takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

Thats good to hear. You've actually been the most reasonable voice on this thread. I understand your role as the Tit-for-tatter and I support you in that. I haven't been burned yet so I'm just playing my role as cooperator.

i have an idea what BI could do.

at least they could warn the whole community at once by writing an article about arma 3:life mod (including a list of stolen arma 3 addons, stolen content from other games, proof that affected authors wants the removal of theyr addons in arma 3:life etc...) and post it here in forum as a global theard + posting the article and/or the link to the theard on arma 3 official facebook page, twitter etc.. that would not stop arma 3:life but it would reach more people = more people are informed = it spreads more = means more people including youtubers etc are informed = less people who join arma 3:life = less money for arma 3:life devs + smaller amount of players.

A group of us have an investigation in progress.

It won't be long now.

1. if anyone on this list would like to contact me and better explain their involvement to me I am happy to speak to you

http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?110915-Zannaza

http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?237041-mbaxter

http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?127957-Hem

http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?86504-Pr0mthesus

http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?132141-Brobropopo

http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?136327-Kurtt420

http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?177990-Schultzit

2. If anyone has donated in the past 3 weeks and felt they had to, to access the mod please PM me with details of your experience

3. if this chap who just signed the petition could contact me directly i'd be keen for a detailed statement

"George Comments: I completely agree with everything that i have seen here, I was told personally by caiden that he was making $800 Dollars a day and he dont really care about the mod, They are all in it for the money and all of my team are behind you on this."

4. 327 signatures so far - which is great - and some famous faces on there too! can you all contact your clans and have them sign ASAP.

Edited by eggbeast

eggbeast what do you think of making a skype group or maybe a IRC channel to talk about the issue and find evidence?

we have one! but it's secret and you have to pay $30 to join it.

we have one! but it's secret and you have to pay $30 to join it.

or can i apply without "donating" paying a fee and wait a few months before having my application even considered?

just add me and we can chat, it's a free world

maybe some of you can hook up that way and help out - you've already been a massive help tbh!

just add me and we can chat, it's a free world

maybe some of you can hook up that way and help out - you've already been a massive help tbh!

Dumb me didn't notice your skype id was in your profile till' now. Added.

Seems the donations are still poring in on their website, but those are for the servers and people wanting to get in the mod faster.

Seems the donations are still poring in on their website, but those are for the servers and people wanting to get in the mod faster.

Just give it time my friend, we are in full swing at the moment.

407 sigs on the petition - keep it up guys - team effort!

There is a huge difference between learning by example and simply copy and pasting. I don't know you so I will give you the benefit of the doubt when you say you've learned everything you know by asking questions or trial and error, but can you honestly say you've never unpacked a pbo without the authors permission? And did you ask every author involved in the creation of that pbo to look at the resource that he or she created?

Also the painting analogy works for something like modeling or texturing. These are more artistic in nature and must be learned through practice. When it comes to scripting and configs, you enter the realm of logic and rules, and it is far more difficult to learn by trial and error than it is by example.

Please don't mistake my argument as support for content theft. I am not trying to condone the actions of the A3Life "developers", I am simply concerned that an overreaction might cause more harm than good.

I think the majority of us have unpacked a pbo to look into it without notifying the author at least once. Heck I myself am guilty of this and I'll admit it, I read the readme which said "don't" but my brain went into hype mode. You see I love looking at textures to learn from them, the person here explicitly stated don't do it so I wrote a letter of apology, and I do hope it did not suade them to give up on the modding scene because of my stupidity.

That said, there is a difference between looking at someones stuff to see what makes it tick versus ripping it out and putting it in your own then slapping your own stamp on it.

There is this sort of unwritten rule over the years that you can modify something if you do it PERSONALLY as in for you only and don't tell anyone, heck many modders have even said "yeah you can do that for yourself but don't release it publicly"...but again we're talking public here and explicit ripping and not just learning.

We should hit 500 signatures within the next 24-48 hours! This is great.

Janus,

I do apologize that you might not have got the notification of our approval for utilizing CSE but we spoke directly with Cage. Please speak with him directly if you have any further issues.

Thanks

Mike Baxter

P.S. As stated moving forward I will absolutely be making sure things we utilize will be given permission to utilize.

Here's some fun facts, I contacted Glowbal back when A3L was talking about adding CSE to their modpack, and here was his response:

Glowbal:

Hello.

they did contact me and I told them as long as they do not modify CSE in anyway (ie unpack it and merge with their shit), they can use it just like anyone else can use a mod, provided they do not make any money off it.

That sentence you quoted however suggests they are actually implementing it in their source code, which I would rather not have. Do you know if this is the case? I will poke the person who send me a message eitherway.

Thanks for sending me this.

Regards,

Glowbal

So I'm guessing A3L also got permission to modify CSE?

arma3-life.com, Caiden:

A3L Addon Update 2.7:

- There have been some additional updates to CSE to make it compatible with our mission. This patch is being deployed now to US1 and US2. US3 is already running this new update.

And now it looks like they have their sights on some more content to steal:

Changelog A3L 0.9.3:

- MR3003 in BWMOD vehicles and infantry

Changelog A3L 0.9.6:

- BWMOD camo for backpacks

- Integration with upcoming RHS

Changelog A3L 0.9.7:

- Fixed issue with BWMOD encryption codes

Wonder if members of the BWMOD or RHS gave them permissions? And finally...just a quote from one of their community members about Fromz Living Through Mod from MANW:

http://arma3-life.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26480-lt-living-through-live-another-day-by-fromz/

Bella Mahone:

Could we "borrow" that female model from this? :D

BTW, eggbeast, you can add Glowbal's response to your list of evidence against A3L...as I have saved his message.

Edited by Siege-A

good stuff

wow i wonder what "Fixed issue with BWMOD encryption codes" means

good stuff

I was quite curious about this myself...usually things are encrypted for a reason.

RHS explicetely forbids any modification of its content and distribution with intent to monetize. The mod is distributed under CC BY-NC-ND.

This is our official notice that we are monitoring this and have made our explicit mention of appropriate license. In this case, if it is found that this license is broken in any way in the context of A3L we will take steps.

good stuff

I'm not sure but it probably doesn't mean that much (someone correct me if I'm wrong please).

I did a quick Google and it's just the update to TFAR: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23615

Maybe you can ask the author what it entails?

v0.9.7
- Fixed memory leak in plugin which may cause FPS drop
- Updated radio sounds
- Default key for LR additional is Y (but for current user need to be rebinded by hands)
- Updated mass of backpacks
- Czech translation (thanks to EvroMalarkey)
[b]- Fixed issue with BWMOD encryption codes[/b]

Edited by BadLuckBurt
said something stupid

BadLuckBurt, thanks for the clarification. The quote I made above from the A3L changelog (from 0.9.3 to 0.9.7) was all actually just a part of the TFAR update that they included, didn't notice it until you posted the link to the TFAR download page.

In any case, I will send a message to Glowbal about the updates they have made to CSE. And also message Fromz, to keep him aware of their interest for his mod.

re CSE changes

http://csemod.com/

Combat Space Enhancement is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

http://csemod.com/license/

Request for removal of their content from A3L:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184772-Legal-violations-by-A3L-Arma-3-life&p=2816425&viewfull=1#post2816425

Subsequent plans issued by A3L

“A3L Addon Update 2.7:

- There have been some additional updates to CSE to make it compatible with our mission. This patch is being deployed now to US1 and US2. US3 is already running this new update.â€

Clearly breaches their no-derivs license and their moral right to not have their material exploited for commercial private gain.

Jeez, how long is this going to last?

The lack of reaction from BI - eventhough none of their copyrights are breached - saddens me : if that situation keeps going on, it's gonna have a serious effect on the modding community.

As for me, I'm seriously thinking about obfuscating my codes before releasing my next mods; I've always been against the idea but, heck look at the BreakingPoint mod : eventhough they most likely did it to hide the fact that they are using scripts from DayZ, nobody is ripping their mod, as far as I know...

Jeez, how long is this going to last?

The lack of reaction from BI - eventhough none of their copyrights are breached - saddens me : if that situation keeps going on, it's gonna have a serious effect on the modding community.

As for me, I'm seriously thinking about obfuscating my codes before releasing my next mods; I've always been against the idea but, heck look at the BreakingPoint mod : eventhough they most likely did it to hide the fact that they are using scripts from DayZ, nobody is ripping their mod, as far as I know...

BI are doing everything in their power to deal with A3L. Just give it time.

BI are doing everything in their power to deal with A3L. Just give it time.

Are they?

We have enforced the ones we can, which is them charging for access, [...] The charging for access has already been resolved, unless you have evidence otherwise?

[...]

We can't act on copyright owners behalf, it would have no legal grounding, it would be a waste of our time and money. Content creators need to action this themselves.