takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

That is provocative.. But I guess they have to pretend that they are the authors, if not the illusion that it's worth the money will be gone and the users will realize that they are paying for free mods.

Hilarious that they have the audacity to claim anything on it..

I've noted the SMD Being kept.. a Fair portion of the files are by BI - Yes, but Milkman did a lot for it, as well as modified them a plenty to fit in - Shouldn't that allow his own Copyright to work? (I've recently been doing research for school papers on copyright - Within the US Law, Milkmans copyright is held on any items he modified, since BI did give permission to all of us. His item is a derivative and shouldn't make money, but still falls under a Non-Commercial Copyright given to Milkman by the US Constitution as well as UK Copyright.)

I've noted the SMD Being kept.. a Fair portion of the files are by BI - Yes, but Milkman did a lot for it, as well as modified them a plenty to fit in - Shouldn't that allow his own Copyright to work? (I've recently been doing research for school papers on copyright - Within the US Law, Milkmans copyright is held on any items he modified, since BI did give permission to all of us. His item is a derivative and shouldn't make money, but still falls under a Non-Commercial Copyright given to Milkman by the US Constitution as well as UK Copyright.)

Generally speaking yes, if you take add on to something that someone else created enough that it can be considered a derivative and not a copy then you own the rights to it regardless of that work, otherwise that would be akin to saying that nobodies code is owned by them because it all uses Arma source in it.

Then again this is also the same person who believed that forcing people to donate to get a mod was originally fine, and whom thinks that they can do whatever they want with material simply because it is on an open public website, claiming that if something is on the internet then it is fair game while in turn saying that THEIR "mod" is copyright...so clearly this guy doesn't understand.

Notice how despite all of the people asking questions about what is and is not allowed, none of them are taking the steps to clarify any of it, even posting the law and trying to adapt it to their side.

Edited by NodUnit

I highly recommend to anyone that purchased the early access to chargeback as soon as possible. I have won all of mine because Caiden is too lazy to respond to it. Just make sure it says the product was not as described significantly and that in the message to seller that it contains a large number of copyrighted IP and that it also breaches the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy. It is also worth mentioning that is disguised as a forum donation to try and avoid this.

After submitted, make sure to escalate the claim which means Caiden has 10 days to respond to the claim otherwise you win automatically which is how I won.

Regards,

Steven

That is nothing to do with ArmA 3 Life. Secondly, Altis Life is not a mod, it's a mission.

That website is incorrect on so many levels I'm not sure if it's worth discussing. My only concern is to why there's a link to this thread.

For the same reason of violation. Bohemia has rules, they don't respect. Why do we have to respect BIS's rules but not them? Everyone has to be on the same level. If people can not understand rules, that's another debate...

Sure A3L and Altis Life are not the same name or mission-mod, but these are the same kind of gameplay RP. And the fact is that modders, editors, creators or whatever you called them, have to respect the rules. But if everyone wants to make a pay to access contents and Bohemia is agreeing with that, so let's do it. If it's ok for everyone, I'll start ArmaDeus mod at 50 euros. Maybe Armaggedon will be at 100 euros. Let's go making money!!!

I will put my next comment at 2 euros to unlock them in the donator comments shop. With a special 10 euros, you will have a discount (30%) on my 10 next comments retextured!!! Sometimes I will make pre-alpha release of my comments.

Edited by Ice9

For the same reason of violation. Bohemia has rules, they don't respect. Why do we have to respect BIS's rules but not them? Everyone has to be on the same level. If people can not understand rules, that's another debate...

Sure A3L and Altis Life are not the same name or mission-mod, but these are the same kind of gameplay RP. And the fact is that modders, editors, creators or whatever you called them, have to respect the rules. But if everyone wants to make a pay to access contents and Bohemia is agreeing with that, so let's do it. If it's ok for everyone, I'll start ArmaDeus mod at 50 euros. Maybe Armaggedon will be at 100 euros. Let's go making money!!!

I will put my next comment at 2 euros to unlock them in the donator comments shop. With a special 10 euros, you will have a discount (30%) on my 10 next comments retextured!!! Sometimes I will make pre-alpha release of my comments.

I feel that you really haven't read or understand what this thread is about.

And please feel free to clarify:

For the same reason of violation. Bohemia has rules, they don't respect. Why do we have to respect BIS's rules but not them?

Well, it's not important anymore. If Mattlightfoot says that Bohemia can do nothing about it, it's not a problem anymore. The point of view of Bohemia: the community has to deal with it.

Edited by Ice9

I believe he was trying to say that the impression is that Bohemia does not actively enforce their own terms (as illustrated by the vast number of Altis Life servers, easily found through simple google searches, that have donation packages that offer vanilla Arma content in exchange for money.

And, if Bohemia, doesn't enforce their own terms with any regularity, then the terms are worth no more than the paper they are printed on. Additionally, folks will not respect them, least of all, not the rights of mod authors who don't have legal teams and 100+ million in sales behind them to defend their IP, as Bohemia does.

I feel like this is the wrong attitude to have. If more people start charging for content, the open modding world of arma is doomed.

I was sarcastic if you didn't see it...

First, I think my comments fit perfectly in this topic about people profiting from donation system (Altis Life is in the same situation with servers doing a pay to access content, wich is illegal if you read the rules)

Secondly, I find sad that we (community of military style), respect the rules of Bohemia, but those (A3L-Altis Life) don't care about the rules and are making money by doing pay to access.

Situation seems obvious to me...

Edited by Ice9

Secondly, I find sad that we (community of military style), respect the rules of Bohemia, but those (A3L-Altis Life) don't care about the rules and are making money by doing pay to access.

Situation seems obvious to me...

Please keep your playstyle correlations out of this thread. This would be just as outrageous if they were profiting off of a military-style mission/addon. It has nothing to do with the game mode itself.

"It has nothing to do with the game mode itself."

I'm sorry to teach you that the most servers profiting with a donation system are Altis Life servers, not Dominations server or Insurgency servers... They are doing it by a donator shop ingame. I didn't see donator shop in domination, insurgency, ...

http://arma-france.com/illegal-servers/

"This would be just as outrageous if they were profiting off of a military-style mission/addon"

Yes I agree, but they are not doing it. With "IF" we can imagine everything, I'm talking about facts.

Edited by Ice9

"It has nothing to do with the game mode itself."

I'm sorry to teach you that the most servers profiting with a donation system are Altis Life servers, not Dominations server or Insurgency servers... They are doing it by a donator shop ingame. I didn't see donator shop in domination, insurgency, ...

http://arma-france.com/illegal-servers/

You're not listening. This thread is about the EULA violations. Altis Life as a game mode is not a problem. It's how these people are exploiting various aspects of it to make money. The game mode isn't what people are upset about, it's the profiteering. Do you think the people upset about this would be okay with a domination or insurgency server that made money like this too? No, because it's not about the game mode itself.

You're inappropriately trying to make this about the game mode vs. military game modes. It's not about game modes, it's about profiting from stolen content and violating BIS's EULA.

I don't care about game mod.... that's not the point.

"Altis Life as a game mode is not a problem. It's how these people are exploiting various aspects of it to make money."

Well that's I'm trying to tell since few hours... If you read my words I totally said that.

"The game mode isn't what people are upset about, it's the profiteering".

And again, that's what I'm focusing. Well, ....nervermind.

Edited by Ice9

I don't care about the mod. I'm talking about servers profiting from donation system. Don't focus on Altis Life, it can have another name, the fact is that they profit.

That's exactly what I said to you.

This comment:

... is, for no reason, trying to make this issue about communities. It doesn't matter what community you're a part of. Actions are the only thing that matter. What are you trying to gain from applying labels? What does it matter that the majority of this forum prefers military style missions? If I preferred life missions, would my opinion be any less valid? Violators of the EULA should be punished, no matter what community they are from. That is why it's stupid to start making these kinds of associations. It doesn't matter that you don't see any domi or ins servers doing this. What statement are you trying to make by pointing that out? That the military community are inherently better people, just because of some bad apples in another community?

Edit: Won't clutter this thread more with another reply, but thank you for acknowledging my point.

Edited by vegeta897

I don't want to create issues about communities. Just to point the fact that many people are not respecting the rules and are profiting and that many people are respecting the rules. This is real.

And the debate is not if there are players who prefer playing this or that, but the substance is that there are people behind that, and they don't care about anything just because they saw that something is becoming popular and if many players are doing that, I can do that too. It's not the content of the mission, but the way to think of those players.

Edited by Ice9

This is the same guy who made a thread blaming Tonic for all of the woes from A3 Life. So i doubt much headway will be made with this arguement.

"blaming"

No, I said an ironic thank. I did not blame. Don't exagerate. There is a difference between making an irony and blaming.

It's is me. And now I understood that I have to keep some opinion in me. Because when you start to have an opinion wich is not going well for the majority, you become an animal and all the people are charging you because when you make an irony, for them it is a total insult or blame. Maybe it's because in Belgium we have a lot of irony and self-derision... I think it is better to love everyone now for the eternity and never make ironic thank again.

Edited by Ice9

@Ice9

What kind of gameplay would you like to see ideally?

I'm interested and would like to find out.

MSO, Patrol Ops, Insurgency, Domination, Warfare, CTI... I've had many hours of this in ArmA2 and I'm sad that it's dying. I'm sad that now people want to mow the grass and collect peaches than have tactical coop gameplay. But, time changes...But that doesn't matter. What matter is that many of the new generation of ArmA are profiting and don't care about any rules of licences. I don't recognize myself with that kind of mentality. And you?

Edited by Ice9

That's fair enough mate and thanks for letting me know.

I'd like to work out some stuff re: game system so trying to look at how successful game modes get people to come back for more.

This is about the legal violations made by A3L. Not about a grudge you have with Tonic over nothing he can control. I'd say take it elsewhere but you did before and it got closed by your request.