Sign in to follow this  
lightspeed_aust

Anyone managed to get snow working?

I noticed there was an old script with dynamic weather but it was buggy. Anything else out there?

Snow is working. It was in the random weatherscript from meatball but it was to buggy in his opinion and he stopped updating the script with snow. But as the title says you get snow randomly, if you take an older version of that script.

I'm building a snowmission at the moment and i use a snowscript that was taken from NiM's weather module. It works great ...i haven't had crashes yet. One 'problem' with these snowscripts..it also snow inside buildings. There's an option in the random weatherscript to choose between snowing in buildings or stop snowing when you enter a building..as soon you walk outside it starts snowing again. Good enough for me but again..the random weatherscript gives you snow randomly so i choose the script from NiM's weather version and make my missions with objectives outside.

It would be nice if there was a snowscript that: stops snowing when entering a building or it doesn't give snow inside buildings (you see snowfall through the windows)

winter_arma3.jpg

@Syncie, is which map is your picture? Chernarus?

And will this snow script fix snow on the ground as well?

Be advised whatever you recommend - it has to be Dedicated Server compatible but mission sided.

@Bezz, the map is Namalsk. It has snowy parts for a complete snow map you better take Thirsk.

No it dissapears...like wetsnow..at least we call it that over here ;-)

Edited by Syncie

@Bezz, the map is Namalsk. It has snowy parts for a complete snow map you better take Thirsk.

No it dissapears...like wetsnow..at least we call it that over here ;-)

Aah, okey! Yeah I know about Namalsk and Thirsk. But will be awesome if the snow will stay on the ground, like in VBS2 ;)

Snow is working. It was in the random weatherscript from meatball but it was to buggy in his opinion and he stopped updating the script with snow. But as the title says you get snow randomly, if you take an older version of that script.

I'm building a snowmission at the moment and i use a snowscript that was taken from NiM's weather module. It works great ...i haven't had crashes yet. One 'problem' with these snowscripts..it also snow inside buildings. There's an option in the random weatherscript to choose between snowing in buildings or stop snowing when you enter a building..as soon you walk outside it starts snowing again. Good enough for me but again..the random weatherscript gives you snow randomly so i choose the script from NiM's weather version and make my missions with objectives outside.

It would be nice if there was a snowscript that: stops snowing when entering a building or it doesn't give snow inside buildings (you see snowfall through the windows)

Like this?

Is that scripted or is there a snow module mu-bobber? If it's scripted, it'd be nice to have a link to the actual code. Cheers.

@Killzone_Kid: yes like that! GREAT! I asume that the amount of snow can be set higher. We like to have a white x-mas, with this amount of snow my mission has to start right away ;-)

Is that scripted or is there a snow module mu-bobber? If it's scripted, it'd be nice to have a link to the actual code. Cheers.

That was a test to see if it was possible to do it and what will it cost. Still WIP.

@Killzone_Kid: yes like that! GREAT! I asume that the amount of snow can be set higher. We like to have a white x-mas, with this amount of snow my mission has to start right away ;-)

Yeah the amount of snow can be regulated, but more snow means more checks for interior and that is costly unfortunatelly.

@Killzonezone_Kid: I was already a bit afraid of that.

This is mentioned in the random weather script info:

- Due to some limitations with particle effects that need to be used for snow, there are two configuration options available and you can configure them by setting the 'intSnow' variable (Line 60) to one of the following two options.

- 0 = Interior Snow Off, (Default), snow will dissipate when a player is in buildings/vehicles, but will not be visible outside windows/doors while still in the building/vehicle. Snow will restart when the player goes back outside.

- 1 = Interior Snow On , snow will always surround player, even when inside buildings/vehicles.

Unfortunately neither is perfect, but until I can figure out a better way to handle snow/particle effects, it's the best I can do.

Personally i can live with the option 0, snow stops while inside a building and it starts snowing when you go outside.

Like this?

Cool script KK

Anyway it was fun to write a small check that will see if the player is inside a building (though it's a bit wonky because the bounding boxes are huge, larger than the actual building):

[]spawn
{
while {true} do
{
	_building = nearestBuilding player;
	_buildBox = boundingBoxReal _building;
	_position = _building worldToModel getPosATL player;
	if (_position select 0 > ((_buildBox select 0) select 0) && {_position select 0 < ((_buildBox select 1) select 0)} && {_position select 1 > ((_buildBox select 0) select 1)} && {_position select 1 < ((_buildBox select 1) select 1)} && {_position select 2 > ((_buildBox select 0) select 2)} && {_position select 2 < ((_buildBox select 1) select 2)}) then
	{
		hintSilent "Player is inside building";
	}else
	{
		hintSilent "Player is not inside building";
	};
};
};

@Lightspeed_aust

Which script are you using now? Do you like to share it with other arma 3 players? and does it snow inside or not?

So did anyone get any of this snow stuff working?

Moving games over to snow maps since winter is setting in. Played on Thirsk last Friday. Big fun! Except could not get any snow working. Tried Meatball's, which worked last year for us, but could not get running. It just spawned the glowing spheres at the host feet.

We're not worried about respawn bug. We only play one life per game. Surprised BIS doesn't have snow in the environment module yet. Anyone have the current status or working scripts?

Share this NOW! :D

Yes! Please?

This works ok for now:

_snowMedium = "#particleSource" createVehicleLocal (position player);

_snowMedium setParticleParams [["\A3\data_f\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16,12,13,1], "","Billboard", 1, 7, [0,0,0], [0,0,0], 1, 0.0000001, 0.000, 1.7,[0.07],[[1,1,1,1]],[0,1], 0.2, 1.2, "", "",vehicle player];

_snowMedium setParticleRandom [0,[30,30,20],[0,0,0],0,0.01,[0,0,0,0.1],0,0];

_snowMedium setParticleCircle [0,[0,0,0]];

_snowMedium setDropInterval 0.001;

For more randomness and variety:

//creates random snowfall around player

private ["_snowSparse","_snowLight","_snowMedium","_snowHeavy","_snowStorm","_rSnow"];

while {true} do {

_rSnow = [1,5] call BIS_fnc_randomInt;

switch (_rSnow) do {

case 1 : {
			_snowSparse = "#particleSource" createVehicleLocal (position player);  
			_snowSparse setParticleParams [["\A3\data_f\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16,12,13,1], "","Billboard", 1, 7, [0,0,0], [0,0,0], 1, 0.0000001, 0.000, 1.7,[0.07],[[1,1,1,1]],[0,1], 0.2, 1.2, "", "",vehicle player];
			_snowSparse setParticleRandom [0,[30,30,20],[0,0,0],0,0.01,[0,0,0,0.1],0,0];
			_snowSparse setParticleCircle [0,[0,0,0]];
			_snowSparse setDropInterval 0.1; // 0.0001 more zeros is more snow
			};
	case 2 : {
			_snowLight = "#particleSource" createVehicleLocal (position player);  
			_snowLight setParticleParams [["\A3\data_f\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16,12,13,1], "","Billboard", 1, 7, [0,0,0], [0,0,0], 1, 0.0000001, 0.000, 1.7,[0.07],[[1,1,1,1]],[0,1], 0.2, 1.2, "", "",vehicle player];
			_snowLight setParticleRandom [0,[30,30,20],[0,0,0],0,0.01,[0,0,0,0.1],0,0];
			_snowLight setParticleCircle [0,[0,0,0]];
			_snowLight setDropInterval 0.01; // 0.0001 more zeros is more snow
			};
	case 3 : {
			_snowMedium = "#particleSource" createVehicleLocal (position player);  
			_snowMedium setParticleParams [["\A3\data_f\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16,12,13,1], "","Billboard", 1, 7, [0,0,0], [0,0,0], 1, 0.0000001, 0.000, 1.7,[0.07],[[1,1,1,1]],[0,1], 0.2, 1.2, "", "",vehicle player];
			_snowMedium setParticleRandom [0,[30,30,20],[0,0,0],0,0.01,[0,0,0,0.1],0,0];
			_snowMedium setParticleCircle [0,[0,0,0]];
			_snowMedium setDropInterval 0.001; // 0.0001 more zeros is more snow
			};
	case 4 : {
			_snowHeavy = "#particleSource" createVehicleLocal (position player);  
			_snowHeavy setParticleParams [["\A3\data_f\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16,12,13,1], "","Billboard", 1, 7, [0,0,0], [0,0,0], 1, 0.0000001, 0.000, 1.7,[0.07],[[1,1,1,1]],[0,1], 0.2, 1.2, "", "",vehicle player];
			_snowHeavy setParticleRandom [0,[30,30,20],[0,0,0],0,0.01,[0,0,0,0.1],0,0];
			_snowHeavy setParticleCircle [0,[0,0,0]];
			_snowHeavy setDropInterval 0.0001; // 0.0001 more zeros is more snow
			};
	case 5 : {
			_snowStorm = "#particleSource" createVehicleLocal (position player);  
			_snowStorm setParticleParams [["\A3\data_f\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16,12,13,1], "","Billboard", 1, 7, [0,0,0], [0,0,0], 1, 0.0000001, 0.000, 1.7,[0.07],[[1,1,1,1]],[0,1], 0.2, 1.2, "", "",vehicle player];
			_snowStorm setParticleRandom [0,[30,30,20],[0,0,0],0,0.01,[0,0,0,0.1],0,0];
			_snowStorm setParticleCircle [0,[0,0,0]];
			_snowStorm setDropInterval 0.00001; // 0.0001 more zeros is more snow
			};		
};

sleep 20 + (random 1800);

deleteVehicle _snowSparse;
deleteVehicle _snowLight;
deleteVehicle _snowMedium;
deleteVehicle _snowHeavy;
deleteVehicle _snowStorm;

//add random 5% possible no snow interval
if (random 1 <= 0.05) then {
	sleep 1 + (random 1200);
};
};

I weather system Arma 3 uses has the ability to have snow, and blizzards even. Not sure if the TrueSKY script command for that particular snow option is able to be executed though, but it's worth looking into, as I think the new rain for Arma 3 is done by TrueSKY (I could be wrong), and if I'm correct, that'd mean weather effects such as snow automatically not entering buildings, as heavy amounts of raindrops do that with little effects to systems.