John Spartan

F/a-18x black wasp

Have you guys got anything to do with the new Planes pack? I mean the carriers called freedom and one of the aircraft is called the black wasp?

16 minutes ago, wolfbite said:

Have you guys got anything to do with the new Planes pack? I mean the carriers called freedom and one of the aircraft is called the black wasp?

They created their own studio (BO1) and helped BI out with the Aircraft and the Carrier.

2 minutes ago, lumnuon said:

They created their own studio (BO1) and helped BI out with the Aircraft and the Carrier.

It makes so much sense now.... Congrats team! I am truly excited to see this when its out!

1 hour ago, wolfbite said:

Totes, it wasn't all just a conspiracy.

• Like 8

@ John Spartan and company:

I have been trying the new jets on dev branch and have a good deal of fun with them. Looks pretty nice alltogether and with the enhanced laser tgps its a blast to hunt down convoy and such. So here is some feedback, though i guess some of it is about to be implemented by you guys anyway soon. I reckon a good deal of what i write down below concerns BI dev. equally or more than you. When i use the words, 'should, need or best', its not intended to signal i know better or 'its the only right way'. I just used them to cut this post down in length.

The biggest issue is one specific point of the flight model. If this was enhanced, i would consider fixed wing flight reasonbly well implemented for what the arma sandbox represents. The biggest problem with the current FM in my eyes, is the miniscule nose drop when banking. I just fired up DCS and rechecked the F-15c's behaviour in a 60° fighter turn. The nose comes down pretty hard and additionally, the aircraft is pushed into the turn because the lift of the wings forces the plane not upwards but into the direction you are banking. You know that stuff better than me, i am sure. Is there anyway the fixed wing FM could implement this behaviour? Its not just a question of realism/authenticity, but i forces one to steer the plane quite unnaturally. I often force the nose down quite heavily with rudder. Shallow banking angles don't turn the aircraft properly in arma, for the lack of that sideward push when banking. I know the Apex Caesar plane has a bit enhanced flight characteristics and sure feels a bit better It has that nose dive and sidewards lift implemented, although a bit weak i would say (not a real life pilot so who knows :)....).

Now some stuff concerning the new jets directly, in no particular order:

- laser best be placed between bombs and gun. I'd suggest to place it in last/first position when switching through weapons to always have it right next to bombs. Additionally, add a keybind for the laser. If you can't come up with a good default key, leave it unbound. People with a hotas have plenty of buttons.

- the 'point track' function does not work reliably. It often does not change from area to point track in tgp view.

- stronger, flashing collision lights that rather 'flash' then slightly blink. The latest release of Franze/Noduint AH-64 Apache enhanced by Sacha (ver. 1.43+) does this quite well. Seperate keybindings for collision and formation lights would be great.

- landings fine feel pretty good, any plans to implement compressible to the landing gears?

- more than 12k viewdistance/object distance as a vanilla option would really help. Apparently, you can do a config fix, but with the jets dlc, pls give us that option as a vanilla funtion.

- its very nice that a lot of flight info is now part of the cockpit dashbords, for instance flaps postition. I can the nozzle position, but not the thrust indicator in Black wasp, is that coming?

- the tgp marker cross needs a pointing line/cue that directs one where the tgp is pointing at displayed in the HUD/HMD. In the Gryphon for instance, one needs to turn until the HUD comes over the tgp cross to see it, but before that there is no indicattion whether to turn left or right. A cueing system like the DCS A-10c has for waypoints would do the trick.

- afterburner when max throttle instead as a seperate keybinding/aciton menu entry (once implemented).

- tgp 360° raduis of wasp 2 is good, this should be implemented for all planes. Yes, the Gryphon is supposed to be less hightech. But the angle of it's tgp is just to small atm. Right now, the tgp often jumps off target before a laser guided bomb impacts, screwing up the shot. Additionally, these jets are so fast that with such a restricted viewing angle, i am more busy positioning my plane to look for and lock up targets than acutally looking through the tgp. Even todays tgps have 360° viewing angle.

- the metal bars of the Shikra's canopy are a bit low ress compared to the other jets. And, fith generation but no HMD?

- max zoom too low, could you get it inline with the other vanilla aircraft/helos etc.? I just love my close up third person flybys :)

- in tgp view we have a bank angle representation in the lower left corner. Could this be enhanced to show pitch angle as well?

- the Gryphon seems to not have an aircraft nose indicator like the BW2 has. I think the gun cross is not sufficient, especially for manually locking up targets in a dive.

I guess this is enough for a start. Overall i am pretty happy about what you guys are bringing to arma 3. I don't know. Although i have a high fidelity flight sim (DCS), i still fairly enjoy that stuff in arma 3...now a lot more of course!

Congrats BO1 on the upcoming DLC. It's been a little while but I think I'll have a reson to devote some days to Arma again soon. Thank you.

Love the new jets B01. Sad to see this older version of the black wasp getting retired so to speak, it served me well.

But I have been putting the new jets through their paces on devbranch and really enjoy them. I love that they all have a different "feel" in the air. Also little things like the steering while taxing , and other improvements is just top notch. Also really love the sound of the engines . Awesome job !!

In regards to the carrier, this has me really excited. You may not be able to speak about this yet, but have hangar / elevators been confirmed. Also is functionality such as cable system, deck / hangar spawning etc is that handled with modules or.... ? 

thanks again everything looks amazing so far.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to understand how can works the hangar with tow module. I mean, if u can tow also choppers and not o ly, few, planes :f:

So does this mean the Arma series will finally have a dynamic mid-mission vehicle loadout editor like all of the F-18 addons?

Hoping that mid-mission Dynamic loadout gets in at some point.  It is NOT in Dev build so far.  But that doesn't mean it won't make it in at some point.  We all know it can be done.

On 17.4.2017 at 4:20 PM, DAGGER [111] said:

Love the new jets B01. Sad to see this older version of the black wasp getting retired so to speak, it served me well.

is that true? is this mod abandoned? please don't let it die. in reallity, the advanced hornet is the best choice, concidering cost and performence nowadays. it's still up to date!!

19 minutes ago, madpat3 said:

is that true? is this mod abandoned? please don't let it die. in reallity, the advanced hornet is the best choice, concidering cost and performence nowadays. it's still up to date!!

As you can see, it sure as hell isn't abandoned, what Dagger said is nonsense

On 20/02/2016 at 10:52 PM, John Spartan said:

....dead...no this is just a silence before the storm....

On 13/04/2017 at 10:56 PM, John Spartan said:

...looks like the weather is changing.

21 minutes ago, Foxone said:

I think they were hints to the Jets DLC. 

This probably isn't abandoned, but I'm sure they'll slow down development on it, as they've got the newer jets and Freedom to work on and making sure they stay up to date. 

Anyone here know how to spawn this with the wings folded?  Looked in the edit unit appearance and attributes block and there is no fold wings options, yet in the read me it states there is an option in the editor

On 5/12/2017 at 8:55 PM, Foxone said:

What i meant was that it was retired for my purposes with the release of the jets dlc. But as this is the BI forums its only natural that you would take that and then reply the way you did.