Sign in to follow this  
chrisb

Space Engineers

I looked through and couldn't find a thread for Space Engineers.

So I thought I would put one up.

I have been playing this for a while now and its a great game. Just today via subcriber email they announced they had sold 1 million SE games and its still in early access. That is some going for just one year, for an indie title. Keen the devs have done a really good job with this. Updates have been every Thursday on the dot, whilst they get the content in there. Now most of the content is in they are going to concentrate more on optimizing the game, so updates may be a few weeks inbetween now.

I find it runs with very high fps and general performance, for me, is very good indeed. However that said, many, as with A3, have been having trouble perfomance wise, so those players will be happy they are to shift their attention to this matter.

Well worth picking up, if space games are a thing you like. The community is growing and there are a huge amount of mods available for the game (Steam WS). So if space is your thing, it is mine at the moment, why not give it a try.

Youtube channel:

Steam

:)

I like what they are doing and have purchased it quite a while ago, but the survival mode to me isn't really a survival mode. I mean, the only thing you can die off is lack of oxygen/ energy which can be easily found. And that's about it. There's no goal, no NPC's that interact with you or try to hunt you, or anything else that can lead to your demise.

I hope that they improve the singleplayer a bit... and the performance.

I like what they are doing and have purchased it quite a while ago, but the survival mode to me isn't really a survival mode. I mean, the only thing you can die off is lack of oxygen/ energy which can be easily found. And that's about it. There's no goal, no NPC's that interact with you or try to hunt you, or anything else that can lead to your demise.

I hope that they improve the singleplayer a bit... and the performance.

I agree with what you say. I think the devs need to step up and decide exactly which way they want it to go. It has sold huge amounts so they have a waiting audience, especially on the mp faction making, empire building side.

But we can only wait and see. They have done great things with it and the weekly updates (on the dot every Thursday), are a credit to them. They have paused at the mo for some optimisation tweaks, which some players are really wanting badly. It runs great for me, silly high frame rates, but its just one of those games I guess, some players are on 10fps, ouch...

Its going to xbox next year, so it may change direction a little, not sure.

So quick update. Keen the devs for Space Engineers have just introduced infinite space (well almost). 150,000,000,000km of space to explore. PG asteroids (huge numbers, plus fields), floating/abandoned ships' stations, platforms etc to explore and use/mine. Build an empire or just a settlement. True sandbox with endless possibilities it seems. They are working on AI at the moment, plus the MP community moving ahead with the new content, should prove a little more interesting now. Planets may come with landings later (fingers crossed).

Also player made content is getting added as part of the game, (submit designs, get them in-game). Not simply mods, but actually in-game too.

I know few here bother with SE, however, if your into sandbox type games and you want one in the space genre, its well worth a buy. That, plus it gives far greater playability than ED or SC/AC at the moment and probably will remain that way if they keep to this route. Still early access, but lots planned. 64bit too which is great for my system, uses what I have nicely.

If game-play is what your after and graphics take a back seat, then SE is well worth a look.;)

Just a thought, combine Arena Commander with Euro Truck Sim 2 and you have ED.:rolleyes:

So quick update. Keen the devs for Space Engineers have just introduced infinite space (well almost). 150,000,000,000km of space to explore. PG asteroids (huge numbers, plus fields), floating/abandoned ships' stations, platforms etc to explore and use/mine. Build an empire or just a settlement. True sandbox with endless possibilities it seems. They are working on AI at the moment, plus the MP community moving ahead with the new content, should prove a little more interesting now. Planets may come with landings later (fingers crossed).

Also player made content is getting added as part of the game, (submit designs, get them in-game). Not simply mods, but actually in-game too.

I know few here bother with SE, however, if your into sandbox type games and you want one in the space genre, its well worth a buy. That, plus it gives far greater playability than ED or SC/AC at the moment and probably will remain that way if they keep to this route. Still early access, but lots planned. 64bit too which is great for my system, uses what I have nicely.

If game-play is what your after and graphics take a back seat, then SE is well worth a look.;)

Just a thought, combine Arena Commander with Euro Truck Sim 2 and you have ED.:rolleyes:

Well worth the price I paid for it then!

Anyone here know any good mod packs? Am especially looking for decorative custom blocks.

Anyone here know any good mod packs? Am especially looking for decorative custom blocks.

There are many great custom blocks, interior mods etc listed in the Steam workshop. Plus the recent update auto sorts, although not perfect, but helps in the mod menu.

However, one thing to be careful of at the moment, some mods have been broken by updates. At present there are some really nice features in way of foundation building for the game, which is great but can be a problem for the newer infinity worlds. Where losing a ship because of faulty or broken mods can be a little annoying.

What I have been doing of late, is building ships, platforms and so on, using just the stock game blocks, equipment etc, leaving ships, quarters, rooms etc ready to customise/furnish later. Then once the game finishes this change over into infinity worlds and settles down a little. Then I’ll go back and change/customise/furnish then. Hopefully with mods I believe won’t break, or be pulled by the maker. Which those are, I can’t say, because some mods have been pulled because of the changes. Some ships I built, load in bits, because of this, so that's why I have taken this route for now.

I would play safe, build whatever you want, with the ships, platforms, quarters, interiors and so on ready, but customise or furnish later, when safe to do so. Its not hard to change blocks and interiors later, so its no big deal really.:)

They're going to be adding oxygen, planets, pressurised ship internals, etc. I think where Space Engineers is concerned, the prospect of Empyrion on the horizon has injected more thought towards having planets, atmosphere for playing the game without a suit on all the time. That's a good thing.

When they bring in their secret AI project, it should hopefully give us workable AI for both SE & ME, I'm looking forward to that too. So its all good on the SE front, looks like a bumper year for the game, plenty to look forward too. :)