smiley nick

[WIP] The Isles Of Scilly - Geo-specific UK Terrain

Great news! One question though: Will they be enterable? :rolleyes:

100% yes. Its going to take longer but absolutely necessary - so all buildings will be enterable.:yay:

Edited by Smiley Nick

Hi all,

A few new screenshots and a video of me spending some R&D time in the woods. I wanted to try and get something detailed without compromising performance or AI. I'm running vanilla A3 with no mods and happy with the results so far. I am still planning on adding a few small extra clutter objects - such a flowers and more rocks.

These area is called "Abbey Woods" and backs onto a large estate with gardens and a large mansion house. There is also two lakes that surround the woods - which i will be tackling next.

1_low.jpg

Highres

2_low.jpg

Highres

3_low.jpg

Highres

4_low.jpg

Highres

5_low.jpg

Highres

Game-play video in forest - bloody hard to spot the AI.

During testing, I found a hilarious image after one of the AI got killed and slipped through a gap!

6_low.jpg

Highres

Edited by Smiley Nick
  • Like 1

During testing, I found a hilarious image after one of the AI got killed and slipped through a gap!

Welp, he was warned. :|

horseplay_means_death__by_tryzon-d4uhpzn.png

Looks Great ! I will work as soon as possible, on a new Island in France in Brittany, i hope it will looks as good as yours !

With your 2 meters cell, Don't you have massive drop of FPS , when you are in vehicles, due to the PIP ( video settings) ???

I had to back to 5 cell/meter or higher, to avoid such effect ( or deactivate PIP)

Good luck to finish your work !

Xnam

Looks Great ! I will work as soon as possible, on a new Island in France in Brittany, i hope it will looks as good as yours !

With your 2 meters cell, Don't you have massive drop of FPS , when you are in vehicles, due to the PIP ( video settings) ???

I had to back to 5 cell/meter or higher, to avoid such effect ( or deactivate PIP)

Good luck to finish your work !

Xnam

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I've recently come back from Holiday (in Cornwall!) and have been doing a lot of behind the scenes development. I would love to see your island and best of luck with it! I had issues with 1m and 2m cell and reverted to 3m - as it offered a good blend of defilade and performance (although I believe the recommend value is 3-5m). I have not come into any issues with PIP, but I will check again!

I've been working with a friend and custom building development is now underway! The houses you saw in the St.Agnes terrain will be improved (as they were very basic proxy models) and I'm now moving onto hero assets and houses with accompanying interiors. I'm not sure how long its going to take, as I still have to continue with the rest of the surface painting, clutter and overall terrain development, but its coming along.

St.Mary's Airport Terminal

Real life version

So here is a taster of whats to come. Its a copy of the newly created terminal and offers players the chance to enter and explore the terminal and ATC tower. It will have an in-game map on the wall, highlighting interesting locations/Easter eggs once I have finished everything.

terminal1_low.jpg

Highres

terminal2_low.jpg

Highres

terminal3_low.jpg

Highres

I'll post an update once I have finished the Airport area.

Cheers!

Edited by Smiley Nick
  • Like 3

Great work, thanks.

My unit used this map for an entire campaign set on the Falkland Islands!

There are quite a few similarities between the two and we had great fun, particularly when we mined the beaches and blew up the radar towers, raided a grass airstrip on the NW island etc.

The only thing that limited us ever so slightly was the very shallow -2m depth of water around the islands, we did use SDVs and managed with the keep periscope depth to sail them underwater at -1m so it was workable.

We even had the USS Nimitz moored offshore as a base.

Your maps look and work very well, your efforts are much appreciated.

Hi all,

I had a fairly productive weekend. Still a LOT to do, but success is being made small steps at a time.

I spent this weekend bringing in the terminal and worked on locking down a base layer of clutter/general look & feel of the airport area. The general surfaces are a mixture of cut grass and wild grass/heather near the coast line. It's not perfect but it does I feel give a good mix of rugged/civilized area. I will revisit this again, adding further objects detail and I'll most likely tweak the clutter more.

As part of this process, I am also removing artifacts from the satellite image (such as buildings, cars from road etc. ) The whole workflow of removing, these details, painting the surface masks, defining clutter characters, adding objects and testing/packing (repeat 100 times) is a slow process. If you are at all interested, you can view a cut away image of the airport mask - giving you a glimpse of  what's involved. I actually hand paint everything  - one pixel at a time! There are quicker ways to do this (magic want tool, mass painting), but I really want to capture the detail as much as possible.

In addition to that, I have also been experimenting with surface types, as my terrain is divided up into 512x512 image tiles. With some careful management and a good Photoshop template, I am able to have up to 6 unique textures/clutter variations on each 512x512 tile - meaning more diversity and detail!

The terminal is now in, but its far from finished, I still need to work on the glass (as I'm sure you can see) and add in the additional UV's/RVMAT and damage/animations.

Anyway, on to some still very early WIP images. 

Grass

Grass_low.jpg

HighRes

End of Airport

airportEnd_low.jpg

Highres

Cliff Edges

Rough_low.jpg

HighRes

Terminal

Terminal_low.jpg

HighRes

• Like 3

Screenshots are simply stunning....It looks so tranquil and picturesque that it would be wrong to shed blood on this island.....but i can't wait to do so!!

Thank you for your kind words everyone. Progress has been slow this month but I do have two extra buildings finished and I am currently experimenting with hedges.

A proper update will come shortly.

Will there be an small airfield or landingstrip on the island?

You betcha! There is a large'ish airport on St.Mary's and a small heliport on the island of Tresco. St.Mary is pretty small, so I may need to look at extending it to fit a larger aircraft range in the game, and Tresco will only serve small aircraft/choppers.

I really can't wait, love the British feel to it. Can't play it without setting the weather to overcast/rainy though, it breaks the immersion ;)