takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

Just to put this enterprise into the right perspective: 54 donations done yesterday (Friday 14.11.2014) alone. Lets assume the standard amount (5$) has been donated by every donator, that is 270$ for yesterday alone. That is not a bad day salary at all.

Devildoggamer also quit playing arma 3:life, he knows about theyr legal violations and he wrote something about that on his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=880529381970669&id=288340451189568

he also wanted to get banned from the arma 3:life team, read the comments here:

are you ever going to post A3L again?
+Henry Baumer No
i heard you got banned from A3L is that true?
+bf9562m yeah i told them to ban me and they did
+TheDevildogGamer Why did you ask them to ban you? I mean if you don't want to support me anymore, you can just leave...

Anyway, i'm glad you quitted this club of (sorry for the harsh words) fucktards.

I'm fine with not having everything made by yourself, but copyright violation just goes too far!

+Sgt.TrollzorR because i didnt want any ties to them including an active forum account

2 youtubers spoke the truth about arma 3: life:

devildoggamer

psiyindicate

Technically I should respond, but I'm gonna hold off until I can write up a nice lengthy post.

Thanks Havatan for your work on modDB! Also great to see Devil making a Facebook post about this!

Technically I should respond, but I'm gonna hold off until I can write up a nice lengthy post.

Okay?

I have followed the A3L community since they posted their first video in August 2013.

At one point, I was an active member of the community and even rose to a "Support Team" member in their community. Soon after, I was kicked off the support team for "trash talking" how the administration handled their business within the community.

Although I do not agree with all of their actions when it comes to managing the community, I do not think there needs to be legal action taken against them. Yes, they did "steal" some things but they give every single person credit for their work. Its not like theyre saying "we made this and we own it" no. They gave tonic the credit for the framework and all their "pistol packs" etc that they use were gotten from places like armaholic (where content creators encourage people to implement their work into the game)

And now for their donation system, I am not going to say that I agree with the who "donate to get in" aspect of the community, but it seems like they have bohemia interactive's support on the situation. (this is the most recent comment i have found from a BI employee regarding the donation system: http://gyazo.com/c69d5281698351829c597693725498fa)

As for me, I havent done all my research to decide whos "right" in this whole thing. But i do know one thing--They NEED to get of Tonic's framework. (which they are in the process of doing)

I would encourage you to read their side of the story before making a conclusion for what side you are on

here is a link to a post from their project lead regarding this whole thing:

http://arma3-life.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35121-a3l-intellectual-property-statement/

Thanks,

Xgamer224

As for me, I havent done all my research to decide whos "right" in this whole thing...

I would encourage you to read their side of the story before making a conclusion...

I would encourage you to read the entire thread before posting

I have followed the A3L community since they posted their first video in August 2013.

At one point, I was an active member of the community and even rose to a "Support Team" member in their community. Soon after, I was kicked off the support team for "trash talking" how the administration handled their business within the community.

And you are still willing to defend them?

Although I do not agree with all of their actions when it comes to managing the community, I do not think there needs to be legal action taken against them. Yes, they did "steal" some things but they give every single person credit for their work. Its not like theyre saying "we made this and we own it" no. They gave tonic the credit for the framework and all their "pistol packs" etc that they use were gotten from places like armaholic (where content creators encourage people to implement their work into the game)

Credit is enough? They made thousands of dollars off the hard work of others contrary to the EULAs and wishes of those addon makers. They refused take down requests and constantly insulted the very people they rely on for content.

Content is freely available but that does not mean you can profit from it.

And now for their donation system, I am not going to say that I agree with the who "donate to get in" aspect of the community, but it seems like they have bohemia interactive's support on the situation. (this is the most recent comment i have found from a BI employee regarding the donation system: http://gyazo.com/c69d5281698351829c597693725498fa)

LMAO again go read these posts. BI may not be willing to enforce their own licence but others are. Look at the number of addon makers complaining. Owners of the content that they "stole". And all the support from the community.

As for me, I havent done all my research to decide whos "right" in this whole thing. But i do know one thing--They NEED to get of Tonic's framework. (which they are in the process of doing)

I seriously doubt thats ever going to happen. Have you read Tonic's response on these topics?

I would encourage you to read their side of the story before making a conclusion for what side you are on

http://arma3-life.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35121-a3l-intellectual-property-statement/

Loving the blatant attempt to discredit Tonic. You really need to read exactly whats really going on.

Edited by RKSL-Rock
Reply - to rely

Loving the blatant attempt to discredit Tonic. You really need to read exactly whats really going on.

Alright, Ive read through the majority of this thread, and the petition etc.

Other ArmA servers have been stealing content years now.. why is this the server taking heat from it?

Is it because its so popular?

or is it because theyre doing that donation system?

If its because of the donation system, thats really between BIS and A3L. It seems like they have come to an agreement on the matter and i really dont think some petition is going to change that..

I do agree that they are in the wrong for taking content, BUT

It seems that A3L claims that they are going to slowly replace the current content with their own content. Now, will this happen? who knows.. My vote is probably not. But if it does, in my opinion, they would be doing nothing wrong at that point. Because if people want to PAY to play a game that they already payed for, thats their choice. not ours

Other ArmA servers have been stealing content years now.. why is this the server taking heat from it?

If its because of the donation system, thats really between BIS and A3L. It seems like they have come to an agreement on the matter and i really dont think some petition is going to change that..

It seems that A3L claims that they are going to slowly replace the current content with their own content. Now, will this happen? who knows.. My vote is probably not. But if it does, in my opinion, they would be doing nothing wrong at that point. Because if people want to PAY to play a game that they already payed for, thats their choice. not ours

Please do inform us about other servers stealing content and we can go after them as well.

I don't care about how they are going to "slowly" remove the content. It's in there now and they are profiting from it. we've Asked them to remove it and they refuse...that is the problem.

Does the fact that it's been happening for years make it OK for A3L to do it too?

No, it doesn't, not in the slightest. People like you are part of the problem, you think because someone else can get away with it, then it must be OK for a popular mod to do so as well.

Erm what exactly do you define as stealing? I am genuinely curious.

I would suggest that is because they have mis-used and abused so many addon makers work and profited so greatly from it. The charges/donations/fees they levied far and away exceed even the need to operate their servers. Conservative estimates put their profit in the tens of thousands.

Every post ive seen, every response from A3L i've read convinces me that they are operating to generate profit for personal gain. I'd like to see a breakdown of the thier costs published.

I'd also like to see their tax statements for the last 2 financial years. Because If even the conservative maths done by some people here are correct they owe the Dutch(?) government rather a lot of income tax. Donations or not they have to be declared.

Actually "slowly replacing content" is an admission that they intend to ignore the legal claims being made against them. You see the moment anyone creates something it is legally theirs. Actually copyrighted and is the property of the author. Failure to remove content at the request of the author can be pursued through court. I believe a DCMA take down request has been issued to various sites and providers. You can see above that MODDB have already banned them for their activities. Do you think they would do that without looking at the evidence?

My advice, after having taken 3 cases of IP theft originating from this community to court and won, would be to back away and watch what happens next. I suspect its going to be a very interesting time.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Thanks,

Xgamer224

you really believe what they are writing in theyr statement ? LOL!

first, do your research before defending A3:life.

here some claims debunked what they wrote in theyr statement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTgbmH5v_1U&list=UU2KCV18drTzPEsxFiV8snag

Does the fact that it's been happening for years make it OK for A3L to do it too?

No, it doesn't, not in the slightest. People like you are part of the problem, you think because someone else can get away with it, then it must be OK for a popular mod to do so as well.

A3L has been informed of their mistakes and they are trying to fix it by causing the least chaos possible. If they shut down the servers and spend months creating new framework and models etc. Their community will go absolutely ape-shit on them because they will have nothing to play on

A3L has been informed of their mistakes and they are trying to fix it by causing the least chaos possible. If they shut down the servers and spend months creating new framework and models etc. Their community will go absolutely ape-shit on them because they will have nothing to play on

And that is "our" fault how?

If it comes to lawyers and tax men then there will be no more A3L.

They do not deserve your sympathy, they are only "fixing" them now because the heat is on and they are scared, that's the only reason. If they had been allowed to continue without uproar they would of done so, they don't give a crap about us, you or Bohemia, it's blatant disregard and they are taking advantage of everyone.

and a key point is they do not care about their customers - they sold them pirated content... absolutely indefencible.

you really believe what they are writing in theyr statement ? LOL!

Sorry i didnt clarify like i did in my more recent posts. I meant to say that they are claiming to replace the stolen content with original content.

Sorry i didnt clarify like i did in my more recent posts. I meant to say that they are claiming to replace the stolen content with original content.

i think this will never happen but still if they decide the replace the content with original ones, it doesnt change the fact that they used stolen content before and profit with them, they still need to pay for this.

Im just truly interested to see how this turns out.

Yes, i agree with all of you that what they did is inexcusable but i really cant see this ending in their servers being shut down.

thoughts?

If you had read the thread you would have realized that our issue is the commercialization of the stolen content to make in excess of $200,000+. Now do you see our problem?

If a singer is caught stealing someone elses songs and making money performing them, do they get to just continue using the stolen work until they eventually write some of their own? NO.

They w/o exception need to stop using stolen content immediately, they need to make their OWN work, and release that when it's ready... from the hubris displayed by their posts, you'd assume that would take no time at all.

Giving them some sort of pass because they have a community of ignorant players who want to play is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If they were so concerned with keeping a thriving community going they shouldn't have based it on fraud and theft.

It seems the petition has reached its limit! But Frankie is still posting video's about it so still bring in people and also the youtuber Matt from NormalDifficulty has started uploading videos from his adventures in the mod. https://www.youtube.com/user/NormalDifficulty

He does not has as many subscribers as Frankie, but is still promoting it.

It seems the petition has reached its limit! But Frankie is still posting video's about it so still bring in people and also the youtuber Matt from NormalDifficulty has started uploading videos from his adventures in the mod. https://www.youtube.com/user/NormalDifficulty

He does not has as many subscribers as Frankie, but is still promoting it.

Sadly yes.