austin_medic

[Guide] Your Guide to Dialogs

Your Guide to Dialogs

by

austinXmedic

This guide is meant to help you learn how to create a basic dialog that will accept user input and display it on the screen.

This one isn't too complex, I wrote it up in about an hour, all it covers is one basic dialog.

It consists of a frame, a button, and a edit box. It also contains a download link to a hpp file that you will need for the dialog to function

I didn't really take the time to beautify the dialog either, so it looks hideous, I could care less really about how nice it looks for the purposes of demonstration.

I might add a second section for something a bit more complex than this and cover other resources such as the list box in the future.

NOTE: There is a few pictures missing from the PDF, though no biggie, you can still get a working dialog without them.

Mirrors:

Dropbox

Armaholic

Sample Mission

Edited by austin_medic
  • Like 1

I've just checked it out, really helpful. We should probably link this to the BI Wiki.

Regarding your 8 question mark question about the "moving" property:

If you set "movingEnabled = true" to the dialog and set "moving = true" to one or more of its controls, you can drag the whole dialog by dragging one of these controls. So "moving", as it is in your guide, is in the wrong spot. It does not belong to the dialog, but to one of its controls.

For more details, check the BIKI here.

Kind regards,

Johnny

Edited by Heeeere's Johnny!

Thanks for sharing Austin. And I was just in the middle of majorly re-vamping the one I did from Arma2. :p.

Regarding your 8 question mark question about the "moving" property:

If you set "movingEnabled = true" to the dialog and set "moving = true" to one or more of its controls, you can drag the whole dialog by dragging one of these controls. So "moving", as it is in your guide, is in the wrong spot. It does not belong to the dialog, but to one of its controls.

For more details, check the BIKI here.

Kind regards,

waltenberg aka Johnny

I had no idea.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Updated the guide with a section on how to make and use listboxes. Also some corrections to the first section.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Excellent, I was waiting for the Listbox part. Thank you very much!

I couldn't get this to work at all for me. I did notice a few errors i.e. it says to press Alt when it should be Ctrl. The information doesn't seem consistent. Its probably me. Are there any other documentation/tutorials on how to make listboxes?

I couldn't get this to work at all for me. I did notice a few errors i.e. it says to press Alt when it should be Ctrl. The information doesn't seem consistent. Its probably me. Are there any other documentation/tutorials on how to make listboxes?

It's probably how I worded it. To me it looks like its all fine (just checked it), and nobody else has came forward to say it doesn't work. Soooo.....

guess I'll post source code to dropbox when I get some time (since it works).

Looking forward to getting into this. Hoping maybe this weekend. Have problems getting safezones and screen resolutions figured out. Thanks!

Looking forward to getting into this. Hoping maybe this weekend. Have problems getting safezones and screen resolutions figured out. Thanks!

Always use Safezone and you should be fine. It makes the dialogue fit the sceen resolution of the player. However there are some cases where it doesn't work.

Always use Safezone and you should be fine. It makes the dialogue fit the sceen resolution of the player. However there are some cases where it doesn't work.

I should add a little blurb somewhere in the guide about that. Never even though of really bothering with that functionality at all.