smiley nick

[WIP] The Isles Of Scilly - Geo-specific UK Terrain

Fun fact: The Isles of Scilly were the theatre of arguably the longest war in human history, a 335 years long war between the Royal British government then based in the Isles of Scilly and the Dutch Republic! (kinda)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Hundred_and_Thirty_Five_Years'_War

Yay The Netherlands!! LoL

Hi all,

Its been a while since my last update. Truth be told, I've been slammed at work but time is opening up again - what with Christmas round the corner. I'm hoping to get some time out and work on the terrain further, but I do have a few images to keep you all interested!

St.Mary

So the mammoth challenge of creating UK houses, objects has started and I've put together a little scene that will depict whats to come. Naturally, making custom models and working on the terrain takes a huge amount of time and its going to be a while before I have everything populated as how I want it. 

You can find below a few assets that have enough progress to show in game, although lots of things are missing (mainly LODs, normal maps).

Cottages

cottages.jpg

highres

cottages2.jpg

highres

St.Mary's Church (taken in Unity)

StMaryChurch_low.jpg

highres

Old Windmill

oldthing.jpg

highres

Docks

docks.jpg

highres

bushestest.jpg

highres

Tresco

I just spent today messing around with making some dunes/sand parts. Still work to do, but so far so good I think!

beacharea.jpg

highres

As you can see, some things are in better state than others. Thank you for everyone's support and keeping me motivated.

The islands were in the news a few weeks ago, as a part of the Falcon Rocket from Space X washed up to shore! More details below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34941386 

• Like 9

Glad to see you back smiley nick, the screenshots leave one salivating.......best of luck with the rest of your project.

That is absolutely amazing work... I cannot wait to play on it! Will be following this map.

cottages.jpg

highres

bushestest.jpg

highres

Tresco

I just spent today messing around with making some dunes/sand parts. Still work to do, but so far so good I think!

beacharea.jpg

highres

So good Nick! The street with the cottages especially takes me back to the time I visited. It was a long time ago, but I flew in by helicopter and must have arrived at Tresco.

Hi everyone,

For those still interested, I'm still here!

I've got a bit of a writers block and am seeking your input in what best to do. I don't want to be melodramatic, but taking on such a large solo project can at times be discouraging - given that there's so much to do. Recently I've felt like I've been making very little progress, and I'd be keen to hear if you'd like me to release the terrain in its current state..

The advantage is that I might be able to get energised again -hearing all your feedback & suggestions, or even areas you think I should focus on. The downside is that I've spent over one year on this and I don't think it's representive of that- meaning you all might be very disappointed and underwhelmed....

Thanks for everyone's supportive and constructive comments so far, I really would have stopped a long time ago if you all weren't so supportive!

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 1

Tricky, feedback might be a boost but if you feel it might be a bit underwhelming it could also undermine your enthusiasm. All the screenshots you've shown look great but if it's only 10% populated (and the rest is bare sat-map) people probably aren't going to do a whole lot with it.

Have you investigated all of the latest productivity tools? I'm not a mapper but I believe X-Cam and/or MapBuilder are hugely helpful. Might be just the thing to speed things up and revive your interest.

Or take a break and do something else for a while. You can always release it unfinished later (and include source files if you reach the point where you know you won't complete).

From the screenies it looks absolutely beautiful, and the custom buildings really finish it. I'm not sure where the problem is so i can't really say much about that, except for that I hope that you give us another release soon, finished or unfinished! Don't let a project like this take over your life and take the time, the public will understand if something big like this lasts a while. Good luck!

Honestly this is one of the most wanted maps for me beside Taunus, Orshanets and Dijala Iraq ...so don"t give up :)

Slow progress is still progress! I wonder if we could enlist help from some other mappers? It's a huge task to create the unique feel of the British Isles.

As somebody mentioned it's difficult to make suggestions because I could compile a list and make you feel ever more overwhelmed as I suggest things like animated badgers or whatever (you don't need an animated badger).

You mentioned you were working on hedgerows? I like your mixed plant arrangements.

From what I played on St.Agnes, hedgerows, enterable houses, beach dunes would all have been desirable in some form or another.

I was not at all underwhelmed by what you described as the "embarrasingly old" version on Armaholic. Just playing on a British Isles terrain (especially overcast) gives any mission I create on it that feeling I'm searching for.

Show us!  :D

• Like 1

Definitely. I've worked on various projects over the years and working alone is probably the most soul-destroying exercise out there. Sure you have complete artistic licence but its all too easy to miss the woods from the trees. So show us what you've got, share your concerns and I'm sure we'll find a solution. In the meantime, kick-back and take a break. I've often found that returning to piece of work re-focuses the mind and offers a different perspective.

Oh, I didn't realise there'd already been a preview released. I think then you should absolutely update it and keep iterating publicly.

• Like 1

St.Mary's Church (taken in Unity)

StMaryChurch_low.jpg

highres

bellman1260_2689_1304678464_640.jpg

I think your works exceeds your own opinion of it. This is all but perfect and that's not only better than most, but most mappers don't even go in for the custom content.

1009368_tcm9-135502.jpg?width=768&height

Ancient%20hedgerow%20Briston%20(S%20%20P

Hedgerow.jpg

I've been looking at headgerows. I'd suggest keep using Arma content to approximate this. I can't imagine how time-consuming modeling the trimmed varieties would be. 

wow, this looks fantastic. keep up the good work! :)

The church looks amazing! I've only been ot the islands once, and that was to see my 2 freinds who live there get married in that exact church!