austin_medic

[Guide] Coding Basics

Arma 3 Coding Basics

by

austin(medic)

I wrote up this guide a while back on the steam forums, but I thought it might be useful to upload it elsewhere.

Basically it attempts to go over the basics of coding in arma 3. Although I'm no coding guru like some other people on these forums, I do know how to make scripts. Most of it was written off the top of my head, so its probably far from being a complete guide, still, something is better than nothing.

It contains 11 sections (techically 12 with the intro paragraph)

they cover: Helpful Websites, Varaibles, Files Data types, Passing Variables to Scripts, The Error box, SQF File structure, Clean Code, Functions, Comments, and also a section on Camera Scripting.

Any suggestions put them down in the comments

Mirrors:

Armaholic

Dropbox

Edited by austin_medic

Nice work. I've seen this sort of PDF titleing somewhere already. Is there a template for this somewhere?

And could you give the code some syntax highlighting? That would make it a lot easier for people who are just beginning to learn SQF.

Nice work. I've seen this sort of PDF titleing somewhere already. Is there a template for this somewhere?

And could you give the code some syntax highlighting? That would make it a lot easier for people who are just beginning to learn SQF.

1. I used the titling in MS Word using the Title 1 font template

2. I'll try to do syntax highlighting, thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by austin_medic

Thanks for sending us the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Very well done scripting guide for beginners. This should be sticky or BI should add it to one of their REPs. However, I've got a little complain, It would have been nice, if you had added a table of contents.

Very well done scripting guide for beginners. This should be sticky or BI should add it to one of their REPs. However, I've got a little complain, It would have been nice, if you had added a table of contents.

Waiting a few days before I update the guide with a table of contents and syntax highlighting to gather feedback beforehand.

Great! I love seeing more resources become available to beginners (check my sig for proof). I've actually been thinking of starting a scripting tutorial series on youtube, even.

Is it okay if I add a link to this page in my sig?

Waiting a few days before I update the guide with a table of contents and syntax highlighting to gather feedback beforehand.

Great to hear that, thanks

Great! I love seeing more resources become available to beginners (check my sig for proof). I've actually been thinking of starting a scripting tutorial series on youtube, even.

I would love to see a proper guide about dialogue creating. The BI wiki is a whole mess when you want to create advanced dialogues.

Is it okay if I add a link to this page in my sig?

Go ahead.

@ R3vo

I might do one of those when I find time, got a bunch of them on my PC that are semi-functional for accepting user input.

Go ahead.

@ R3vo

I might do one of those when I find time, got a bunch of them on my PC that are semi-functional for accepting user input.

I and probably many others would apprechiate that!

Wrote up another guide on dialogs (should be near the top of this forum now). I'm done writing anything else for today. About 5,000 words combining both guides + formatting and error checking is enough for me.

Wrote up another guide on dialogs (should be near the top of this forum now). I'm done writing anything else for today. About 5,000 words combining both guides + formatting and error checking is enough for me.

Wow that's awesome dude! Gonna check it out as soon as I've got time.