dreadpirate

Jebus - Just Editor Based Unit Spawning

Your welcome Avibird1. I just want to give a big thx to Dread for all his hardwork on JEBUS.

• Thanks 1

@dreadpirate if you every get around to a new update could you think about this. like you did with the Variable name now is carried over after the units spawn. This  works out great to get a new spawned AI groups to join a pre existing group in the mission Thank you for that.  Now for some reason code in the spawned group init does not carrier over as well (maybe I am doing something wrong) But I would like to add Dostop  and a setFormDir  to a group that will spawn by JEBUS to really be able to setup a close quarter combat in a house with very small triggers throughout the house to allow the units to move again. This works out great with editor placed units but Jebus the units will automatically move back into formation and auto rotate back to the default north position 360. Avibird

Can someone explain to me the difference between caching units and reducing units? Thanks

Yes caching units all the units get delete it from the map and respawned when the range trigger is set off.  Reducing the group leader is still on the map following what ever waypoints are setup and the rest of the units of the group gets spawned when the trigger is set. 

This is my understanding. Also the Reduced group members in theory can be killed if a mortar strikes the area that the group should be in but I could be wrong about this ?

On 7/27/2018 at 3:39 AM, avibird 1 said:

units get deleted

@avibird 1 is correct but please be sure to understand that cached and/or reduced units are not deleted, they are hidden. As for can they killed? Good question, apart from being hidden the reduced units are also simulationfalse which may protect them, but that doesn't help the leader if he cops a mortar round to the head.

Simulation false protects from immediate damage, but still registers, so when they enable simulation they get instantly killed if they were killed before

it was quite a problem when caching vehicles since sometimes they would explode with simulation false so nothing happened, then the player got near and they exploded for real

1 hour ago, fycj said:

Simulation false protects from immediate damage, but still registers, so when they enable simulation they get instantly killed if they were killed before

it was quite a problem when caching vehicles since sometimes they would explode with simulation false so nothing happened, then the player got near and they exploded for real

I've been taking a break from JEBUS, but I'd certainly like to make it so caching completely deletes units rather than just hiding them. 

Another feature I want to add is templates: Save a group as a variable and then have the ability to spawn it from a trigger or another script, reducing the number of units on the map. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dreadpirate said:

I've been taking a break from JEBUS, but I'd certainly like to make it so caching completely deletes units rather than just hiding them. 

Another feature I want to add is templates: Save a group as a variable and then have the ability to spawn it from a trigger or another script, reducing the number of units on the map. 

What does reducing units on the map do? I understand that multiple units can cause performance loss but I thought Jebus reduced that performance hit by spawning units only when they are needed?

Is that correct or do placed units cause a performance hit regardless of them de-spawning and then respawning upon a trigger activation?

5 hours ago, Blitzen88 said:

What does reducing units on the map do? I understand that multiple units can cause performance loss but I thought Jebus reduced that performance hit by spawning units only when they are needed?

Is that correct or do placed units cause a performance hit regardless of them de-spawning and then respawning upon a trigger activation?

Currently it hides them and disables simulation. So technically, they are still on the map, just not causing the same performance hit as they would if fully active. 

Can someone explain how I could set up an end trigger to stop unit spawning when a sector is captured?

EDIT: Can anyone also explain/tell me a way to delete dead AI bodies after they have been spawned with JEBUS?  The bodies start to add up after awhile.  Thanks!!

Thanks. 

Edited by Blitzen88
New Question

Hi Dread

Quite a while ago, December 29 last year to be exact, you kindly offered a suggestion on how I can move the jebus and gaia folders from root to a new folder called scripts:

On 12/29/2017 at 4:44 AM, dreadpirate said:

Installing to a sub-folder

1. Copy the jebus folder into your mission sub-folder (eg scripts)
  2. Copy description.ext into your mission folder (or merge description.ext with yours)
  3. Edit description.ext to point to sub-folder (eg #include "scripts\jebus\cfgFunctions.hpp")
  4. Proceed as normal

Despite these changes, it appears that the script still won't work unless jebus and gaia folders are in the root. Can you think of anything in the script itself that still might be attempting to call to the root after these folders are moved? I absolutely acknowledge that Jebus works as is and I will accept this again if required; however I thought I'd give it a shot none the less.

Any errors of missing files? Open all files in those two folders and check for incorrect path location. Also check cfgFunctions.hpp file too.

6 minutes ago, HazJ said:

Any errors of missing files? Open all files in those two folders and check for incorrect path location. Also check cfgFunctions.hpp file too.

While script errors did appear when I attempted to move the folders before I asked Dread his advice, strangely not anymore. Even DEBUG doesn't work because it appears that Jebus just doesn't initialise. Regardless because Dread's instructions were so succinct I just wanted to check whether he knew straight away where I've gone wrong. To answer part of your question as well I did go through files including the hpp files to change paths with no success.

10 files found with: scripts\gaia\

2 files found with: scripts\jebus

(after edit)

Also, remember to change:

file = "jebus";
// TO
file = "scripts\jebus";
// cfgFunctions.hpp

Works fine here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HazJ said:

10 files found with: scripts\gaia\

2 files found with: scripts\jebus

file = "jebus";
// TO
file = "scripts\jebus";
// cfgFunctions.hpp

Ah! Thank you mate!

Hey @HazJ

I confirm your version definitely working, but when I try to make the necessary changes I'm still getting something wrong.

When you say for example scripts\jebus has 2 edit counts, is that after editing description.ext as well as jebus\cfgFunctions.hpp? If description.ext is not included in your list of edits, I can only find 1 count.

Can't remember. I am AFK atm and won't be back until late this evening. Check the example download, see link above.

7 hours ago, HazJ said:

Can't remember. I am AFK atm and won't be back until late this evening. Check the example download, see link above.

I did and spent some time looking through yours and mine trying to find the difference. Anyway, you've been very helpful and I will persevere :)

edit: brain fart. I had Jebus commented out in description.ext which is its default state in our script pack. So should be good now

@dreadpirate

I am creating a mission with GAIA and the respawn,and the mission zone covers a large radius.

I want a few squads to start spread out evenly around the zones BUT them to specifically respawn at their marker position.

Is there anyway to cancel out their initial deployment position after mission start,and have them only utilize markers given to them via the respawn marker array?

1 hour ago, redarmy said:

@dreadpirate

I am creating a mission with GAIA and the respawn,and the mission zone covers a large radius.

I want a few squads to start spread out evenly around the zones BUT them to specifically respawn at their marker position.

Is there anyway to cancel out their initial deployment position after mission start,and have them only utilize markers given to them via the respawn marker array?

The initial deployment position will always be a respawn option.

You could always just have a normal group at mission start and when that group is eliminated, have a trigger that is synchronised to a JEBUS group at one of your desired marker positions?

6 hours ago, dreadpirate said:

The initial deployment position will always be a respawn option.

You could always just have a normal group at mission start and when that group is eliminated, have a trigger that is synchronised to a JEBUS group at one of your desired marker positions?

Iv been away too long,had not even thought of doing it in such a way.

perfect,cheers man.

Whats the best way to clean up dead bodies from Jebus spawns?

Been looking at the built in “garbage collector” but I dont know if that works with spawned units

18 hours ago, Blitzen88 said:

Whats the best way to clean up dead bodies from Jebus spawns?

Been looking at the built in “garbage collector” but I dont know if that works with spawned units

I have been assuming that the default garbage collection works with spawned units and vehicles, but maybe I need to do some testing.