Hi RedPhoenix, did you try the last version? We managed to escape several times with it on our end. It is still tough though, but we don't want it to be always possible to flee.

But I agree it could use some tweaks.

There will be several scenario variations later, but because of the contest deadline, we were forced to make some choices (the water level rising makes editing way

more lengthy, because AI need to be aware of it). But we have already some plans to add more replayability (see roadmap).

For server admins: We need some feedback on the behavior of the tide syncing (you can activate it on the server parameters). It allows an exact syncing between the server water level and the client one, but

has a huge impact on performance (at least on my dedicated server). So we would be grateful if you could activate it from time to time and report any weird behavior encountered when doing so.

Roadmap for the next weeks:

- get some sleep finally ;)

-bug fixing

- Add the volcano

- Code optimization

- Add new ways of escaping (boats, radios broadcasting blufor extraction points ect.)

The long term roadmap is let's say...interesting...;). I don't want to spoil what it will be because I need first to gather a bigger team in order to be confident in the feasibility of the task. Also,

since it will explain the reason for the armageddon and add some rather unusual gameplay, It is more fun to make people wait for it in the dark ;).

So if you have experience in map making, rigging, scripting, 3d modeling, we need you! This addon is a lot about experimenting new things and we in fact come from the milsim community.

So even if you are repeled by the unusal set up of the mod, you might find the collaboration interesting to test and learn new things!

Sounds all pro, can't wait for it!

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

@Foxhound: Can you please add Make Love Not War as author? Thank you in advance.

As sole author or additionally?

Done :)

Edited by Guest
Done, author added

Haha, thanks, a nice mission idea. Is it playable in SP? I started it as MP LAN, worked, only I'm alone with no buddy, would a playthrough be alright here?

Would you recommend playing it with or without Blastcore?

It is possible to play it with blastcore in principle. Regarding SP testing, for the moment you can only do it via creating a MP LAN without AI.

The code is written having in mind single player as well, but we need to adjust the difficulty and check if everything works well before proposing a good SP experience.

Since we are only 2 devs, it would have been dangerous to focus on both SP and MP for the contest!

I tested the mission yesterday and it is fantastic. The fx for the different calamities were spot on...I didnt think Arma 3 could actually produce a convincing tornado, but damn...that was cool.

I only found 1 small bug. It seems that the water on Altis kept rising after I stopped the Armageddon session and exited Arma 3. I started A3 back up about an hour later and tried out another MANW contestant mission "DesolatioN" that also takes place on Altis. The problem was that the water on Altis had continued to rise and the mission started with my character swimming... Altis was under several hundred feet of water. I had a hunch this had to do witb the server side connection with Armageddon. I quit the game and removed the Armageddon addon from the addons folder. When I started A3 back up and tried the mission my character started on the beach the way it was supposed to. Pretty damn funny if you ask me. :-)

Edited by BadLucky1776

This is not a bug. It is due to the current way of increasing the water level. You need to deactivate the addon to play the game.

Tried your mod this evening with a few friends. It's brilliant!

We actually spent a few minutes at the begining just looking at meteors falling down from the skies. Then we died :)

However, there was some kind of bug during tornadoes: because of them, clients were desynchronized during the whole event.

Having a great time with the mission. Is there an actual goal or way to succeed? We got a helo and flew around for a half hour but couldn't figure out what to do.

Edited by Y_T

Excellent.

Downloaded both mod & mission and played it through on local until water level was up, about 1hr 45.

I only saw one server running the mission (French) is that yours ?

Be sure to continue with the SP mission, I'm certain it will be a great success.

Thanks, have some :icon14:

Sounds like everybody is enjoying the mission, and, even better from my perspective, there have as of yet been no real reports of bugs! :D Yes, as BadLucky1776 discovered, the addon has to be turned off when not playing the mission or it will flood the island in any other mission you attmept to play. Perhaps BIS will provide us with a setWaterLevel scripting command some day, but for now we create the flood by modifying the maxTide value within the island's config file.

Having a great time with the mission. Is there an actual goal or way to succeed? We got a helo and flew around for a half hour but couldn't figure out what to do.

Yes! The idea is to grab a helicopter - either find one and fix it up or hijack one from the AI - and escape the island before time runs out and it is completely flooded. So, if you guys were exploring around in a helicopter you had pretty much already won. :) The only thing left to do is fly off past the edge of the map. Although there is a help hint that pops up briefly at the start (just after the intro video snippet plays) that explains the situation and the mission goal, we should probably make things more clear. Perhaps a further explanation within the briefing screen? Or some more help hints popping up when a player enters their first chopper? A title text in the centre of the screen at the beginning screaming: "Get to da choppa!"? Yeah, probably not the latter idea. ;)

Also, while we're talking about escaping the island, there are currently plans to introduce boats as another method of egress. The idea being similar to the AI helicopters flying in to extract their teams, there would also be AI boat pickups. But, there's a number of pretty serious technical issues to sort out before this can happen. I will write more about those and other technical aspects and challenges (past, present and future) in an upcoming post.

Excellent.

Downloaded both mod & mission and played it through on local until water level was up, about 1hr 45.

I only saw one server running the mission (French) is that yours?

Most probably. If it's the Armadeus server then that is indeed super-truite's.

Be sure to continue with the SP mission, I'm certain it will be a great success.

Thanks, have some :icon14:

Many thanks! We'll make sure to release an SP version. It really shouldn't be too much of a problem; most of our pain in the making of this mission came from dealing with MP hijinks, so back-porting to SP will hopefully be child's play for us (famous last words ;)).

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Don't be shy about reporting bugs and making feature requests. Work on version 1.2 has already started with new fixes, improvements and goodies coming down the pipe soon. But, again, I'll leave that discussion for an upcoming post. ;)

We are playing this a lot. I prefer it when we are started in the far east of Altis as it becomes a dash to get over the middle of the map before stuff gets cut off. Starting in the west lessons that sense of time ticking and danger.

I would like to see some sort of revive system used instead of re-spawn and maybe another couple of player slots.

Keep up the amazing work.

@JimGun: The first design was to make players spawn only in the east, but due to the fast water rising in the current version, we decided to revert to spawning in the whole Island. Now that the contest is over, we can tweak a bit more the speed of the flood and why not go back to spawning only in the east. But we will wait for more feedback and debug what's left to debug before that.

@Ramun: Thanks, what does your nickname stands for? It looks like a diminutive for a rather rare name from my region, so I am curious!

By the way, how is the difficulty now?

We are playing this a lot. I prefer it when we are started in the far east of Altis as it becomes a dash to get over the middle of the map before stuff gets cut off. Starting in the west lessons that sense of time ticking and danger.

Just had a peek at the code, and currently the whole central isthmus and airport area is generally no higher than 15m which means it gets flooded in 25 minutes at current rates. Starting in the far east, players would almost never make it. We could certainly play with increasing that time to, for instance, 45 minutes, but then that would mean for anybody who did make it to western highlands they could easily forget worrying about the water for another hour or more. Still, there are perhaps other, much more dastardly, solutions to this pacing problem... :D We will certainly have another look into these things!

I would like to see some sort of revive system used instead of re-spawn

That's not a bad idea. We couldn't use any of the 3rd party revive systems for the contest and certainly didn't have time to write our own, but now it could be something to look into.

and maybe another couple of player slots.

Could be done, although 10 men is the max number that fit into a Ghosthawk (which is what got the players to Altis followed by a prompt crash upon arrival), so adding slots might be a bit of a credibility stretch. Again, there are probably creative ways around such limitations. ;)

Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks! And thanks for the feedback. :)

Hello there

Im not one to gush, especially about "sci fi/fantasy" mods. In fact im one of the old grumblers who want everything like good ole Arma 2.

But tonight I was convinced to try this on a friends server and I was blown away and had an astounding time.

Epic is the word ive been using to describe it and I dont think im misusing the term.

My thought process was something like this.

Helis? Ok. Usual fare. The weather? Dark and gloomy. Nice. The lightning? Well, seen that before. Scavenging? Nice touch. The meteor strikes? Damn impressive! The whirlwind? OMG! After that its all exclamation marks terror and giggling.

Ok, its not your traditional Arma fare and even if you dont normally like these off the wall mods IMHO you owe it to yourself to take a peek at it. Its rather good. It wont be your day to day "goto" mission but when you try it if you are not a little bit impressed, ill eat my hat.

Excellent stuff.

Rgds

LoK

Im not one to gush, especially about "sci fi/fantasy" mods. In fact im one of the old grumblers who want everything like good ole Arma 2.

!!! I am often an old grumbler as well, e.g. when it comes to that Life scene. But usually I play milsim. It's a matter of perspective. From the perpective 0f a few ArmA 2 grumblers I am an Altis life kid, because I like ArmA 3.

My thought process was something like this.

Helis? Ok. Usual fare. The weather? Dark and gloomy. Nice. The lightning? Well, seen that before. Scavenging? Nice touch. The meteor strikes? Damn impressive! The whirlwind? OMG! After that its all exclamation marks terror and giggling.

Haha, same thought progression here!

Simple ideas are often the best.

Edited by tortuosit

Thank you guys! In fact I am also from the "old grumblers" crowd ;).

When it comes to modding and scripting though, I like to experiment and break arma!

Awesome. How about some kind of loadout saving?

Also "undefined variable" error sometimes, here is log

Many thanks for the rpt log, IHUNTERI. Yeah, we ran into this once or twice during our playtesting, but it was so intermittent that we were unable to replicate the issue properly. Good news is that I know exactly where this is occuring - it's the empty vehicles spawn/caching script - so hopefully we'll be able to track it down soon. Also, for the record, I too consider myself one of the "old grumblers" (although I prefer "miltard" or "milsperg" personally :D), but we thought since this mod was for the contest it was the perfect time to fool around and try something a little different. My future mod plans are a lot more "hardcore", BTW, but not before ArmAGeddon (possibly) gets a lot more crazy in the not to distant future. :SpiningDemon: In any case, great to hear that our fellow "grumblers" are also enjoying the mission!

Getting a key error when attempting to connect to my server.

Armageddon.pbo are not signed by a key accepted by this server, does anyone know how to fix?

Thank you

It is our internal version number. You can keep the v 1.0 number. Sorry for the mess.

Thank you for changing this in such short notice!

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

There is a server up in order to test the mission:

IP:62.210.206.92

port:2322

or type armageddon in the filter

both servers that show up when i type this IP are stuck on creating...maybe they need a restart?

@DivineHoliness: I never use this, but I think you need to put the key in a "keys" folder at the root of your arma 3 server directory. Did you fo it?

@thec1aw: the server was launched only for a few days. It is now use for internal tests or other missions. If there are not enough servers running the mission, I will maybe invest in a new dedicated.

You can try this one also: 96.36.132.218:2302

(someone on the steam workshop is hosting the mission on this server)