SpartanSix

[WIP] OPKit: The Operators ToolKit

Looking great man. And a special thanks for posting nice big 1600 res pictures so I can view fullscreen and drool over. Those vests have me all hot n' bothered like: http://i.imgur.com/GohzZFZ.jpg :p

Thanks mate, that's exactly what I'm aiming for haha

Zip ties falls out of place (from fidelity standpoint) when comparing with the other gear.Might be worth looking into?

and yeah mate I know what you mean, I was hesitant to put them on there since they very much do look out of place. At this point I have removed them and just put the carabiner on the front of the vest just for decoration, no zip tie handcuffs.

Really like the model!

I guess you could put some bolt cutters up there if you want to fill up the back of the vest. The bigger (med?) pouch could be placed below it. :)

You should really add a admin pouch or a signal pouch on the front up part of the chest.

Few ideas : http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3ztRlekN1TYNxmsiBwQQL-K_EXwst3h9gnJxA8sJPxa1s_RRCIQIV5X3P3w

http://3poqu3.free.fr/Docs_Airsoft/Ranger/mysetup_RG-640.jpg

Also, The mags under the weapon carrying arm are difficult to access. You should replace them by something different IMO. If you could model a leatherman also, it would be cool.

Wich color/camo will you do for it ?

Nice!!

How exactly is the flagpatch attached to the vest? Shouldn't there be velcro there?

Of course, there will be once its completely textured, the top 2 PALS are velcro and it will look that way once completely textured.

Nice, good looking.I would love to see your topology and with that I mean lots of wires.

It feels like looking under skin ^^

ˇˇdon't mind the letters focus on image on the centerˇˇ

http://www.meshfactory.com/shop/catalog/images/bg_logo.jpg

If I would make this kind of model (not pumpkin but Plate carrier) I would add few rings in carabin

Edited by enex

You mean the wire-frame and sure if that will make you happy I can get a pic of it next time I open up blender.

You mean the wire-frame and sure if that will make you happy I can get a pic of it next time I open up blender.

Yes that's the right word!Sometimes I can't decide which word to choose from wireframe/mesh/model/topology/rings/loops techno jargon to pick.

I will learn eventually.

So I finally got this bitch down to around 17,000 polys and kept quite a lot of its detail while doing so.

Pico_low_poly_zpsa437c1ef.jpg~original

UV mapping and Texturing is next.

Spartan that carrier is looking good. Would it be possible to replace the US flag with a hidden selection that would allow you to place a different patch in its place, such as the various morale patches that are available for the sleeves of the uniforms?

Issue with that Wansec is that it would work with the 'Insignia' Placeholder and you would have the result of using the same patch on the arm and the platecarrier.

Considering the little workflow you wrote down Spartan, you are not looking to work out a highpoly version of the carrier?

Spartan that carrier is looking good. Would it be possible to replace the US flag with a hidden selection that would allow you to place a different patch in its place, such as the various morale patches that are available for the sleeves of the uniforms?

Mate I haven't even touched config work yet but as fluttershy said I could do it but if so it will mirror the same "patch" on the soldiers arm, so we will see I guess though I will be making a version of this with an australia flag regardless.

Issue with that Wansec is that it would work with the 'Insignia' Placeholder and you would have the result of using the same patch on the arm and the platecarrier.

Considering the little workflow you wrote down Spartan, you are not looking to work out a highpoly version of the carrier?

From what I understand your asking why I'm not using the high-poly version? and if so my answer would be that originally from the images on previous pages, they are all high poly versions which amount to like 300,000 polys which is way outside arma's limits.

"SpartanVI: Mate I haven't even touched config work yet but as fluttershy said I could do it but if so it will mirror the same "patch" on the soldiers arm, so we will see I guess though I will be making a version of this with an australia flag regardless."

You could make the flag a separate texture file so if people really wanted to change it, they could :)

Should be possible with something like hidden selections or whatever, no? I know even back in A2 there were mod's where rank tabs were on uniform shirts and you can put a init code to choose the rank (since all rank images were inside the pbo) you wanted to use. There was also the M1A1 mod where there were several locations for markings and tank names you could choose to apply. But I'm just shooting from the hip in terms of vague memories and wonderings, so don't quote me on any of this. lol.

Should be possible with something like hidden selections or whatever, no? I know even back in A2 there were mod's where rank tabs were on uniform shirts and you can put a init code to choose the rank (since all rank images were inside the pbo) you wanted to use. There was also the M1A1 mod where there were several locations for markings and tank names you could choose to apply. But I'm just shooting from the hip in terms of vague memories and wonderings, so don't quote me on any of this. lol.

It certainly is possible to do it via hiddenselection, just need to add the selection into the model in 02.

Well if you have a highpoly version i am sure you will bake the texture maps and go from there, i was just looking if you know how to do it. Since i have seen the previouse images, it would be a waste not to bake texture maps.

Actually your correct, I believe konyo did so with this MH47, that being able to change the flags inside or something. So yeah I'll certainly take a look at doing that.

@Fluttershy - I can't say I have any idea how to bake, though even if I did the high poly model and low poly model are very different since I remake a lot of the plate carrier when bring the poly count down so I believe I'll have to add a lot of the normal mapping manually in photoshop.

Thanks for the reply guys. With a hidden selection, can you use the setobjecttexture command to place a different patch to the plate carrier than the one on the uniform?

I don't know if you can change rvmats(which inturn could change normal, say, for different patches) using hiddenselections. Don't quote me though it may be possible

Well I remember AAW doing something like that with there's where you could have a variety of interchanged stuff on a model via something, honestly I don't know how they did it, but I'm sure there's something that can be done.

AAW did it through hidden selections. Back in Arma 2, before we had this nice interchangable gear system, you basically had to put all the models you wanted on the soldier and then in the config define what was shown. I did a similar thing for the TSF addon. Each soldier had every model part for all variations, and then in the config I defined what would show and what would be hidden. That isn't really necessary anymore in Arma 3.

As for changing textures and normals, that can all be done in the config with hiddenselectiontextures and hiddenselectionmaterials. As long as you define the parts of your model with a label (i.e. camo, camo1, armpatch) you can add a line to the config say along the lines of the following:

hiddenSelections[] = {"Flag1", "Flag2"};

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\OPKit\textures\AmericanFlag_co.paa", "\OPKit\textures\AustralianFlag_co.paa"};

hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"\OPKit\data\AmericanFlag.rvmat", "\OPKit\data\AustralianFlag.rvmat"};

I'm not in front of a computer with actual arma stuff, so I'm not 100% certain on the code there, but it should be close :)

AAW did it through hidden selections. Back in Arma 2, before we had this nice interchangable gear system, you basically had to put all the models you wanted on the soldier and then in the config define what was shown. I did a similar thing for the TSF addon. Each soldier had every model part for all variations, and then in the config I defined what would show and what would be hidden. That isn't really necessary anymore in Arma 3.

As for changing textures and normals, that can all be done in the config with hiddenselectiontextures and hiddenselectionmaterials. As long as you define the parts of your model with a label (i.e. camo, camo1, armpatch) you can add a line to the config say along the lines of the following:

hiddenSelections[] = {"Flag1", "Flag2"};

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\OPKit\textures\AmericanFlag_co.paa", "\OPKit\textures\AustralianFlag_co.paa"};

hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"\OPKit\data\AmericanFlag.rvmat", "\OPKit\data\AustralianFlag.rvmat"};

I'm not in front of a computer with actual arma stuff, so I'm not 100% certain on the code there, but it should be close :)

Alright cheers for all that make, it will certainly come in handy when it comes to config time, much appreciated.