takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

Yep, because it was a topic about servers lists, not focusing on Topic in particular, I made a mistake on the title. Well, have a good day sir.

MSO, Patrol Ops, Insurgency, Domination, Warfare, CTI... I've had many hours of this in ArmA2 and I'm sad that it's dying. I'm sad that now people want to mow the grass and collect peaches than have tactical coop gameplay. But, time changes...But that doesn't matter. What matter is that many of the new generation of ArmA are profiting and don't care about any rules of licences. I don't recognize myself with that kind of mentality. And you?

Part of the allure of the Wasteland/AL type scenarios is the persistent character. In the above mentioned scenarios, for the most part what you do from one session to the next does not carry over. There is no character progression. Design a co-op scenario with character progression, levels, unlocks, etc and it will have more allure. Personally I do not care for those game design 'hooks' to keep people interested and staying on past their bedtime, but they are effective and many players do appreciate the sense that their efforts get noticed in a ranking/e-money/stats/levels system.

After 136 pages, I am still failing to see where is the difference between charging for beta access or charging for vip access and why one being treated as licensing violation and the other is not.

Point being, you can't expect people to take the EULA seriously, if Bohemia doesn't actively enforce it. It's just a piece of paper if they aren't going to enforce it. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, you can google for altis life servers (for example) and find a number of them very easily, who openly advertise donations in exchange for vanilla arma content (which is a direct violation of the terms that Bohemia has put forth). Popular servers, who openly advertise that your donation of xx$ per month gets you y piece of vanilla arma content that you have already paid Bohemia for.

I think this whole debate is more of a social issue then a legal one.(not talking about ripping content) servers cost money, making scenarios or gamemodes cost work. i think people who operate these things should be atleast compensated if they have a popular server that drains xxx gb bandwith a month.

I dont think there is anything stopping anyone from enjoying vanilla arma content, but when talking about a extras like a multiplayer server with persistence, etc. There is always the choice to not play said gamemode or server because someone think its <insert reason>.

Donating to support development, give back to community or gain xx item or vehicle within a multiplayer game mode or scenario seems like a personal decision to me.

Somewhere in the past there was a person or group of person who made this whole life mode.it kept being redevelopped all the way from OFP to arma 3. The only reason we have these servers today is by the collective effort of the community. See Arma2NetMySQL etc. without those it would not even be possible.

Cant say i feel entitled to all that third party content and derivatives the moment i buy the game its built on. Maybe you do.

Edited by defk0n_NL

Donating to support development, give back to community or gain xx item or vehicle within a multiplayer game mode or scenario seems like a personal decision to me.

That's cute but the donations don't reach the or developers / original creators of a mission or game content. They go to the server owners who use it to cover the server costs (as said, no problem with that) and they keep the rest for private withdrawal. The tolerance is big but there are limits to it, the ego (social) of most server owners resulting their illegal actions are getting out of hand.

Now A3L stealing content from different websites, missions and even 3rd party games, putting them together and selling it as their own work is just cocky.

I think this whole debate is more of a social issue then a legal one.(not talking about ripping content) servers cost money, making scenarios or gamemodes cost work. i think people who operate these things should be atleast compensated if they have a popular server that drains xxx gb bandwith a month.

First of all, I never suggested they shouldn't.

2nd of all, it *is* a legal question, b/c it directly violates Bohemia's terms. Now, if Bohemia doesn't want to enforce their terms, then they are worthless, and that empowers people to not only violate Bohemia's terms, but to completely disregard the wishes of 3rd party content creators (who don't have the force behind them that Bohemia does). This makes Bohemia complicit in some of these illegal activities (in my opinion). This is also why I think mod makers should be at least as angry with Bohemia, at this point, as they are with a3l-like communities. See, Bohemia, arguably makes money off of A3L as well. People have to buy Bohemia's game for the privilege of playing that stolen POS. Bohemia makes money off of popular communities who unlock vanilla content for a fee. etc, etc. This, at the expense of what I perceive as an increasingly disgruntled core group of content creators.

With regards to those people who put in the "work" to create all of this 3rd party content, none of these servers would even exist without them, yet they (the content creators) are the ones who are compensated the least. You shouldn't minimize the importance of content creators in this community. They put in the most time, effort, and work with the least reward, to actually *create* something for the community that others profit from (Bohemia, server admins, youtubers, streamers, and shitheads).

It doesn't cost *that* much money to run a server, and there are more ethical ways to build a sustainable community that don't involve violating the terms of the product(s) you are utilizing. I run servers and communities for a living. I'm not suggesting they don't do shit, or that they don't invest money and/or time. I'm all for people making a buck, but there are right ways, and wrong ways to do it. Profiteering by piecemealing out vanilla content in which you have no right or stake, isn't ethical in my opinion (nor, legal - according to Bohemia's unenforced terms). The segment of this community (in my opinion) that is *most* responsible for the success of this community, are the content creators - and they typically get shit for their time and hard work.

Server owners rent some hosting space, use someone else's game, someone else's mods, and then effectively charge for content that they didn't even create. Fair compensation for their financial investment, and the time they do put in to maintain the community is fine. Making a profit, I'd say, is fine if you can manage to build a thriving community. But, don't act like they did it all on their own (or inflate, the amount of time/work it is) b/c their ability to thrive is 90% thanks to the content that other people made. Monetize the community, not the content (that you have absolutely no stake or legal right to).

Bohemia's lack of enforcement of their terms empowers and enables communities like A3L, and it is as detrimental to 3rd party content creators as the existence of servers like a3l, imo.

Cant say i feel entitled to all that third party content and derivatives the moment i buy the game its built on. Maybe you do.

Bohemia's terms say I should. Though, I wouldn't say "entitled". Personally, I am grateful for third party content (almost absolutely none of which is created by these server owners in question) and the hard work and time that was spent creating it. It's something that keeps me playing this game some. If it weren't for them, I'd have left this shit engine in the dust a long time ago (as many others would have as well, imo). Bohemia should do everything they can to praise, support, protect, and encourage 3rd party content creators (starting with fixing their engine in order to provide a robust platform for them to build on). Instead, their lack of enforcement empowers others to abuse and profit from the very group of people responsible for this series' sustainable success. And, it is their lack of noticeable, and meaningful enforcement, that makes them (Bohemia) complicit in all of this, in my opinion.

Why is this topic still going on when the BI already put out a response: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162249-From-the-creators-of-Stratis-Life-ArmA-3-Life/page31

Because this is discussing the pure legality and the actions that should and Could be taken as well as provide evidence to the abuse and illegal actions taken. BI Response means they know its happened - but lack enough evidence. As Mr. Lightfoot has replied here numerous times as well asking us to provide enough evidence that he can without a doubt do something that wouldn't negatively effect BI.

now i finally get why some old mod devs here are so edgy when it comes to distribute source materials(mlods) before you prove yourself by uploading something to show your true face...i just wonder how the hell they could rip the entire gta and never get sued by rockstar in the first place...i know for some time that some people made a program to convert flight simulator models into 3d models, but this was used with approval by the content creator(russian&us plane pack from arma2) and they never ripped microsoft content, but after seeing the screenshots(100pbo or more) in the a3l thread i was like did those people live to steal game content??? even their site smell like something is wrong...

PS

there is one good thing about this tho...once someone rip others content for another game mod--->that means that game(arma 3) has success and big user base. its a golden rule. will battlefield fade and arma take over???? we will see. something similar happened with battlefield 2(nations at war mod) and like i said, its a strong indicator for popularity.

Edited by freesets

Not a surprise, it is like that with all these game genres in whatever game.

It is like that with Dayz Mod, A3 Life, City Life, Breaking Point and it will be like that soon server administrators have full control over their Dayz servers.

Arma has moved in to this path, now its time to learn how to live with it. My only curiosity is to see for how long Arma will survive to this.

I haven't followed the entire topic and i haven't played the life because i'm not familiar with it.

Is the "problem" is that they allowing you to play only if you pay? They give you a mod pack(content) free, but you can't do anything with that because? The servers that they hosting are not accessible for free? Is that mean that they selling the "mission" and the "use of server" as a service?

I haven't followed the entire topic and i haven't played the life because i'm not familiar with it.

Is the "problem" is that they allowing you to play only if you pay? They give you a mod pack(content) free, but you can't do anything with that because? The servers that they hosting are not accessible for free? Is that mean that they selling the "mission" and the "use of server" as a service?

Orginally it was about paying to have your application to the server "processed faster" or something similar to that, then it was about using mods without permission. Now its just a huge rant that won't end even after BI has given a solution to mod authors...

Orginally it was about paying to have your application to the server "processed faster" or something similar to that, then it was about using mods without permission. Now its just a huge rant that won't end even after BI has given a solution to mod authors...

They did... ? What is the solution ?

i cant wait for the updated server browser so i will be able to filter out all the altis life servers (and wasteland servers and KOTH servers and BR servers and coop servers)

You can do that already, just click on the filter button, type what you're looking for (Insurgency, Invade and Annex, etc.) and it'll not show those servers

You can do that already, just click on the filter button, type what you're looking for (Insurgency, Invade and Annex, etc.) and it'll not show those servers

We are waiting for a show everything except filter... a blacklist option !

Agreed, this monetization stuff is IMO a sad news.

Well, time will tell but using the reason that "Based on feedback from server operators we acknowledge that the costs connected to hosting a server can be prohibitive and thus rules out a lot of gamers/squads from being able to afford one" is false since we have at least one dedicated server for every 1.97 players (around 2150 dedicated for 4250 players max at the same time ref: arma3.swec.se).

Also, we should maybe make a group of server owners againsts monetization.

And BiS should be clear on what content could be on those monetized servers, because for now it seems that any server owner can monetized any missions or addons, regarless to the licencing of thoses elements.

Edited by ZertyKchan

And if is not acting in the best interests of the Arma 3 community, we will remove them. That will mean they will have to cease this kind of monetization immediately or face legal action.