takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

I would imagine the only people to take legal action (if any), will be dev's. It could be pretty costly to chase.

Very interesting thread this, but really the only ones going to get anything done, are those with the deeper pockets, I fear.. That's of course if any laws have been broken, or terms violated, proving that could be difficult too.

Getting a chargeback from PP, well yes, that will clear a problem for some, that's for sure.

Maybe more surprising than the thread issue, is someone getting a responce from PP, that has to be more or less a miracle, that's if it was a human responce, that is..;)

I have sent a detailed e-mail to PayPal to explain the situation and how it infringes the 'PayPal Acceptable Use' policy. Because of the wording of the donation perks when people 'donated' to get into 'Closed Beta' it was actually counted as purchasing a product. This product infringes copyright and that means it is an infringement of the 'PayPal Acceptable Use' policy which in effect grants every user that purchased the product a full refund. I am awaiting a response from PayPal which can take up to 48 Hours but I will relay the response as soon as I have it.

Where is the evidence? Good luck finding any because we haven't stolen shit from them. The author cannot force me to remove addons unless we broke the license, which we didn't. And don't start that commercial shit story again.

Nobody will have his addons removed from our mod, they are available publicly on armaholic and we have not broken anyone's license.

kthxbai.

What a sad little kid you are. The evidence is right infront of you, and has been exposed numerous times now, but for some reason your uneducated brain just doesn't seem to understand it. If you would just take the time to dislodge your head from your ass, you could actually read the licenses attached to the addons/mods you have stolen...and if you're smart enough, you will finally see the error in your ways. Let's just look past the commercial part of the license that you are obviously breaking, and look at another broken agreement which states: No-Derivs. Apparently you don't understand what this means, because you keep arguing that you haven't broken any license agreements. No-Derivatives means you are free to use the addon/mod as long as it is in its full-state and not edited/modified in any way. Simply changing the server key to an addon/mod is considered, editing/modifying...which I'm sure that isn't all you've edited in other peoples work, but that's enough to point out that you have broken the license. Just because addons/mods are made publicly available, does not entitle you to download and change them in any way you like...then re-upload them as your own. Granted, you will continue to do so since you seem to believe that no one really enforces copyright laws, but if you are so in the right, why is it that BI, PayPal, and I'm sure several other big companies have suddenly taken notice to you? Transactions getting blocked? I don't believe those guys are 'haters', so why would they be doing this to you? All the better, just keep playing dumb as that only benefits the opposite side against you.

By the way: http://arma3-life.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9740-official-beta-release-date/

Yeah, because moving to a new server will solve everything. So how long do you plan to keep this up before the truth finally catches up with you?

So... not to defend him but changing server key doesn't break any license.. you have to do it if you intend to maintain a modset and ensure people are playing with the exact same mods of as each other. Anyone that runs a private server knows that.

Well, I don't run my own private server so that is knowledge to me, thanks for the correction. Regardless, Tonic's work better fits my statement as it was clearly stolen and modified...and I'm sure that isn't the only persons work they have edited to their liking.

Hell, on their website they stream armaholic updates, just keeping their community updated on new addons released so they can vote on what to add next.

Edited by Siege-A

I seen a video of this guy modeling a car for Arma on Twitch or something -could have sworn he had the voice of a 12-14 yo. Is he even liable at that age?

All what is happening right here could all have been avoided if people just simply asked if they could use their scripts/skins/mods/whatever for the A3 Life mod. Btw, ever since their announcement that the mod will go open beta, their seems to be a boom of players wanting to join, and also the donations are still racking in: http://arma3-life.com/forums/index.php?/donate/

Their website also get's a DDos warning, and all their servers are down, don't tell me some prick is actually DDossing them?

I had been keeping my eye on the mod for a long time and it looked promising, they can still safe face...

So... not to defend him but changing server key doesn't break any license.. you have to do it if you intend to maintain a modset and ensure people are playing with the exact same mods of as each other. Anyone that runs a private server knows that.

Redistributing without explicit permission does though.

I run private servers and the only reasons to ever change the Key on a mod "as far as I know" is:-

1. Original key is broken.

2. You have altered the .pbo

3. You want to restrict who can join the server.

Apart from the above the Key does not need altering.

And you certainly do not have to do it to maintain a mod-set unless as above.

What I feel he/they are saying is that they have a mod set on their server which has other authors mods inside it.

This alone isn't an offence and has been going on for a long time on a lot of servers.

What is wrong and he/they do not understand, is that you cannot then release that mod set to the community as your work and you sure as hell cannot charge for it as a donation scam.

Hes maybe now starting to understand that calling "pay to play" a "donation", is not a loophole in the eyes of the community or the law.

And that you can't take other peoples work and re release it under a donation scam or as a new mod called A3L.

Its a shame when this Kind of community takes and abuses the mods that the original community put out there for the ArmA series so they can gain a fast buck.

A few days of asking authors for permission would have saved them and the community a lot of headaches.

along with 5 minutes reading the arma3 elua.

Caiden is obviously under a lot of stress at the moment, judging by his responses.

I would suggest to him that he asks his parents for advice before things escalate.

Very interesting thread Hope BIS/PayPal/Steam make an example so other Donation Scam communities sit up and take note.

P.S feel free to make a donation to me so I can get some BEER :)

Edited by BL1P

Oh Caiden, would you care to explain why in the file named a3l_volvos60r.pbo it contains this code which is from CityLifeRPG? Actually, I already know what answer I will get, they stole it from you which seems logical when it has their code in your files...

BhLFQUi.png

StevenW129 when I click on your images to enlarge it shows a blank page you sure imgur can handle .png ?

this is the page it links to for enlarge http://i.imgur.com/BhLFQUi.png

Ok change the .png to .jpg in the linky thing and it works m8

And yes "Linky Thing" is a technical term!!

StevenW129 when I click on your images to enlarge it shows a blank page you sure imgur can handle .png ?

this is the page it links to for enlarge http://i.imgur.com/BhLFQUi.png

Ok change the .png to .jpg in the linky thing and it works m8

Try this - http://gyazo.com/05abeae4e622f1231ffe859944fe4e8c

Anyway it appears Caiden is banned from this forum now...

---------- Post added at 08:09 ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 ----------

It's funny, the more I compare the vehicle configs from A3L against CityLife, the more vehicles I find that they have stolen and attempted to rename

It's funny, the more I compare the vehicle configs from A3L against CityLife, the more vehicles I find that they have stolen and attempted to rename

good work can't wait to see the full list. I allwas wonderd how could they make so much stuff on there own - and now we know ...

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As an administrator for a life server called ArmaRPG. People ask me all the time if it "costs 30$ to join."

A3L has caused the ArmA community to distrust developers of all sorts. Tonic, I've been following your development for a VERY long time and in-fact HELPED you with development back in ArmA2. Your work, is your work. This crap of Caiden saying you stole his work, is complete crap. I've seen your work... I've worked with you on your work. Anyone who even begins to believe the crap coming from Caiden either

A. Has no idea what is going on.

B. ..... Okay I can't think of a B, because, well.... Caiden is just a load of crap.

Did anyone contact Frenkie yet to take down his promo video?

;2807886']Did anyone contact Frenkie yet to take down his promo video?

Probably not. That is up to the actual author of the content to report it for copyright.

I was on Psi's stream yesterday an let a majority of people know by showing them this thread. Frankie's another story though. Psi is likely to continue playing it, however, as streamers follow the line of what the viewers would like to see, which Afaik, is mainly A3L for Psi.

I was on Psi's stream yesterday an let a majority of people know by showing them this thread. Frankie's another story though. Psi is likely to continue playing it, however, as streamers follow the line of what the viewers would like to see, which Afaik, is mainly A3L for Psi.

Wouldn't knowingly monetizing videos containing stolen content make these streamers legally liable as well?

funny, A3:Life released a trailer for theyr public beta version.

now, read what they wrote in the description of the video:

This video was created using content of Bohemia Interactive & ArmA 3 Life a.s.

Copyright © 2014 Bohemia Interactive & ArmA 3 Life a.s. All rights reserved.

See www.bistudio.com & http://arma3-life.com/ for more information.

this video was created using content of arma 3 life ? this video was created using content of other mods, games and other game mods!

Won't Google/YouTube now need to be contacted about the issue?

yup, time to contact them.

A3:life needs to be removed, no matter where.

Won't Google/YouTube now need to be contacted about the issue?

Aw man, looks like I have something to do while i'm waiting for my new sofa to be delivered.

Man I've been waiting 3 days to get my application accepted and now you guys are trying to get the game destroyed. I don't understand why anybody cares, if some of these people really wanna pay money to get an advantage in an otherwise free game then thats their problem. Even if they did use models from other games and stuff I dont see why it matters when the mod is still technically free. I mean I was playin altis life earlier today and it was askin me to donate the whole time. The point is that it can be completely free if you want it to be so who cares. You guys might see this as you taking down some evil group of thieves but I see it as a bunch of jerks taking away a game experience I was extremely excited about and spent a lot of time filling out an application for. =(

Man I've been waiting 3 days to get my application accepted and now you guys are trying to get the game destroyed. I don't understand why anybody cares, if some of these people really wanna pay money to get an advantage in an otherwise free game then thats their problem. Even if they did use models from other games and stuff I dont see why it matters when the mod is still technically free. I mean I was playin altis life earlier today and it was askin me to donate the whole time. The point is that it can be completely free if you want it to be so who cares. You guys might see this as you taking down some evil group of thieves but I see it as a bunch of jerks taking away a game experience I was extremely excited about and spent a lot of time filling out an application for. =(

Because stealing isn't legal, how can you fail to see the issue with taking someone else's work and then charging for it. The mod most certainly wasn't free, and attempting to claim someone else's code or models as your own is outright theft, regardless of whether or not you're charging.

They are earning money on other people's hard work. Imagine that you spend a year putting your heart into a car and release it to the public, and then another one use your hard work to get easy money. Why shouldn't you have that money? You made it.

The answer is that you shouldn't have that money as it is against BI EULA and neither should the other person using your car for cash...

Like I said, its only pay if you want to. Ive never spent a dime on it. Altis Life servers also have pay features so whats the difference when that game is a mod of arma 3