infantry company.

Great info, thanks for this.

Hey, just an idea! 

How about a handheld mine detector for sweeping those pesky IED:s in Takistan... ? :) The current vanilla one is a bit "futuristic"?

Mine-detector_1523313c.jpg

There is a folded one on the engineers backpack because it is something we were interested in at the time, especially as ALIVE, ACE3, and mods like EODS were being developed. As a small mod team with RL jobs, we are already immensely busy with the existing models and features we hope to release. It was our hope, and still is I guess, that we could integrate / implement something in the future to at least make the minesweeper useable. However, our focus is not currently on the equipment pack. We are attempting to get all of our other releases to a version 1 release stage. In between each new release, we will attempt to fix and update the existing packs with new features / models where applicable. The minesweeper may fall under that.  

Thanks for the suggestion, Kukus. ACE3's interaction menu is probably how we would do it, similar to what we experimented with in regards to feature that allows you to sling load your helmet onto your pack and put on a beret. It is probably possible to have the detector disappear from the rear of the pack and appear in the units hand, assuming we could find a decent animation for using it. We can hopefully take a look after our forthcoming helicopter releases, as we do have some new weapons / models to update our weapon pack with and one or two tweaks to make to the equipment pack. We may shoot you a PM closer to the time to have a talk about it.

The units work just fine when Zeus places the infantry; unit spawns without headgear, vest and backpack and then it gets added to it after a while, when the script triggers.

For us most of the problems started appearing when Zeus has added 3CB loadouts to respawn selection. When the player respawned the script didn't trigger and player spawned just with his weapon and uniform; without his vest, backpack or helmet.

Can I get it to work with zeus spawn preset somehow?

The module was designed just to be used within the editor.  I'll do some testing and add Zeus compatibility to the backlog for the BAF Units, and hopefully we can get an update into the next version of the units.

Thanks for the useful feedback.

Hi everyone and good morning.

I'm not really sure if this is an ALiVE issue or a 3CB issue, but I figured I'd pass this along just incase anyone else was having errors with 3CB Units.

My particular problem is related to not being able to use the full functionality of the ALiVE Comander's Tablet when 3CB Units is enabled in a particular mission. One of the ALiVE Contributor's troubleshooted this for me (read my logs and tested the mission in-game) and the problem apparently resolved itself once all traces of 3CB Units were removed and replaced with BLU_F.

Here's a link to the thread: http://alivemod.com/forum/1589-commander-tablet-operations-not-showing/0

Any help or insight would be appreciated. Sorry if this is more of an ALiVE related problem. If so, I'll bring this post over to their area.

Thanks for flagging this.  We'll investigate

Load up a simple mission with a Military AI Commander, Civ/Mil Placements and set them to a 3CB faction. Then place down a C2ISTAR module and make sure the operations tablet will be usable for units of your side. Then make sure that when they try to view the 3CB faction's units via the operations tablet it fails to show any.

Factions used in the mission that the problem arises in are ["UK3CB_BAF_Faction_Army_MTP","UK3CB_BAF_Faction","UK3CB_BAF_Faction_Navy_MTP"]

Just to make sure you can properly repro before spending too much time on it.

Well, spent more time trying to repro on a blank canvas, all seemed to work fine. Not sure where the issues arises but might be due to some other script\mod issue in that mission where the problem was observed.

As of right now, not seeing any issues with 3CB, sorry for the false alarm :)

Thanks fellas!

• Like 1

@spyderblack723  thanks for the update.  Please let us know if you do find an issue with 3CB units

Greetings, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I'm having this issue where all the 3BAF units (except the static) do not have any gear on. They have their weapons and uniform but no vest, backpack (if any) nor helmet. Kindly note that the equipment are available on Virtual Arsenal and useable.

Greetings, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I'm having this issue where all the 3BAF units (except the static) do not have any gear on. They have their weapons and uniform but no vest, backpack (if any) nor helmet. Kindly note that the equipment are available on Virtual Arsenal and useable.

Go to "optionals" in CBA main folder, and move "cba_enable_auto_xeh.pbo" file to Addons folder.

Actually - you don't need to use the Optional PBO to get it to work... they work fine. BUT you are running another mod that is breaking the 3CB scripts.

The CBA compatibility pbo "may" fix the problem but it's worth removing your mods one by one to work out which one is actually broken so you, and we can tell the author.

So to be clear 3CB_units are not bugged in this instance - another mod you are running is not coded to the most recent standards and is breaking our mod.

Hope that makes sense ?

SJ

SJ is it possible to make a uniform with jacket

For ceremony and parades

Sure it's possible... but we don't have anyone with the modelling and rigging skills to do it :-) more's the pity.

We've been lucky to have loads of source material donated to us over the last 12 months... more than we have time, Skill or Physical people to manage - we're recruiting btw.... ;-)

But uniforms is a sore point for sure - we'd love to be able to take the skins to the next level and simulate PCS properly, we did have some great source material from one the original RHS guys, but he's disappeared and we cannot use it without permission.

Anyway - the answer is yes in principle, but no idea when or if we will have the resource.

SJ

Tnx for respons.

I gonna try to talk to the guy frome @mtp_packet

He has a jacket, maybe you can use that one

Load up a simple mission with a Military AI Commander, Civ/Mil Placements and set them to a 3CB faction. Then place down a C2ISTAR module and make sure the operations tablet will be usable for units of your side. Then make sure that when they try to view the 3CB faction's units via the operations tablet it fails to show any.

Factions used in the mission that the problem arises in are ["UK3CB_BAF_Faction_Army_MTP","UK3CB_BAF_Faction","UK3CB_BAF_Faction_Navy_MTP"]

Just to make sure you can properly repro before spending too much time on it.

Well, spent more time trying to repro on a blank canvas, all seemed to work fine. Not sure where the issues arises but might be due to some other script\mod issue in that mission where the problem was observed.

As of right now, not seeing any issues with 3CB, sorry for the false alarm :)

Thanks fellas!

You got Arma'd that's all  :D

Any chance we can see editor names cleaned up and organized? So we have Air Force, Army, and Navy factions, as opposed to BAF-3CB; BAF-3CB, Army MTP; BAF-3CB Navy MTP; and BAF-3CB AirForce? To simplify it and make the whole thing look neater.

@Aniallator, whilst your suggestion makes perfect sense with our current units, the reason for the MTP in the faction name is that we have other camo patterns in the pipeline.

• Like 1

2 questions...

1. Will the vanilla NATO drivers be replaced with British troops in Jackals/Coyotes in future update?

2. Will motorized groups be included in factions so that using a 3CB faction with Alive will allow for both infantry and vehicles/aircraft populating?

@autigergrad: To do both of those we will have to make the vehicles a dependency of the unit pack. Ultimately that will probably happen at some point in the near future as we continue to churn out new vehicles and equipment.