Undeceived

How to prevent this ugly death animation? (Intro/Outro section)

(edited the topic name to reflect newer state of knowledge.)

Does anyone know where this ugly animation comes from and how to prevent it?? I scripted the death of this unit in a cutscene.

Video (ugly animation)

In other situations the "normal" (ragdoll) animation is played, but not here. And I have no idea what makes it come.

Could you be more specific on how you scripted the unit's death? As in provide us the code you used to accomolish that.

I don't think that is as bad as the raised static gunner animation. It's playing way to fast.

Could you be more specific on how you scripted the unit's death? As in provide us the code you used to accomolish that.

Yes sir. :)

unit setdammage 1;

Yes sir.

No need to sir me....

But yeah, the setDamage code is the "quick" way of killing a unit, have you looked through the animations viewer to see if there may be another "cleaner" way of doing it, then play that animation, then set the unit to full damage?

Or use: playActionNow

With the one of the action defined on this page.

i.e.

unit playActionNow "Die";//<<Yes that is an actual action...easiest naming convention I've seen yet :D

Edited by JShock

AFAIK there are no death anims in Arma 3 because BIS thought that ragdoll would be the answer to every problem.

I tried

• the setDamage command
  • changing the location
  • createvehicl'ing a explosion at the unit

... nothing different.

Then I open a new mission, try the same and the proper ragdoll anim is played... Hmm. :confused:

EDIT:

Saw your edit, JShock. The interesting is that this playActionNow "Die" plays exactly that ugly death animation. So if anyone wants it, now we know a way to have it. :D :D

Thanks for your suggestions and help btw!

Edited by Undeceived

Since it's a cutscene you could look into unit capture, I haven't personally used it, but if the guy that goes down is supposed to get shot by a sniper or something of the sorts, you could do a unit capture of when the sniper shoots him that way it's a more proper ragdoll death, than instant.

Well, it's a nasty bug, I would say. It only occours in the intro and outro sections of the mission.

Here's a small sample mission. Load it in the editor and launch the intro, outro and the actual mission section. In the mission the unit should ragdoll to death, in the intro/outro it plays the ugly animation.

https://www.mediafire.com/?w0oa1o5dq438yiy

But how can that be?! I mean: Is it a bug introduced in the latest version or does no one else have deaths in their intros and outros? :D I mean - I never have heard of this problem.

Way i see it is, its not a bug, but a state.

It would mean that the unit is alive in one moment, dead in the next, so its not actually a death as in dieing like getting shot or what have you,

this setdamage 1; or unit setdamage 1; is like an on off switch so again the soldier isn't actually dieing thats why you see him go down so quick,

for what your trying to do for a cutscene as you already have figured out set damage command wouldn't be the right command to use.

If you were to come onto a battlefield where there was combat and you see dead bodies then set damage could work as it puts the units in a

dead state, although ideally ragdoll effects would look better imo.

Just my thoughts.

Günter, I tested it again and it doesn't matter if I script him dead, let him be shot by an AI oder let rain bombs on him. The "ugly" anim will always be there in the intro / outro section, and will not be there in the mission section.

Any more ideas?

Maybe spawn a high caliber bullet directed at his head? Spawn a bulllet 1 meter from unit at head height. Set direction of bullet to point at unit. Setvelocity on bullet to a high velocity. You better fix this before the MANW deadline man! :) Are you sleeping at all this week?

Edit: Didn't see your last post about not working when AI shoots him. So spawing a bullet won't work either.

How about using a boat PASSENGER death animation. They have standing boat passenger animations that slump down when dead. Might look better. If they don't fall all the way to ground, then put an object next to unit (like a barrel or stack of cinder blocks) for them to slump/slide down on

Edited by JohnnyBoy

Sorry to dig up this old thread again, I just wanted to communicate that a good workaround is possible with A2C. There are some of the Arma 2 dead anims available that do the trick.

I've noticed this too, but I always thought it was just some shoddy scripting. But it's definitely a bug - no ragdoll in intro phase:

• Like 2