smiley nick

[WIP] The Isles Of Scilly - Geo-specific UK Terrain

Are the download links broken?

It seems they are! Not sure why. I will check when I get home. Its probably better to hold out until my next update, as there are many changes/fixes.

Really liking this map. It has a unique character to it. I imagine you'd assign names to the map locations?

Wow! This looks really interesting! Almost reminds me of Saragao but more of a european rolling hills "fit". Nice job! Really unique and different from other maps. Seems like a great map for a Arma 3 life/Island life/Altis Life gamemode on it.

Hi everyone,

I'm still working away (when I can) and I'm wrapping up the last issues/areas. Depending on everyone's thoughts, I may actually port over the whole (single) island into the larger Isle of Scilly group. I am worried that its still too small to be of any use and only works well as part of a larger island chain.

Would you rather see this and have a unfinished/WIP island chain, with a finished St.Agnes? Or keep her standalone?

Tiny Tiny updates.

Been working on clutter, happy with the results now.

clutter_new_low.jpg

Highres

Not so much an update, just a nice pic!

patrol_low.jpg

Highres

Looks excellent, keep up the good work :)

Thank you very much.

Marvellous map Nick thx

Thank you very much.

Really liking this map. It has a unique character to it. I imagine you'd assign names to the map locations?

100% yes. I'm done with these now.

Wow! This looks really interesting! Almost reminds me of Saragao but more of a european rolling hills "fit". Nice job! Really unique and different from other maps. Seems like a great map for a Arma 3 life/Island life/Altis Life gamemode on it.

Saragao was my favorite OFP map! A "life" style map could be fun and will keep this in mind when designing the rest of the islands.

Edited by Smiley Nick

Would you rather see this and have a unfinished/WIP island chain, with a finished St.Agnes? Or keep her standalone?

Detailed St.Agnes with unfinished island chain (which can be fleshed out over time) is the better option. Smaller (detailed) A-O is often fine as long as you have space/terrain around it to enter/exit from/to.

Latest shots look fantastic.

The small island is awesome. Flesh out what you have. I am actually working to get my dynamic mission to work and be enjoyable on an island as small as this.

Go for the unfinished island chain.( some unfinished islands surrounding the detailed one)

I would rather have the other islands too, as long as they are at least covered in a nice looking grass layer its good enough, maybe throw in a few rocks.

But seriously, as long as they have some nice grass on there so it doesnt look like really blocky 3d terrain crap, then they will be quite usable for missions. (i would be very excited :) )

Detailed St.Agnes with unfinished island chain (which can be fleshed out over time) is the better option. Smaller (detailed) A-O is often fine as long as you have space/terrain around it to enter/exit from/to.

I do have the Arma2 frigate off-shore for mission starts but I do agree. An runway or secondary land mass is always useful.

The small island is awesome. Flesh out what you have. I am actually working to get my dynamic mission to work and be enjoyable on an island as small as this.

Great, cant wait to try it!

Go for the unfinished island chain.( some unfinished islands surrounding the detailed one)

I would rather have the other islands too, as long as they are at least covered in a nice looking grass layer its good enough, maybe throw in a few rocks.

But seriously, as long as they have some nice grass on there so it doesnt look like really blocky 3d terrain crap, then they will be quite usable for missions. (i would be very excited :) )

Consider it done!

16_low.jpg

High res

Hi all,

Nothing too exciting, but I thought I would upload a very early version of the Isles of Scilly Archipelago. You won't be able to do much on it, other that fly around a bit - and maybe try to land at the airport. What this should give you is a nice idea of whats coming.

I need to export over standalone St.Agnes to the main group (In progress) and work on the clutter/surface mask. There is still a long way to go, but at least its something to play around in while you wait. My next imminent update will be a tidied up version of this - fixing the clutter, sat mask and lowering the sea bed on the outside areas - along with a complete St.Agnes. I will then just work on her as much as I can.

I would be keen to hear feedback on any performance related issues, and general thoughts overall - e.g: is it worth doing? I'm hoping to improve the satellite texture, as the quality is lower than I would like - I just need to wrestle with Terrain Builder.

Download

WeTransfer

My Site

Cheers,

Nick.

+1 in everything Defunkt said.

+1 too.

- - -

I'm really fan of your project :)

Testing view distance performance (12,000m) with 3m cell detail. So far so good, but may drop it back to 4m just to be safe.

Chinook_Patrol_low.jpg

Highres

Thanks for the kind comments all. I am working on the sea at the moment, updates later today.

Edit

The Isles of Scilly has a very low water level (25 meters or so) and The Scillonian is the only passenger ship from the main land capable of navigating through these waters due to its flat bottom design.

I have been testing all the Arma3 community ships and have modified the topography of the ocean floor to support most current and future ships. I have a feeling that ships might be used quite extensively for missions, so its important to have good game-play in the oceans too! The islands do have variations of depth, meaning that there is a level of planning required to pilot through these waters - or you could find yourself stuck!

Nothing very exciting, but here's an example of the height differences and "channels" that are open for the larger vessels. The light blue areas will feature a detailed selection of coral and rocks for scuba diving.

ship_lanes_low.jpg

Highres

- please ignore sat image. Still needs editing and removal of objects.

Edited by Smiley Nick

Hi all,

I hit a rather important milestone today. I managed to successfully integrate St.Agnes into the rest of the archipelago. It means I can now work off a single version, and push updates per island or section. I'm hoping to do this a lot and get vital feedback as I go - allowing you to follow the journey and be part of the development.

I'm still holding off an alpha release until I tidy up a few more things. In the mean time, I've been working on making the most of the underwater features that Arma3 presents and hoping to accurately place real life locations of ship wrecks and caves that are littered around the coastline.

underwater_low.jpg

highres

Edited by Smiley Nick

Looking great :yay:
Awesome stuff, Nick!

Thanks both. I want to add a lot more - as this is going to be the only large'ish forest out of the whole 5 islands. My goal is to achieve something like this (Cryengine) but of course AI & Arma friendly. I will be experimenting with more clutter variations as well as attempting to make some low level shrubbery/green leaves to act as general coverage.

I have also partnered up with a friend (STG Gunner) who has taken on the task of creating more UK style objects - mainly custom houses for St.Mary (the large town) which should provide some really interesting house to house fighting scenarios.

Its taking a long time, but I really want to deliver something new and refreshing :¬)

More pics soon.

I have also partnered up with a friend (STG Gunner) who has taken on the task of creating more UK style objects - mainly custom houses for St.Mary (the large town) which should provide some really interesting house to house fighting scenarios.

Its taking a long time, but I really want to deliver something new and refreshing :¬)

More pics soon.

Great news! One question though: Will they be enterable? :rolleyes: