takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

Did anybody tryed to mybe Apply for membership? and "Donate" to see what is going on?

Are they?

Yes, they don't have to publicise every step they take on this thread. Just give it time like I say.

Did anybody tryed to mybe Apply for membership? and "Donate" to see what is going on?

If anyone did or is in the process of doing that, then this isn't the best place to share it given that Matt said he wanted the info privately (presumably for legal proceedings).

Plus A3L people would read it and be able to manipulate their records to try and deny it accordingly.

Are they?

Well, we don't know much, but I know that if BI was gonna take legal actions they wouldn't post everything here, as Stevens said.

Well, we don't know much, but I know that if BI was gonna take legal actions they wouldn't post everything here, as Stevens said.

True. Not all things are meant for the public eye.

Havent payed to much attention to this thread, but after reading a few post at the start im not supprised.

After many years with arma i have seen copyright infringement been done from time to time over the years.

But never to this extent and with monetization to this degree.

As of now. Arma3 is a platform for piracy or you can atleast assosiate it with piracy.

as a content-maker/addon-maker, scripter etc, your situations is basically that:

* Your code (scripts) , that is copyrighted can be infringed

* Your addon(s) , that is copyrighted can be infringed

* Your model(s) (assuming you got the right tools) , that is copyrighted can be infringed

All this with a zero to minimal risk for the person/people doing it.

As a scripter you will only be limited to Arma since the scripts has no real use outside this game engine.

But that doesnt change the fact that your work that has been infringed & exploited has less value/meaning.

As for model makers the situations is worse.

Since their work can be used outside arma aswell.

It is extremely easy to take out existing models from arma and port them to other games.

Bis might not have legal jurisdiction in many cases.

Example:

Your models is used in another game engine. A model from another game is used in arma (they do not know if you have premission to use it or not).

But nevertheless, I dont think Bis want to be assosiated with piracy.

At the moment its a free haven for stealing other people work & content.

so Bis should be more active condemming things like this.

Is there anything Bis can do to prevent this?

Well not really. Once your work has been infringed. You yourself need to take the necessary steps. contact the law. hosts. etc etc.

But Bis can make life harder for the pirats by allowing mission and addon/mod makers to encrypt their pbo files.

You yourself need to take the necessary steps. contact the law. hosts. etc etc.

But Bis can make life harder for the pirats by allowing mission and addon/mod makers to encrypt their pbo files.

That was what i was about to say.... to stop all this all the mod makers have to do make them .ebo files. this way they won't be able to actuallty steal anything.

as for scripts they steal the only thing i can think of is by implementing sertain hidden boobytraps or make it more server side. this would mean tho that you have to create a special system where you can hand your mission to others while making sure that its safe from pirates..... guess thats allot a work

True. Not all things are meant for the public eye.

Havent payed to much attention to this thread, but after reading a few post at the start im not supprised.

After many years with arma i have seen copyright infringement been done from time to time over the years.

But never to this extent and with monetization to this degree.

As of now. Arma3 is a platform for piracy or you can atleast assosiate it with piracy.

as a content-maker/addon-maker, scripter etc, your situations is basically that:

* Your code (scripts) , that is copyrighted can be infringed

* Your addon(s) , that is copyrighted can be infringed

* Your model(s) (assuming you got the right tools) , that is copyrighted can be infringed

All this with a zero to minimal risk for the person/people doing it.

As a scripter you will only be limited to Arma since the scripts has no real use outside this game engine.

But that doesnt change the fact that your work that has been infringed & exploited has less value/meaning.

As for model makers the situations is worse.

Since their work can be used outside arma aswell.

It is extremely easy to take out existing models from arma and port them to other games.

Bis might not have legal jurisdiction in many cases.

Example:

Your models is used in another game engine. A model from another game is used in arma (they do not know if you have premission to use it or not).

But nevertheless, I dont think Bis want to be assosiated with piracy.

At the moment its a free haven for stealing other people work & content.

so Bis should be more active condemming things like this.

Is there anything Bis can do to prevent this?

Well not really. Once your work has been infringed. You yourself need to take the necessary steps. contact the law. hosts. etc etc.

Good post.

It's all very well for affected parties to pursue legal cases against copyright/ip theft, but the reality is most people don't have either the time, inclination, will, nous/knowhow or money to sue thieves that could be located in another country.

Plus if server hoster is say in Russia, all bets are off anyway (no offense to Russians here but the .ru domain is safe haven for all sorts of miscreants).

If for example A3L have made $10,000 from their dealings, then thats $10,000 more than I have to fight a legal case against them.

If BIS is unable to act on behalf of affected parties, then only solutions I can see is either people abandoning Arma 3 as a platform knowing it is riddled with thieves, or as you mention, BIS could give mod makers encryption.

If copyright for my work is mine, then can I at least have the means to protect the work itself?

Jeez, how long is this going to last?

The lack of reaction from BI - eventhough none of their copyrights are breached - saddens me : if that situation keeps going on, it's gonna have a serious effect on the modding community.

As for me, I'm seriously thinking about obfuscating my codes before releasing my next mods; I've always been against the idea but, heck look at the BreakingPoint mod : eventhough they most likely did it to hide the fact that they are using scripts from DayZ, nobody is ripping their mod, as far as I know...

We Obfus and encrypt for the exact reason of this post. Also its a big deterrent for hackers as the variables change everytime we update which is alot.

We are in MANW if we were using code we wernt aloud to we would be disqualified as thats against the rules and also against BIS TOS.

The version we submitted is clean and readable for BIS and the judges to go over.

We didnt work our buts off for over a year for nothing, We aren't idiots...

Edited by nohrt

We Obfus and encrypt for the exact reason of this post. Also its a big deterrent for hackers as the variables change everytime we update which is alot.

We are in MANW if we were using code we wernt aloud to we would be disqualified as thats against the rules and also against BIS TOS.

The version we submitted is clean and readable for BIS and the judges to go over.

We didnt work our buts off for over a year for nothing, We aren't idiots...

It's completely beyond me why you would enter this discussion. It was claimed without any convincing refutation that Breaking Point (your mod) was found to be hiding the use of DayZmod code in your code-obfuscated A3 mod, which goes against the terms of the DayZmod licence. There's an analysis of it here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1s8itg/dayz_code_in_arma_3_breaking_point/

An AMAR member also contacted each of the people you used (and modified) mods from and found a number had not given permission for repackaging or modifications to be made.

If you go back to your ARMA 2 mod the history of claims against it are even more tawdry. I find the claim that your code obfuscation is to stop others from stealing from you a bit odd.

I strongly discourage tool authors from publishing obfuscation tools because rather than helping prevent theft they aid theft. When the main deterrent for stealing code is being called out for it and becoming an outcast in the ARMA community (clearly nothing legal works) being able to obfuscate the theft means there's no consequences at all.

Something I've been wanting to talk about for a while is Caiden and how he apparently doxed someone who was quite young. Now there was a post about this earlier on this thread that had information including pictures which I believe got deleted in all the arguing and off-topic posts that were made. Doxing itself is not illegal however due to Caidens doxing this has led to personal attacks and out right harassment against the person who was doxed. Now there is no way (or easy way) in getting so much information about an individual through their IP address, so you might ask how he got it? Well apparently the doxed user was a member of his website and even had a user account. Now if that is true then that could mean that Caiden could have used his administrator rights to access personal information and share it without the persons knowledge or permission. Therefore breaking the Data Protection Act of 1998 that was passed by the UK Parliament to match the standards of the EU data protection directive of 1995. Now the EU and UK laws can be a little different but do have a similar structure. From that deleted post it was mentioned that the person receiving the dox attack was in the EU and I believe it was mentioned Caiden was from the US, I'm a little unfamiliar how their Data Protection Directive works in the US however I know it was derived from the EU one making it a little similar to the UK one. If it is found that Caiden broke the Data Protection Act then he is liable (in the UK at least) to face penalties from the Information Commissioner's Office and face fines up to £100,000 or more.

If anyone one wants to add to this or correct it in anyway then feel free to do so.

Hello, this was me and I would like to update you on this.

You are correct about the forum signup. I was a member there and when I streamed caiden was watching and I had criticised there mod one thing lead to another and he banned me on the forums, so he did and I thought nothing of it.

Later on I started to receive emails, phone calls I even got a pizza which I paid for because I was pretty hungry to be honest so thanks guys.

I informed the police of his behaviour and are investigating as he has breached copyright laws by sharing my information on his forums that even has a privacy terms in the footer.

How can I prove it's me? well. I'm in the picture... xD

I imagine the reason for that is because of this video he made.

EDIT: Damn it forgot to quote Steven up there and the quote he posted lol

Edited by Gerhart

It's completely beyond me why you would enter this discussion. It was claimed without any convincing refutation that Breaking Point (your mod) was found to be hiding the use of DayZmod code in your code-obfuscated A3 mod, which goes against the terms of the DayZmod licence. There's an analysis of it here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1s8itg/dayz_code_in_arma_3_breaking_point/

Thats an 11 month old Reddit post with claims about legacy code from our A2 mod that was laying around in A3. In 11 months alot of things change...

An AMAR member also contacted each of the people you used (and modified) mods from and found a number had not given permission for repackaging or modifications to be made.

Sorry i dont know who AMAR is, But feel free to go through our pbo's and you will notice only 1 or 2 3rd party pbo's in which we do have permission for.

If you go back to your ARMA 2 mod the history of claims against it are even more tawdry. I find the claim that your code obfuscation is to stop others from stealing from you a bit odd.

In Arma 2 we were just a small community that modded DayZ to our liking, it blew up in popularity which we were not expecting. We were new and naive to the Arma community at large, and rights of authors. Our Arma 3 mod has been created learning from past mistakes and wanting to be a part of the Arma community without controversy. We have worked for over a year with thousands of hours into the mod we dont want our content stolen. Thats why this post was made to begin with, so far we have stayed away from that. When we release the mod public anyone can mod it as they wish...

Im only posting here in solidarity with all other content creators in regards of perjury, our team has signed the petition. We will defend our mod due to the fact that online outrage can demonize someone before facts can refute false allegation, so i want to nip that in the bud.

nohrt, no offence mate but can you and anyone who wishes to challenge you etc - please take this to another topic.

This thread is about A3L - let's stay on-topic, as it is an important one.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Hello, this was me and I would like to update you on this. I informed the police of his behaviour and are investigating as he has breached copyright laws by sharing my information on his forums that even has a privacy terms in the footer.

Glad you enjoyed your pizza Wildee. Sorry that happened to you. I think hackers can target the wrong people sometimes. They should go after paedo's and bankers and whatnot, not young lads playing video games. good you can laugh about it cos it is just silly lol. btw Caiden mate - mines a pepperoni!

wow 618 signatures - not bad at all! keep it up!

HUGE Thank you to Psi for FINALLY making a video about the issue! Respect bro.

Hype train is going OFF THE RAILS.

Guys, PsiSyndicate talking with A3L devs:

http://www.twitch.tv/PsiSyndicate

By the way, in the stream on developer stated that the traces from CityLife came from working coop woth I3luevein.

I asked him, and he stated that this was false.

http://abload.de/img/psysindicate_stream_a79swx.jpg

Edited by RedPhoenix

Fun to see how lewis keeps head up against all A3L devs. You need to give him credits for that.

HUGE Thank you to Psi for FINALLY making a video about the issue! Respect bro.

Hype train is going OFF THE RAILS.

Well then, did not expect that. My out look on him has changed a lot. Good on him.

Watch his stream Tonic, it's interesting to see how dumb A3L staff is ;)

It's making the violent Irish man come out in me and want to curse in my native tongue. But I'm not paying $5 to chat on twitch.

Psi, if you read this, add me on Skype, my id is: alexandrelaroche

We have a group conversation and we can tell you more about the issue if you want.

I am, someone tweeted me about someone slewing out crap, to bad the chat is chaotic so I can't actually speak but apparently they are still spreading the lie of me using their code from their variant of stratis life even when that was proved false.

This stream is terrible, at least Psi is taking the right side here that they didnt give credit, but neither of these 2 guys are properly informed at all, but seriously whoever the guy Psi is talking to has no fucking clue what a licence even is or anything this is horrible.

Edit: This southern guy, I cant even tell what he is saying... what the actual

Edit 2: Psi is charging people to even post msgs....

He is profiting from this drama shit too.... what the fuck

Edited by MikeTim

A guy standing up for the A3L devs is talking about licenses then turns around and says he doesn't know about them.

Riiiight.

The guy Psi is talking to: "The people that make the license, the laws, they need to be aware of it, they need to change it..."

What is he even saying....

Then he says "what law has been broken"...

Edit:

"We dont know this stuff, we shouldnt be talking about it..."

Looks like this guy found 1 thing correct.

They aren't even informed and this stream is getting nowhere besides publicity for all parties involved.