takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

I have recordings, but I'm to worried that the same thing will happen to me.

Connecting a (dynamic) IP to a person isn't possible unless you're a larger secret service or got a court to force your provider into giving your data out.

DDOS attacks are more or less daily business for larger sites - way too much kids on the internet.

I have recordings, but I'm to worried that the same thing will happen to me. That they don't like how I'm speaking negatively about there server, what's to stop them from calling my family members? Nothing.

Like others have said, they don't have the ability to get your address or phone number from your IP address. They can quickly get the general area you live in (example: they can figure out you are in London) but that's it. In order to get someones phone # and address based off an IP address you need to get it from the ISP (internet service provider). Typically they only give this information away with a court order (if you live in the USA and most other countries as well). So yeah, you don't have to worry about a bunch of internet wimps coming after you.

FRANKIEonPCin1080p has 2 million and rising subscribers. He recently done a video about ArmA 3 Life Mod basically giving them free advertisement and posted a link to their website below in the description of the above video. Hes had 93,146 views on that video already and no doubt that will grow. Many other youtuber's with high subscribers have also done videos on the Life Mod. Although Bohemia Interactive may make more sales for buying the game etc when youtuber's do these kinds of videos so will the people at ArmA 3 Life Mod as I'm sure the mentioned "Donation" system is still in place. Edited by deltagamer

On a technical level, yes, the donation system is still in place. You can still donate to be a civilian or get "recommended". However, if I read their website correctly, you don't have to donate to be a cop or ems. Regardless, I'm sure donating helps your standing when it comes to becoming a cop.

BI will not do anything about this,because 70% of F servers on list are Altis Life servers,and why?? A lot of guys noticed that they can open their own server ask "donation" for server, "donation" to play on it "donation" to get some advantage over other players, oh and yea "donation" for them to earn money also. I am not mod maker,just playing Arma 3 in mil sim but blind guy can see what is happening on servers,hoped once on some random server wanted to be police guy,gues what "DONATE" you can be one for just 19.99$(Joke for price thingy but not for DONATE)

I wonder how crippling it would be if BI prevented the in game server browser or whatever infrastructure service on Steam they use to provide server lists from displaying this mod or game mode.

Surely there are ways around this but for the casual style of gamers that I assume form the bulk of Life players it could be a large enough deterrent.

But then of course I expect not all servers running these game mods are thieves

We're not talking about altis life, here. We're talking about A3L. And while I'm sure a lot of the guys there are perfectly respectable people, the few who aren't- who are taking other people's mods without permission- need to be stopped and their operation needs to be shut down. And no, Altis Life servers are fine,

Altis Life RPG by Tonic is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Which means that you can use Altis life as long as you give tonic credit and don't change it up.

Yep I've been following the other thread before it was locked, so I'm aware of the difference between Tonic's original mode and A3L. Was just thinking out aloud above re the server browser thing, and it was directed towards A3L servers.

I'll show the evidence in this post: Check out this video on their own channel to see the boats. Check out this page to see who owns and made them! :)

**EDIT** They follow this topic, their boat video no longer works. It's private now.

Boat pic 1 Boat pic 2 Boat pic 3

Enough proof? I think I've made my point.

Sidenote: since when is Dezkit, a modder with a very goodname part of their team?

According to

he is.

**EDIT** Ships are removed from the game.

Edited by DreamRebel

Sidenote: since when is Dezkit, a modder with a very goodname part of their team?

According to

he is.

Its not really a problem if Dezkit is a part of Life Mod or not. Dezkit may have donated his mods giving them permission to use it. You have to remember that some people involved in the project may not be aware of the "donation" system they have in place and may not receive any funding/payment for working on the project. Also you would need full evidence of the wrong doing before condemning the mod and its team, perhaps someone who has access to the mod can upload it and notify a moderator privately so they can look into it more.

Edited by deltagamer

I know, don't get me wrong. I know eveything and there is more evidence then you. But I remember Dezkit saying he didn't wanted his mods to be ued as payware. And to be honest I don't think it's good for his reputation to work with them. But thats my opinion.

I understand where you're coming from but we need to respect what Dezkit and others wish to do with their content. I think we all should be careful in understanding who is the main cause of the problem and who isn't as I don't think this has been discussed to its fullest. Honestly I would like to see a decent and open discussion with the Life Mod Lead Manager on this forum to address some issues and question people have, but as far as I'm aware and by how things are looking it won't be anytime soon.

Edited by deltagamer

The big question here should be, why Arma 3 turned into a survival role playing game type? This should be the question.

These people from A3Life are just doing the usual in these types of RPG and now it is to late for stopping it since they already represent the majority of the A3 players.

About the issue raised here, It may be questionable in matters of ethics but I dont see any legal issue with what they are doing.

Technically they are not selling mods, if was the case then eventually (depending the way how mods are copyrighted) some legal question could be raised.

They are using mods that were made available in a free way, as everyone would be using in a public server.

Simply they are charging for access in to their private servers which includes the game and also includes the mods. Is their right to charge or restrict the access in to their servers, they are the owners of the servers. They can manage it whatever they want. It is up to players the decision to pay for having access in their servers.

Even the possible changes they may have made in someones mod, hardly will raise any legal issue, just because these same mods do not have a copyright protection based on what the law requires.

Obviously as matter of courtesy they should give credits to authors instead of claiming for it themselves.

Of course this is a nasty and negative situation, no one likes to see someone profiting with something that was made with hard work and intended to be free.

This will lead to the end of free mods and/or the end of the mods itself, either way the modding for Arma 3 will be dead in short time.

So, I will ask again, why a Game that was presented as the next generation in matters of military simulation has turned in to a survival role playing game type? None of these gameplay types includes a slight reference to military simulation, in fact is every day more dificult to find a server running the original Arma concept.

No one saw this coming? Or this was part of the plan? Should we believe that Arma 3 still belongs in to military simulator category?

The big question here should be, why Arma 3 turned into a survival role playing game type? This should be the question.

These people from A3Life are just doing the usual in these types of RPG and now it is to late for stopping it since they already represent the majority of the A3 players.

THIS times 1000.

Arma has been a toned down military sim ever since the Flashpoint days. It's not about zombies, RPG survival, Sims emulation, or some sci-fi BS. There are literally hundreds of better suited games dealing with these things. Many of these games are very moddable. Arma is unique. Altering Arma into something that it is not is a bit like trying to retrofit a rear seat and cupholders into a Ferrari to make it feel a little more like the Toyota Corolla that you love.

I feel like RHS and whoever is doing the (remarkably similar) Veteran mod are the only organized outfits who actually get the spirit of the game and don't try to turn it into something that it was never meant to be.

I don't believe the issue here is whether or not A3L is running a milsim experience or not.

A3 is a sandbox game. It gives developers the creative freedom to build what they like and offers players to play whatever they want.

That's a win win for everybody.

The issue here is breach of eula, violation of licenses and theft of content. This would still be the case if it had been done by the largest milsim communities or most popular warfare game modes.

Right?

About the issue raised here, It may be questionable in matters of ethics but I dont see any legal issue with what they are doing.

Technically they are not selling mods, if was the case then eventually (depending the way how mods are copyrighted) some legal question could be raised.

They are using mods that were made available in a free way, as everyone would be using in a public server.

Simply they are charging for access in to their private servers which includes the game and also includes the mods. Is their right to charge or restrict the access in to their servers, they are the owners of the servers. They can manage it whatever they want. It is up to players the decision to pay for having access in their servers.

Even the possible changes they may have made in someones mod, hardly will raise any legal issue, just because these same mods do not have a copyright protection based on what the law requires.

Obviously as matter of courtesy they should give credits to authors instead of claiming for it themselves.

Of course this is a nasty and negative situation, no one likes to see someone profiting with something that was made with hard work and intended to be free.

This will lead to the end of free mods and/or the end of the mods itself, either way the modding for Arma 3 will be dead in short time.

So, I will ask again, why a Game that was presented as the next generation in matters of military simulation has turned in to a survival role playing game type? None of these gameplay types includes a slight reference to military simulation, in fact is every day more dificult to find a server running the original Arma concept.

No one saw this coming? Or this was part of the plan? Should we believe that Arma 3 still belongs in to military simulator category?

I'm not sure what you mean. A3L has an open application process available to the public, in which they charge $30 to play on their server. In addition they are using other peoples hard work without their knowledge and profiting from it.

The issue here is breach of eula, violation of licenses and theft of content. This would still be the case if it had been done by the largest milsim communities or most popular warfare game modes.

Exactly, this is not about the gamemode ( as some above posters seem to think), its not about whether you hate the admins because they banned you, its not about whether you hate altis life or any "life" gamemode, its about

some people who stole work , illegally collected funds and did alot of shady and unfair server and legal etc practices

I think the thread should be renamed as honestly it doesnt "sound" like its about the legal issues from the title,

may I suggest "Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life" or something?

This is wrong. Real wars are, infact, a 'survival simulation'. The civilian aspect is important, sometimes determining the outcome of wars. There are so many areas that Arma does not cover when it comes to the civilian aspect. Some of them are understandable, as they would be controversial (e.g. genocide, rape, atrocities, torture, ect.), some of them could be better represented. If you think war is just about two different armies engaging each others you are very wrong. There's a whole lot of things going on, psychological and economical war being cruical to the conflict. So the whole concept of 'army vs army' is already a 'watered-down' representation of actual, real-world conflicts, no matter how accurate the individual simulation is. From my view, BI should certainly consider to build upon and expand the civilian aspect of the series. This was already kinda attempted in the OFP expansion Resistance, where the resistance army was born out of the civilian disagreement over the Soviet occupation.

I'm not sure what you mean. A3L has an open application process available to the public, in which they charge $30 to play on their server. In addition they are using other peoples hard work without their knowledge and profiting from it.

Copied from their website: "Anyone can sign up, if accepted, passing the applications and interview you can then do the following...

A ) Wait 2 weeks as a registered member and apply for Police

B ) Wait 2 weeks as a registered member and apply for EMS

C ) Wait until a staff member invites you into the Closed Beta

Why are these the only ways to get into the game?

In Closed Beta we are only looking for highly talented role-players to assist in the testing and development of the game, we currently have thousands of testers, ergo to test out as a civilian you must be invited to do so.

Do I need to pay to play?

No you do not! To play simply pass your applications and interviews and either be invited into the Closed Beta by staff or wait 2 weeks after completing your interview and apply for Police or EMS."

---------- Post added at 04:39 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

Also: "note: donating to A3L will not guarantee you a spot in game, neither will it mean you can skip the application/interview/whitelisting process, donating at this time will not get you anything in-game either. Although will be thanked with a nice stylish forum and teamspeak tag and will get access to exclusive forums, on the full release of A3L some donators may recieve a small in-game present to thank them for the support in our development stages to pay for server costs."

I think the thread should be renamed as honestly it doesnt "sound" like its about the legal issues from the title,

may I suggest "Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life" or something?

Agreed and done.

@devilslayer - They only very recently changed the wording. From what I hear, donating still gets you access.

What legal violations? Is their server, they can set the rules they want and that includes fees.

About mods? The mods are available for everyone to grab, they just did it and placed it on their servers. I agree its not ethical, its not polite, its not what Arma community was used to. But between these moral values and a legal violation there is a big ocean.

I dont see where is the surprise, this is how these RPG survival game modes work and this is only the beginning, expect more. Oh Wait .. I see .. people was expecting to have these game modes keeping the old good respectful Arma tradition. Oh well, welcome to the new era.

What legal violations? Is their server, they can set the rules they want and that includes fees.

About mods? The mods are available for everyone to grab, they just did it and placed it on their servers. I agree its not ethical, its not polite, its not what Arma community was used to. But between these moral values and a legal violation there is a big ocean.

I dont see where is the surprise, this is how these RPG survival game modes work and this is only the beginning, expect more. Oh Wait .. I see .. people was expecting to have these game modes keeping the old good respectful Arma tradition. Oh well, welcome to the new era.

It is illegal as they are taking someone else's work, claiming it is their own and then charging money for it. In addition it may be their server but it is not their game and they still have to follow the rules set down by the license agreement.