mcruppert

Jurassic Arma - Raptor Pack

yea i can't do much there. "remotecontrol" command doesn't allow usual UI scripting methods. i think BI only used that instead of the "selectplayer" command so you don't see a kill message once you kill the zeus controlled unit. way easier approach for them but bad for mods. sadly.

i thought the game crashed since you said "breaks the engine". some more detailed feedback on that would still be interesting eventhough i can't do much there. so far you've been a bit vague.

i might try to make my own remote control module using "selectplayer" but honestly i'm not trying to fix all the old issues here but rather provide a patch ontop that takes a totally new approach but also only focusses on AI.

if you are eager to use player raptors you should either use a dedicated slot or some light scripting using said command. should be easy enough since zeus is mostly played privately and there you can use a user made or the default dev console to spawn the raptor and switch into it.

i don't want to get too side tracked here since i think it's a minor thing and AI raptors are more needed anyways. plus stupid engien quirks VERY quickly kill my motivation so i'm inclined to not touch it.

• Like 2

Anyone else finding the raptors attack everyone?Including independent soldiers? I was trying to use the for some screenshots with independent guys, but they kept attacking me.

isn't that a good thing?

please elaborate on what exactly you need. i could add a faction or side filter to the new module i'm working on. the AI is 100% new and performs waaay better both in terms of effectiveness and performance so there is still room to add additional things. i recently added damage and speed modifiers too so you can make the raptors faster/slower and stronger/weaker. the idea is to have as much useful options as possible without going too far. but a side/factrion filter is actually a good idea.

Tanoa plus these new improved raptors give me a small new spark of inspiration so i might actually update the models a little bit too to make them look more high res. we'll see. not trying to make any promises but the release is right around the corner since i reached a fairly stable state already. the cool thing is that due to the way i evenly spread the load now increasing raptor numbers will not have such a great impact on FPS anymore, which was really needed with Tanoa being so heavy in that regard.

• Like 6

Hey, BB. It looks like a lot of us are thinking along similar lines w dinosaurs on Tanoa. :D I fired up A3 and was very happy to see that, so long after you walked away from the project (for your sanity), it still works as intended: AI raptors run around, chase people down, roar, eat, jump, attack, and maul people. Far as I can tell, nothing wrong in SP.

I can confirm that I was not able to run this mod in mission editor with anything else requiring CBA -- with only vanilla, CBA, and Jurassic Arma, the velociraptors saunter around at safe/walking speed, oblivious to targets or threats. I'll try some non-CBA dependent mods, MP mission export, etc. later and report back.

EDIT

OK, I still get spammed like crazy while in mission editor but in edit mode, not playing the mission. While the mission is running from editor, I get zero errors with the below init.sqf. When the mission quits back to editor, the spam starts again.

Exporting mission to MP with only Revo's 3den Enhanced, the raptor AI worked just fine with zero .rpt errors (don't need it in mission; I just had it running from when I edited/exported the mission). However, without CBA but running other mods ingame, the MP export breaks the raptor AI and they blindly walk again. Will run process of elimination to see whether ANY non-CBA mods will work.

Update re: any other non-CBA addons, it seems hit and miss. SSPCM caused my MP AI raptors to become oblivious. But apparently I can run Ryan's Zombies and Demons. Have fun running trials on all your desired mods!

/EDIT

My .rpt was getting spammed like crazy with two errors:

0:15:54 Error in expression <
{
if (IsServer) then
{
RUP_JIP_array = RUP_JIP_array + [[_para, _fnc, _type]];
>
 0:15:54   Error position: <RUP_JIP_array + [[_para, _fnc, _type]];
>
 0:15:54   Error Undefined variable in expression: rup_jip_array
 0:15:54 File Rup_Dinosaurs\func\mp\fn_mp.sqf, line 64

---

_targets = _rap nea>
 0:15:54   Error Undefined variable in expression: rup_raptor_maxdist
 0:15:54 Error in expression <_rad = rup_raptor_maxdist;

---

0:15:54 Error in expression <_num < count _targets>
 0:15:54   Error position: <_targets>
 0:15:54   Error Undefined variable in expression: _targets

The third error type generated about 600,000 lines of errors in the report file, in ~10 minutes. X.X

So I took a total shot in the dark and attempted to feed the game the variables it was complaining about. I de-PBOed the mod to view the script files, but made no edits to the mod itself. fn_MP.sqf was throwing the first error, but I took a wild guess that the init was somehow not initializing. Totally guessed that the second problem was similar re: maxdist, and fixing that one seemed to fix the third problem. I saved my test mission, created the mission folder init.sqf below. Presto, at least at mission start, no more errors.

//init.sqf
//copied and pasted from \@Jurassic Arma\Addons\Rup_Dinosaurs\func\mp\fn_init_MP.sqf
RUP_JIP_array = [];

//copied and pasted straight from \@Jurassic Arma\Addons\Rup_Dinosaurs\func\core\fn_init_vars.sqf
rup_raptor_dam = 0.5;
rup_raptor_dam_AI = 0.2;
rup_raptor_dam_maul = 0.2;
rup_raptor_maxdist = 400;

Replicate: mission consists of 1 squad BLUFOR with player as squad lead, one group civilians grouped to one leader, INDFOR set to hostile, one group INDFOR raptor AI, and a second cluster of 6 independent 1-man group raptor AI.

I didn't get to see whether they attacked the civs and ate them, b/c I got torn to shreds in short order.

Anyway, very glad to hear you've picked up some interest in this again, if only to brush it up. The new module interface and options look swank, and details sound great!

On an unrelated note, I've loved using your EM mod all around town. Not so useful for shooty missions, since it's a terrible idea to blindly go over a wall and be exposed to enemy observation and fire. But great for more exploration/open world type missions.

ohh, its still work on or abanded? :o

I really love this mod, so it goes back online someday :I

acta13, Bad Benson mentioned that he is not going to rewrite all existing parts of it, but he does have some limited plans in progress to bring this mod forward. Otherwise, we'll have to be patient, supportive, and wait and see. Or learn to write our own dinosaur mods..!

As it is, you can still run this mod with vanilla Arma ONLY -- for a fun session with vanilla Arma equipment, that's good enough. And maybe a few other non-CBA mods. But the dinosaurs are broken for sure if you run CBA. That's what I found.

Hey, BB. It looks like a lot of us are thinking along similar lines w dinosaurs on Tanoa. :D I fired up A3 and was very happy to see that, so long after you walked away from the project (for your sanity), it still works as intended: AI raptors run around, chase people down, roar, eat, jump, attack, and maul people. Far as I can tell, nothing wrong in SP.

I can confirm that I was not able to run this mod in mission editor with anything else requiring CBA -- with only vanilla, CBA, and Jurassic Arma, the velociraptors saunter around at safe/walking speed, oblivious to targets or threats. I'll try some non-CBA dependent mods, MP mission export, etc. later and report back.

EDIT

OK, I still get spammed like crazy while in mission editor but in edit mode, not playing the mission. While the mission is running from editor, I get zero errors with the below init.sqf. When the mission quits back to editor, the spam starts again.

Exporting mission to MP with only Revo's 3den Enhanced, the raptor AI worked just fine with zero .rpt errors (don't need it in mission; I just had it running from when I edited/exported the mission). However, without CBA but running other mods ingame, the MP export breaks the raptor AI and they blindly walk again. Will run process of elimination to see whether ANY non-CBA mods will work.

Update re: any other non-CBA addons, it seems hit and miss. SSPCM caused my MP AI raptors to become oblivious. But apparently I can run Ryan's Zombies and Demons. Have fun running trials on all your desired mods!

/EDIT

My .rpt was getting spammed like crazy with two errors:

0:15:54 Error in expression <

{

if (IsServer) then

{

RUP_JIP_array = RUP_JIP_array + [[_para, _fnc, _type]];

>

0:15:54   Error position: <RUP_JIP_array + [[_para, _fnc, _type]];

>

0:15:54   Error Undefined variable in expression: rup_jip_array

0:15:54 File Rup_Dinosaurs\func\mp\fn_mp.sqf, line 64

---

_targets = _rap nea>

0:15:54   Error Undefined variable in expression: rup_raptor_maxdist

0:15:54 Error in expression <_rad = rup_raptor_maxdist;

---

0:15:54 Error in expression <_num < count _targets>

0:15:54   Error position: <_targets>

0:15:54   Error Undefined variable in expression: _targets

The third error type generated about 600,000 lines of errors in the report file, in ~10 minutes. X.X

So I took a total shot in the dark and attempted to feed the game the variables it was complaining about. I de-PBOed the mod to view the script files, but made no edits to the mod itself. fn_MP.sqf was throwing the first error, but I took a wild guess that the init was somehow not initializing. Totally guessed that the second problem was similar re: maxdist, and fixing that one seemed to fix the third problem. I saved my test mission, created the mission folder init.sqf below. Presto, at least at mission start, no more errors.

//init.sqf
//copied and pasted from \@Jurassic Arma\Addons\Rup_Dinosaurs\func\mp\fn_init_MP.sqf
RUP_JIP_array = [];

//copied and pasted straight from \@Jurassic Arma\Addons\Rup_Dinosaurs\func\core\fn_init_vars.sqf
rup_raptor_dam = 0.5;
rup_raptor_dam_AI = 0.2;
rup_raptor_dam_maul = 0.2;
rup_raptor_maxdist = 400;

Replicate: mission consists of 1 squad BLUFOR with player as squad lead, one group civilians grouped to one leader, INDFOR set to hostile, one group INDFOR raptor AI, and a second cluster of 6 independent 1-man group raptor AI.

I didn't get to see whether they attacked the civs and ate them, b/c I got torn to shreds in short order.

Anyway, very glad to hear you've picked up some interest in this again, if only to brush it up. The new module interface and options look swank, and details sound great!

On an unrelated note, I've loved using your EM mod all around town. Not so useful for shooty missions, since it's a terrible idea to blindly go over a wall and be exposed to enemy observation and fire. But great for more exploration/open world type missions.

Many thanks, dakaodo!! That took care of the error spam when playing. Still get the mp related error in the editor, but I can live with that.

Having tons of fun with the raptors and Artemis on Tanoa. They´re sneaky little bastards in the jungle :P

BB, I´m really looking forward to your improvements! This is one of my all-time fav addons :)

yea i'm back on it now. had to rewrite it once more since i had some issues with it after getting back to it after some time. first test release soon.

• Like 7

yea i'm back on it now. had to rewrite it once more since i had some issues with it after getting back to it after some time. first test release soon.

Any chance of putting feathers on them?

I'll see myself out and keep reading my son's dinosaur books :)

• Like 1

Of all the mods my boys have spied whilst sneaking a look over my shoulder, this is the 1 mod that they keep talking about.

This and that Farmer McDonald mission from A2.

BTW does anyone know if there are any good fire-fighting mods and/or missions?

i don't plan to do any model work. i might tweak some textures and materials though or simply create more color variations.

here's a little screenshot showing how it looks with the raptors adapting to the terrain now (having the same angle as the slope they walk on). this makes a big difference not only visually but also prevents them from jsut jumping off slopes and killing themselves.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=764229269

• Like 5

This addon needs to be revived by all means. Its good badbenson has shown us some promise.. :D

Similarly some modelling work is needed for the pending Trex and other dinos. Omg what this can become with dinos.. *Day Dreaming*

Great job BB, please continue :) also noticed that they didn't get on dock objects, tested with my team on NE Panthera.

the module will not use any of the old AI code at all. that being said. docks are always a problem for any AI afaik. so not sure i'll be able to do anything about that.

again. what i'm working on is mostly a new AI system for easy use and spawn options for mission makers. as i ave showed before there will be A LOT of customization options.

release is right around the corner. i wanna get a first version out there before i do another optimization pass. for now the focus is on making the behaviors work.

only thing missing right now is an option to spawn the raptors around the module position rather than around players.

some random new features that come to mind:

- adapting to terrain slope

- seperate settings for hearing and seeing

- option to either aggro on gun shots or just go investigate in idle mode

- option to define at what distance you are able to make them lose track of you by hiding

• Like 5

Great news BB, really happy to hear you have progress on this. Cannot wait to throw these bad boys into CO10 escape tanoa with raptors and zombies!

wow this looks amazing guys , is there a way to add this to my server so the admins can play as raptures by any chance if so how would i go about this . thanks in advance

got a new map im working on and its coming together quite well, here is 2 pics so far, still a work in progress. But i will need some jurassic park objects like the gate and fencing and possibly other buildings :)

oiycew.jpgiz6jh0.jpg

• Like 1

So i was wanting to create some MP missions and add them to my Exile server via DMS Mod. Is this possible? I will happily create a few that are public and you can share with your mod. Im creative but not good at figuring out to do this.