smiley nick

[WIP] The Isles Of Scilly - Geo-specific UK Terrain

I don't know if you are aware of it, or maybe it's on purpose, but there is a section of connected buildings on the beach near the concrete pipes and tall rocks. It's definitely out of place. You can crawl under it.

The island is small but looks good. I'm sure it will have a few good mission ideas.

thank youy.

Hi everyone.

Thankyou for all your kind words and amazing support. Most of the suggestions were already on my todo's- including that damn palm tree! Ive made good progress over the weekend and was able to work on the areas that everyone suggested, along with my own.

Heres two pics to tease. I worked on the bracken/heath/heather areas to get that sense of isolation. I will be releasing soon, I just need to add map names!

wideshot_s.jpg

Highres

heather_s.jpg

Highres

Edited by Smiley Nick

Nick that looks wonderful, god the first pic looks like a photo, ...simply godlike:notworthy:

I think those white radar domes in the map kind of break up the whole feel of it, maybe try using some water towers and some industrial stuff instead of those big white radar domes, I feel like they take away from the "custom" feeling of the map and give me Altis flashbacks :(

Also, there is some like,,, one of those research dome housing things,(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356750045) its surrounded by sugarcane so I actually think it looks pretty good, but what is it supposed to be? It sort of looks like some agribusiness thing, maybe if you took one of those big white warehouses, but the version missing walls and just sunk the floor into the earth, and filled the inside of the building with sugarcane plants it would look cool, and have like a pipe running through or something. (just a suggestion) (also I liked those little portable research buildings you put there, really made it feel like some shady agriculture facility i just walked in. (ps : place a rusty old guardtower there maybe?)

Some bugs:

Also, the scale on some buildings is off:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356747369

That building ^ is way too big.

You can clip through the phone booth,

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356747991

It appears to have no physics at all.

This building:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356748994

Is floating, its hard to see, but trust me it is :)

These sunflowers are fullbright/no shadows or anything ( at least, seems to be...):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356749247

On this "research dome" ... it appears to be clipped into another one or something???:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356749590

To me it looks like its clipping with another similar model here... not sure if its just the model or what.

Great job on the map, good to hear its being worked on. Awesome work!

Also ps: I think this island is really cool and will be hugely successful, you should do the full island chain like you said you considered :cool:

I

On this "research dome" ... it appears to be clipped into another one or something???:

To me it looks like its clipping with another similar model here... not sure if its just the model or what.

I've seen this on a map I'm working on. It happens when you put a dome_small down on the dome base. Though the dome base object doesn't display the dome part in Buldozer, it does display in game. So if you put the dome_small on the dome base, you get two domes superimposed and clipping into each other. The solution that worked for me was to delete the dome_small. Hope that helps!

Really nice work have enjoyed it immensely always nice to see uk based terrains.

Again great job on that map, I took some helis for a spin on it yesterday yet again.

If I may just drop a quick suggestion again, maybe try darkening those bush objects and actually maybe throwing in some more "detail" on them, but what I mean by that is adding more visible lines etc on their texture giving it some more contrasting parts with bits of diff looking leaves or something, maybe some vines etc because it looks quite solid and actually blends "too much" into the land.

nice work, looking forward for next time

Thankyou all for the fantastic feedback. I have fixed and changed many things since I last spoke and I'm very very close to a full public release.

I've been keeping an eye out for newly released addons - The MK10 Landing Craft Utitlity (LCU) serves a perfect role in amphibious landings. You can view the addon thread here.

Teaser of her in action. Rather fitting!

More updates soon!:yay:

P.S - I'll reply to everyones questions asap.

Edited by Smiley Nick

I like these island and my coop unit is doing some SAS missions right now,they may like to use this island.Just wanna ask,will there more buildings on the island in the full public release?

To be honest,we think there are too few buildings on it right now.:)

Does "full" public release mean that those other islands are in there, or are we just looking at a polished version of the current area?

Hate to be one of those guys...lol but any chance of making the surround waters deeper? no matter how far out you go, players can just get underwater for a submersive approach.

I like these island and my coop unit is doing some SAS missions right now,they may like to use this island.Just wanna ask,will there more buildings on the island in the full public release?

To be honest,we think there are too few buildings on it right now.:)

That's a very good question and the short answer is yes. The real life location does only have a handful of houses but from a game-play perspective, mission makers need more areas to work with. The problem I have is finding suitable buildings that work well within the terrain. I am exploring some Arma2 objects that will consist of a standalone file - as I am not a fan of needing Gigabytes of dependencies.

Having said that, I would love to hear your thoughts on what locations might be cool for you as player/mission maker.

Does "full" public release mean that those other islands are in there, or are we just looking at a polished version of the current area?

Unfortunately not. I do have the Isle of Scilly in game but not to a point where its of any use. I need to spend time on surface mask generation, clutter configuration and object placement. St.Agnes does help me prove the concept and allows me to get the look/feel locked down, before I move on. Its also a question of time!

Hate to be one of those guys...lol but any chance of making the surround waters deeper? no matter how far out you go, players can just get underwater for a subversive approach.

I certainly can. The real life location does have shallow waters but I can drop the level down a little further if you are having issues with submersibles and ships. I was able to use the default Arma3 submarines ok but maybe you are using an addon?

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Again great job on that map, I took some helis for a spin on it yesterday yet again.

If I may just drop a quick suggestion again, maybe try darkening those bush objects and actually maybe throwing in some more "detail" on them, but what I mean by that is adding more visible lines etc on their texture giving it some more contrasting parts with bits of diff looking leaves or something, maybe some vines etc because it looks quite solid and actually blends "too much" into the land.

nice work, looking forward for next time

I'm a novice addon builder/o2 guy and I did experiment with the super shader RVMAT as I fully agree, the textures are flat and horrible. For the moment I have now replaced the hedges with Arma3 bushes but will revisit the hedges once I have time.

Nick that looks wonderful, god the first pic looks like a photo, ...simply godlike:notworthy:

Credit goes to the nice resolution sat mask :) But thank you very much!

Wooow :eek:

Outstanding work, I can feel the British atmosphere. :)

That makes me very happy, thank you!

I think those white radar domes in the map kind of break up the whole feel of it, maybe try using some water towers and some industrial stuff instead of those big white radar domes, I feel like they take away from the "custom" feeling of the map and give me Altis flashbacks :(

Also, there is some like,,, one of those research dome housing things,(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356750045) its surrounded by sugarcane so I actually think it looks pretty good, but what is it supposed to be? It sort of looks like some agribusiness thing, maybe if you took one of those big white warehouses, but the version missing walls and just sunk the floor into the earth, and filled the inside of the building with sugarcane plants it would look cool, and have like a pipe running through or something. (just a suggestion) (also I liked those little portable research buildings you put there, really made it feel like some shady agriculture facility i just walked in. (ps : place a rusty old guardtower there maybe?)

Some bugs:

Also, the scale on some buildings is off:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356747369

That building ^ is way too big.

You can clip through the phone booth,

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356747991

It appears to have no physics at all.

This building:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356748994

Is floating, its hard to see, but trust me it is :)

These sunflowers are fullbright/no shadows or anything ( at least, seems to be...):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356749247

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356749590

Great job on the map, good to hear its being worked on. Awesome work!

Also ps: I think this island is really cool and will be hugely successful, you should do the full island chain like you said you considered :cool:

Thank you for such thorough feedback. For me, this kind of stuff is super useful so thank you very much. I have addressed all of these points now and the radar domes have now been removed!

would be cool if you could sign your island with your next version.

For my public release (As this was an early early build) I will.

Smiley, good job!!!

Do you plan on releasing your assets for other terrains?

Of course, map makers can use the objects as they wish. I would even be open to working with other teams to either improve or expand on what I already have.

I've seen this on a map I'm working on. It happens when you put a dome_small down on the dome base. Though the dome base object doesn't display the dome part in Buldozer, it does display in game. So if you put the dome_small on the dome base, you get two domes superimposed and clipping into each other. The solution that worked for me was to delete the dome_small. Hope that helps!

Yep, it was formed of two parts and I miss-alinged the two. I have now removed this area altogether.

Nice job Smiley, a great looking little island.

Thank you :)

Glad to hear my feedback could be od use, this is by far one of my favorite maps.

Per your question about what locations would be cool for missions, how about some docks or something, maybe try making an oil rig in shallow water (you can use the OA one, and its a good thing that can be used for a mission objective),

Some dilaptdated warehouses overgrown with plants or maybe some broken down buildings that are half flooded (like in the shallow water "off shore" could be pretty cool for gameplay, you could have a whole flooded town or something, or even have fully submerged buildings that could lend to the diving aspect of the game (which allows you to utilize the water even with limited land space). Maybe some industrial stuff (also good for mission objectives), fisheries (theres a boathouse you could import from the arma 2 content).

Ill look up the island and see if i can dig up any more ideas.

Edit:

it doesnt look like it has much irl, but it seems to do something with boats so

Maybe some sort of shipping dock or something (they tend to be pretty cool for SF missions, doing stealth between containers and stuff)

Also it seems to have some type of flowers on alot the island, you should try and see if u can import the arma 1 and arma 2 acr flowers or something and use those)

(And on the topic of depdencies, you should be able to pack this stuff in your addon, like the author of bornholm did)

Edited by MikeTim

I'm not very familiar with the island in real life(if it is in real life:)),but I have an idea,maybe you can make this island as some kind of nursing base or villa lsland?As for its size think would be better to become some private area with some bonzer civilian bulidings.Just a suggestion:)

You are right sir, the water is deep enough...not sure why I thought it wasn't.

Thanks for your great work!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've spent today exporting over some of the A2 objects. I am now working on the details, adding gameplay areas to bring it up to acceptable standards. Nothing exciting to show, just two pictures below. I've got to be careful, as I don't want to sacrifice the look and feel of a UK theme by just placing loads of random objects. Lets see how things go!

Fields_low.jpg

Highres

Farm_low.jpg

Highres

I've spent today exporting over some of the A2 objects. I am now working on the details, adding gameplay areas and bring it up to acceptable standards.

Lovely pics :)

Hi all,

So I've finally found some time to focus on the key areas of the terrain. One of the main areas of the island is its small port - serving as only way to travel to and from the island. There's a iconic pub called the Turks Head, and I have tried to replicate this as close as possible - without sacrificing game play. There still a bit of work to do but I am hopeful I can apply these sorts of details to the rest of the island and her locations. Feedback always welcome!

Turk_1_low.jpg

Highres

Turk_2_low.jpg

Highres

Turk_3_low.jpg

Highres

Turk_4_low.jpg

Highres

Turk_5_low.jpg

Highres

Turk_6_low.jpg

Highres