Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Addon cars

I back what everyone says that your cars look FANTASTIC but the handling and some minor other things, as has been talked about above, are the let down but what i see needed to be added is new sounds for each car, need to hear the roar of the engine then the blow off valve as we change gears biggrin.gif. Once again, keep up the great work dude!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mehanic @ Sep. 20 2002,08:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i havent found anyone who wants to make cpp, if anyone wants to make then please email me valdek46@hotmail.com. thx<span id='postcolor'>

That's a real shame. Regarding the handling though, I don't think there's anything that can be done to stop cars turning slowly at high speed - it's a restrictive part of the game engine. Same with the sliding I think. OFP was not designed to be a car simulator. The main factors which I would like to see changed are the acceleration and top speeds of each car. Acceleration is apparently impossible to change, but top speed is EASY to alter as it has its own line in the config file. Would you consider releasing new cpp files for your cars with a proper max speeds Mehanic?

Why is that Mehanic? I understand that OFP cars have a maximum speed limit that cannot be exceeded. Is this what is stopping you from creating proper speeds?

I did some calculations on distances in OFP, and found that 2.9 map squares on Nogova are equal to a 1/4 mile. So, I set up a flag on the Nogova runway at 1/4 mile, and raced all of the vehicles. Most of them were waaaaaayyyy too fast.

On the scale:

10.5 seconds

All Ferraris - pretty realistic

Aston Martin Vanquish -also realistic

BMW Z3 - Way off, should be about 14 seconds

Jaguar XJ-220 - Realistic, but really ought to be around 11-12 seconds

11 Seconds

BMW M3 - Should be about 13 seconds

BMW M5 - Realistic

60's Camaro and Mustang - Should be 15-16 seconds

Dodge Challenger - I'd say it's realistic because this car probably has a hemi or something under the hood.

Lincoln LS & Boss Hogg - Should be around 16-17 seconds

Mazda 6 - Should be around 15 seconds

Mehanic's SUV's (Jeep, Tahoe, etc.) - Way, way off, should be around 19-20 seconds.

13 Seconds

OFP Cars - These regular old cars run the same time that a brand new Camaro or Mustang runs. That's fast!

15 Seconds

The Bus - This is one fast bus, most buses would have 1/4 mile times in the mid to high twenties.

5t Trucks - Also very fast, should be in the twenties.

We've got some fast cars in this game!!!

You know it is easier to calculate metric smile.gif

Each square in ofp is 1280 m x 1280 m.

The velocity scale in ofp is measured in km/h.

I used the sub-squares that you see when you zoom in (the ones with double letter, double number coordinates. I found that each of those is approximately 140m, then converted that to imperial and calculated the 1/4 mile distance. I don't know about the rest of the world, but in America most drag races are 1/4 mile. smile.gif

That's interesting billytran. It makes me curious as to why the different vehicles have different performances when Mehanic has said that all his cars have the same acceleration and the same top speed. If what he said is true then they should all do 1/4 mile in the same time period. Can you shed any light on this Mehanic?

Just a side note, billytran are you sure the XJ220 is slower than a Ferrari 360/355 or a Vanquish? I'm not up on the exact specs but I'm pretty sure an XJ220 would outperform any of the cars in your list by at least a small margin. Just wondering anyway.

They are 128 m in with, not 140 smile.gif

From Avons FAQ:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Each minor grid box (Ea, Eb, Ec, etc.) is 128 x 128 meters, both in the in-game and mission editor maps and in the map PDF files.

Each major grid box (A, B, C, D, etc.) consists of 10 minor grids square, making a major grid's size 1.28 x 1.28 kilometers.

<span id='postcolor'>

One question - did you start at the flag or did you already have maximum speed when passing it?

I got the 140m distance by ordering one of my men to move one grid box ahead. If it's 128m per square than that would mean 3.2 squares equal a quarter mile, which would definitely make the times more accurate. The way I measure is I line the front of the car up with the start flag. Then I hold down the acceleration key until the car crosses the finish. My times are probably a little skewed because I'm just using the ingame watch... but some of Mehanic's cars are definitely faster than others.

Munger, you're probably right about the XJ-220. I had it mistaken for another model. My guess is that it would be on par with the Ferraris.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Sep. 20 2002,11wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When are we gonna get some more motorcycles, and a van!<span id='postcolor'>

We need a step van in particular <!--emo&smile.gif

i-1.JPG

i-2.JPG

i-4.JPG

Mehanic thats some nice texturing, too smile.gif

--------------------------------------

Billytran, consider doing some tests on the dirt next to the runway, the sports cars that mehanic is making all go extremly fast compared to the Skoda in OFP, the Skoda is a speedy little beast on concrete, but a slow little bugger in the dirt.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (blackdog~ @ Sep. 21 2002,04:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Billytran, consider doing some tests on the dirt next to the runway, the sports cars that mehanic is making all go extremly fast compared to the Skoda in OFP, the Skoda is a speedy little beast on concrete, but a slow little bugger in the dirt.<span id='postcolor'>

I've noticed that too - there must be a part of the config file that specifies a vehicle is crap off-road like the Skoda is. I think Mehanic's cars must not have this part 'activated' (so to speak) so they drive just as well on the dirt as they do on a road.

When you make a new island for OFP, this is where CFGSurfaces comes in handy.

As an example, here are some different classes of the types of terrain:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class Roadway

{

access=2;

files="silnice*";

rough=0.005000;

dust=0.010000;

soundEnviron="road";<span id='postcolor'>

or

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class Grass: Default

{

access=2;

files="tn?confused.gif??";

rough=0.110000;

dust=0.100000;

soundEnviron="normalExt";<span id='postcolor'>

Which has no purpose unless the author of the addon adds support into it. Here is how the Skoda is configed:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> };

class RapidY: Rapid

{

vehicleClass="Car";

scope=2;

model="rapid_y";

};<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class SkodaHelper: Car

{

scope=0;

picture="iskoda";

maxSpeed=125;

side=3;

nameSound="car";

displayName="$STR_DN_SKODA";

accuracy=0.500000;

armor=20;

cost=2000;

fuelCapacity=50;

transportSoldier=3;

transportAmmo=0;

terrainCoef=10.000000; <----- I THINK THIS IS WHAT CONTROLS THE GROUND SPEED ON DIFFERENT TYPES OF TERRAIN?

soundEngine[]={"Vehicles\car",0.017783,1.800000};

weapons[]={"SportCarHorn"};

magazines[]={};

driverAction="ManActSkodaDriver";

cargoAction[]={"ManActSkodaCoDriver","ManActSkodaCoDriverBack"};

cargoIsCoDriver[]={1,0};

typicalCargo[]={};

class IndicatorSpeed

{

selection="ukaz_rychlo";

axis="osa_rychlo";

angle=254;

min=0;

max="180 / 3.6";

};

class IndicatorRPM

{

selection="ukaz_rpm";

axis="osa_rpm";

angle=-255;

min=0;

max=1;

};

};<span id='postcolor'>

I vaguely marked the code the i think controls the speed on different types of terrain, named

TerrainCoef=10.00000000

I dont know how to make addons or anything, so could someone clarify this for me?