takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

Have to laugh at all these people that are too sad to have real lives to play any 'life' game. Anyway back on track ....

Come on BIS .. shut them down. They are making a mockery of you/us/modders.

Could not agree more. Come on Bohemia, where there's a will, there's a way.

These guys are having a corrosive effect on many aspects of the community and your business.

It's simply not good enough for Matt to say "It's too hard to do therefore we won't".

These people are laughing at you and us and unless you take them down, there's going more of them and others like them.

What bothers me the mostis that i am not allowed to monetize my own addons as a content creator, but fuckwits like these can monetize other people work? Really? If bi doesn't take their finger out of their ass and take a proper stance, they just created precedence...

What bothers me the mostis that i am not allowed to monetize my own addons as a content creator, but fuckwits like these can monetize other people work? Really? If bi doesn't take their finger out of their ass and take a proper stance, they just created precedence...

This ^^^

If anyone spots their addon in the mod aren't they allowed to issue a sort of cease and desist or removal notice at least?

Edited by NodUnit

Yes pretty much NodUnit, however the issue in this case with that is that they just ignore such action and continue on their little theft spree.

On a more of a side note since they obviously monitor this very thread, s**t like this demotivates people.

I'm personally not sure if I'm going to want to finish the projects I have in the works. I also have no doubt there are others that feel the same way.

Use common sense, behaviour like this hurts everyone, what happens if all content creators say f**k it and stop doing their stuff? Everyone loses.

I'll go back to observing now.

Regards Hawk.

I'm sure their reason for banning me over my post was me calling out the head admins. Most specifically a kid over there named Zoo.

So sad his life is that he actually gets off on banning people and for a long time he kept score...like a kill count for his bans.

I enjoyed playing the mod for a while...until it became clear to me that the creators only wanted money and did not want to take the time to build a community but rather relied on cheap tricks...like streamers and youtubers...to pimp their mod for them.

In fact it got so bad that streamers and youtubers break rules with almost 100% immunity. But people like me get a ban for speaking the truth...

Life mods and dayz have honestly killed the ArmA games for people like me...RHS and VTN have at least done their part to keep ArmA 3 on my computer...and this new breed of player that had infiltrated our ranks are destroying what community we have left.

Guys you know that server hosters jumped on the bandwaggon and are offering preconfigured A3Life servers?

Just google A3 Life server...

Yes pretty much NodUnit, however the issue in this case with that is that they just ignore such action and continue on their little theft spree.

But depending on the author license upon release that could potentially lead to a potential lawsuit yes? They may have lawyers but if the law is written plain as day "You are not allowed to use this addon in any mods" possibly adding with the exception of recieving permission from the author (I'm sure you could say that the author said it was alright but if said author then states that they wish you to not use their content) does that not pretty much put said offender in the guilty zone with not much that said lawyer can do?

Guys you know that server hosters jumped on the bandwaggon and are offering preconfigured A3Life servers?

Just google A3 Life server...

Link please? :D

To all, my buddy just sent this to me http://pastebin.com/6SNJ7uSb . Funniest shit ever.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

But depending on the author license upon release that could potentially lead to a potential lawsuit yes? They may have lawyers but if the law is written plain as day "You are not allowed to use this addon in any mods" possibly adding with the exception of recieving permission from the author (I'm sure you could say that the author said it was alright but if said author then states that they wish you to not use their content) does that not pretty much put said offender in the guilty zone with not much that said lawyer can do?

All we can do now is just wait. How I see this going is either the hype will die down and everyone forgets about them or everyone turns on them once they figure it out. Streamers/Youtubers would have to stop playing it I believe.

I'm personally not sure if I'm going to want to finish the projects I have in the works. I also have no doubt there are others that feel the same way.

I have already hit that point and have stopped doing anything related to ARMA. I'm at the point where I am ready to move onto another game or even make my own and to never look back on ARMA. I do not wish to speak ill about the decision made because Matt is at the front of it and I have known him and Dean for quite some time now but quite frankly I am livid that Bohemia is not doing anything more other then a slap on the wrists for breaking their own EULA, mod makers and even other games. If that is all that is going to happen it will eventually come back to bite them in the ass because other publishers and developers will not take kindly to their work being stolen, commercialized and used on another game engine and the owners of that game/engine not doing anything to put a stop to it, not to mention the current parties involved with their work being stolen have much deeper pockets then Bohemia Interactive as a whole.

I get that they cannot act for mod makers with a legal dispute in some situations but they should at least make an effort to put a stop to it in a none legal way and there are quite a few options out there and in honesty they should take legal action for the break in their EULA and also work together with the other parties that have had their work stolen and commercialized (Crytek and Microsoft Studios).

Although as I told Matt on skype I am quite upset that there will be no witch hunt, I had my pitch fork ready to go.

I have already hit that point and have stopped doing anything related to ARMA. I'm at the point where I am ready to move onto another game or even make my own and to never look back on ARMA.

Is this a decision you will stand behind? I recall hearing this before, around the time Moricky released Virtual Arsenal, and your scenario development continuing afterwards.

Perhaps a solution is just to host your own server(s) and keep the bulk of your IP in an addon or server file? That is perhaps a middle ground between throwing your code (chum) into A3 public-accessible environment (shark-infested waters), and just packing up shop altogether.

The reality is now, there are no shortage of people to take your work, scratch your name out, post it up as theirs with clever wording and make $$$ from it. And why not? Aside from the rather-flimsy honor system and feeble community shaming tactics (refer you to this thread), there is no penalty for doing so, and also some reasonable $$$ reward for it. The time involved is also substantially less. It has taken you quite some time/energy input to publish code that works, is efficient and fun, yet it takes them just an afternoon to alter a line here or there, slap their name on it and create a Donations button on their website.

My concern with a witch-hunt is that it's an energy intensive activity for the community and BIS, while afterwards there is literally nothing stopping something similar from occurring again. It's happening now in more communities than A3L however they're not as overt at the moment. If the system isn't changed and authors not protected, then what is the point in chasing after each thief?

Instead of chasing A3L with pitchforks, perhaps the same energy would be wiser spent in securing some sort of protection for Authors published work.

That energy could also include a commitment, as you say, to stop releasing any code/mods to the public while the waters are shark-infested. Get a bunch of the more prominent community developers on board and perhaps the suffering of the A3 multiplayer would help BIS recognize the unhappiness of some community authors. Health of multiplayer == Sales $$$ to BIS eyes, so I presume it is of some importance since their official MP missions aren't really a driving force of sales (no offense to BIS).

The only drawback there is that Altis Life is already fun for many people and your framework and much of the code is there, so ... Are you -- as the primary developer -- really necessary anymore, for the Altis Life community? If you stand by your word and have stopped coding, will the Altis Life MP suffer? If not, on both counts, then in a Machiavellian way, perhaps your unhappiness is now irrelevant. :)

Of course this is tongue in cheek conjecture, but it is on topic. If a bunch of the quality mod-makers would just stop publishing their work, and instead advertise what the community is missing as a result of this discontent over the A3L-type case, then real pressure is generated, and real motivation to remedy the issue arises.

^ This post also represents closure to the people earlier in the thread asking me why I thought going after A3L was "barking up the wrong tree".

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

I have already hit that point and have stopped doing anything related to ARMA. I'm at the point where I am ready to move onto another game or even make my own and to never look back on ARMA. I do not wish to speak ill about the decision made because Matt is at the front of it and I have known him and Dean for quite some time now but quite frankly I am livid that Bohemia is not doing anything more other then a slap on the wrists for breaking their own EULA, mod makers and even other games. If that is all that is going to happen it will eventually come back to bite them in the ass because other publishers and developers will not take kindly to their work being stolen, commercialized and used on another game engine and the owners of that game/engine not doing anything to put a stop to it, not to mention the current parties involved with their work being stolen have much deeper pockets then Bohemia Interactive as a whole.

I get that they cannot act for mod makers with a legal dispute in some situations but they should at least make an effort to put a stop to it in a none legal way and there are quite a few options out there and in honesty they should take legal action for the break in their EULA and also work together with the other parties that have had their work stolen and commercialized (Crytek and Microsoft Studios).

Although as I told Matt on skype I am quite upset that there will be no witch hunt, I had my pitch fork ready to go.

RIP ArmA community Nov 2006 - Nov 2014

1410359431764.png

what could save us legend Tonic?

Perhaps a solution is just to host your own server(s) and keep the bulk of your IP in an addon or server file?

Don't forget to kick for loadFile & preprocessFile or they'll have it downloaded in 10 minutes! ;)

I was just on Unknown Cheats and they've got all the server files on there. I didn't want to download them as they could make my computer sick, but if somebody's got a virtual machine on their PC and the inclination, they can sift through the detritus to see exactly what's in there (and who wrote it).

I would assume "their" models are in the download as there was some talk about the file size being 3Gb, but as I mentioned, I didn't download to check.

I hope that doesn't get me in trouble on these forums as I'm not really advocating piracy (it is already stolen in my eyes).

I imagine a lot of people have downloaded for the purpose of setting up their own A3L version (which is to be expected given the source and types of people that frequent those forums).

Don't forget to kick for loadFile & preprocessFile or they'll have it downloaded in 10 minutes! ;)

I was just on Unknown Cheats and they've got all the server files on there. I didn't want to download them as they could make my computer sick, but if somebody's got a virtual machine on their PC and the inclination, they can sift through the detritus to see exactly what's in there (and who wrote it).

I would assume "their" models are in the download as there was some talk about the file size being 3Gb, but as I mentioned, I didn't download to check.

I hope that doesn't get me in trouble on these forums as I'm not really advocating piracy (it is already stolen in my eyes).

I imagine a lot of people have downloaded for the purpose of setting up their own A3L version (which is to be expected given the source and types of people that frequent those forums).

Where have you been, I got both server files and modpack on my mega.co.nz

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

Thats the point of it. They are mocking A3L.com

Where have you been, I got both server files and modpack on my mega.co.nz

In the wilderness.

Not sure what you mean by kicking for that.

I answer you not in PM as I'd like to see what others think as well.

This is only my opinion, so check it out and do some research but I'll explain the theory.

As you may or may not know, these commands can retrieve the contents of script files.

So what someone "hacking" your server will do is:

They won't know what the script files or function variables are called. But they can figure them out by at first retrieving something common to all missions like init.sqf or some other default bis nomenclature files (description.ext, initServer.sqf etc)

So they send some code over to get the server init and send it back to them

So once they have that file, they then look for more variable names that are defined in it and load those files until they've got the lot.

You might have put your functions in CfgFunctions on the server, but they can access those easily by sending code to the server (with MP EH or similar) and run a config check for (configfile >> "cfgFunctions") or maybe through the missionConfigFile. So then they can grab all the functions you saved in config by iterating through and sending it back.

In my opinion once a mission has started, a client should have NO business in sending the following commands over the net:

loadFile

preprocessFile

preprocessFileLineNumbers

getArray

getText

getNumber

(and possibly some other stuff that I can't remember right now as it's 5 in the morning).

You can set up the scripts.txt in BattlEye to kick for these commands if they're in code sent from client to server. As I say, unless you have weird mission design, then you would have compiled everything at the start of the mission so you would not expect your players to send such random requests for information over the network.

The filters can be set up something like this:

4 loadFile

4 preprocessFile

4 preprocessFileLineNumbers

etc....

See here for better info on filters:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131759-New-BattlEye-features-for-server-admins&p=2192402&viewfull=1#post2192402

EDIT: you could also set some values in the server config to disallow certain extension from being loaded like this:

allowedLoadFileExtensions[] = {};
allowedPreprocessFileExtensions[] = {};

But it seems pointless as for some reason it checks BIS files as well so it breaks the game if you disallow everything. Hopefully they can do something about that.

Edited by Das Attorney

In the wilderness.

I answer you not in PM as I'd like to see what others think as well.

This is only my opinion, so check it out and do some research but I'll explain the theory.

As you may or may not know, these commands can retrieve the contents of script files.

So what someone "hacking" your server will do is:

They won't know what the script files or function variables are called. But they can figure them out by at first retrieving something common to all missions like init.sqf or some other default bis nomenclature files (description.ext, initServer.sqf etc)

So they send some code over to get the server init and send it back to them

So once they have that file, they then look for more variable names that are defined in it and load those files until they've got the lot.

You might have put your functions in CfgFunctions on the server, but they can access those easily by sending code to the server (with MP EH or similar) and run a config check for (configfile >> "cfgFunctions") or maybe through the missionConfigFile. So then they can grab all the functions you saved in config by iterating through and sending it back.

In my opinion once a mission has started, a client should have NO business in sending the following commands over the net:

loadFile

preprocessFile

preprocessFileLineNumbers

getArray

getText

getNumber

(and possibly some other stuff that I can't remember right now as it's 5 in the morning).

You can set up the scripts.txt in BattlEye to kick for these commands if they're in code sent from client to server. As I say, unless you have weird mission design, then you would have compiled everything at the start of the mission so you would not expect your players to send such random requests for information over the network.

The filters can be set up something like this:

4 loadFile

4 preprocessFile

4 preprocessFileLineNumbers

etc....

See here for better info on filters:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131759-New-BattlEye-features-for-server-admins&p=2192402&viewfull=1#post2192402

EDIT: you could also set some values in the server config to disallow certain extension from being loaded like this:

But it seems pointless as for some reason it checks BIS files as well so it breaks the game if you disallow everything. Hopefully they can do something about that.

I am confused as I thought this was addressed some updates ago with

allowedHTMLLoadExtensions[] = {};

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

LOL, ArmAPilot, this http://i.imgur.com/BEKYVuK.png is fuckin' hilarious.

So he's mad that someone would steal all of his stuff and copy his website & server? That's very hypocrite of him. :) Also i'm glad that it finally happened, and I wish that A3L servers start popping up like wildfire, not that it would be a good thing for the Arma community but at least he'd loose a bunch of his members.

Also I think that sharing someone's personal informations is quite immature, something a 12 years old would probably not even do.

Edited by GSP167

Also i'm glad that it finally happened, and I wish that A3L servers start popping up like wildfire, not that it would be a good thing for the Arma community but at least he'd loose a bunch of his members.

Also I think that sharing someone's personal informations is quite immature, something a 12 years old would probably not even do.

Serverlist got added to this I guess. http://pastebin.com/6SNJ7uSb#

I was in one of those server's teamspeaks and allot of people said they are playing a ripoff because they can't get in A3L.

So the rippers got ripped - well there is some justice in that.

I must say I am very disappointed in BIS's response via Matt that they will not deal with the full team with the fullest range of economic measures open to them.

A3L team as a whole:

1. modified Tonics no-derivs code and claimed it as their own,

2. modified Milkmans and RobertHammers no-derivs mods and charge people to use them. Both of these guys have asked them to remove their content, but they have not complied with this wish

3. published a price-list for content, and when this was evidenced they hid it basically, and told BIS that they had taken it down, but continued to collect money from new users wanting access.

4. abused people in the forums asking questions about what they were up to, and have been disrespectful to Gnat, Tonic, myself and others about our questions

5. presented themselves to the world as professional, with a lawyer no-less, only to be outed by their own disillusioned team members as youngsters, and confessing they made the bit up about the lawyer (essentially to try to scare us off)

6. allegedly stole licensed copyrighted materials from Microsoft, Forza, Shift 2, and CL3

and today they

a) continue to secretly charge for access

b) publish these allegedly illegal models in the arma 3 engine

c) promote their stolen and modified arma community assets (Tonic, Milkman, RobertHammer)

d) sow a big seam of discord amongst the collaborative, experienced modding community that keeps BIS games popular

so what can be done?

first a forum ban for these guys unless they confirm they have left the mod team

make complaints here

Web host: http://www.networksolutions.com/abuse-report.jsp

Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/arma3lifeofficial

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Arma3life

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/a3life

Steam: steamcommunity.com/groups/a3l?l=german

write to Marek Spanel about it using the contact form here

http://support.bistudio.com/

a3lpriacy_zps7d85fdbf.jpg

sign my petition

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bis-vs-piracy

Edited by eggbeast

Petition signed. Sort this out BIS or your EULA is not worth the time you took to write it. All bark no bite.

make complaints here...

dont forget to add twitch.tv

Streamer over there alredy joke about specific people in this thread.

Well this is very interesting... http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/bus-3073.html

yeah but its still illegal. the guy who uploaded it broke cryteks EULA even if he does not make any profit, unless crytek gave this guy permission to upload it but i doubt it.

if the arma 3:life team took crysis 2 bus from crysis 2 game itself or from this site: they make money with cryteks model which is illegal. ofcourse the A3:Life team maybe did got the model from a site where peoples can download free models, but in the end, crytek made the model, no matter from where A3:life team got the model.

yeah but its still illegal. the guy who uploaded it broke cryteks EULA even if he does not make any profit, unless crytek gave this guy permission to upload it but i doubt it.

if the arma 3:life team took crysis 2 bus from crysis 2 game itself or from this site: they make money with cryteks model which is illegal. ofcourse the A3:Life team maybe did got the model from a site where peoples can download free models, but in the end, crytek made the model, no matter from where A3:life team got the model.

Even better, they broke Cryteks EULA and then A3L broke the "Personal use only" license on the model...