Sign in to follow this  
turin turambar

BI should rework the AI behavior orders

Historically, allied AI in Arma games had problems to follow you, the leader of the squad. They always had been slower. And it isn't like it happens if your sprint away or only in complex scenarios (like a city in the middle of a firefight), just jogging in a straight line for 300 meters towards your objective without having any combat and they wouldn't be able to follow your pace, having then to wait for them.

But now in Arma 3, it seems even worse! The AI once it enters in alert mode (even if there isn't combat because I gave a no-fire order or I just saw a enemy through binocs or UAV) it will use most of the time the combat stance (C key), which is of course much slower. And then it will be stuck on said stance forever and you the player can't do anything about it. Even after someone says What options do you have?

-Alert mode: no change

-Combat mode: the same but the AI will use cover, look around, go prone, etc. Even slower

-Safe mode: the AI will walk in a "leisure pace", which is as slow.

So you can change between the options offered to your heart's content and you won't get anything at all.

Can we have a fix pls?

I am facing exactly the same issue, any idea?

you have to somewhat underrstand what the AI is thinking. The AI, once alerted to an enemy presence, will take an extremely long time to come out of combat mode if the enemy (and his entire group) isn't killed. There are 4 settings which have different behaviors.

1) Careless: in this mode, AI won't react to anything. Good for pilots if you want to simulate a hot-drop (although, that's not recommended...ever...)

2) Safe: essentially this is patrol mode. AI will react to enemy presence but won't immediately react to fire unless hit.

3) Aware: AI will look more for enemies and guard sectors. This is essentially "approaching AO mode, ready for contact".

4) Combat: AI will immediately return fire on enemies and attempt to move from cover to cover.

There are a few options to you problem. 1: set it do a harder difficulty. Changing from regular/recruit to veteran/elite should require you to have to press a button in order for your player character to spot someone (even if they're detected). You can also edit the difficulties manually to achieve the same effect. 2: download an AI mod or script to see if that helps. This is probably not quite the best solution as most of these are combat-focused. 3: create your own mod/script that turns of auto-spot on player characters.

The reason the AI are slow is because they have to deal with stamina just like you. The AI attempts to make a perfect formation, which means for like the AT guys will require them to sprint here and there to keep the formation proper. Basically, if you have AT, ammo carrier, or anybody else lugging heavy equipment. You need to slow your pace down for them to keep up with you, this goes for being players as well.

The second issue you are having is simply how the AI thinks. Unlike players who can make good guesses on were the enemy might be in say a town, the AI doesn't know anything tell they spot, or some one in the squads spot the enemy. Combat mode is more of a defensive aware mode then a offensive one, AI will still engage targets in Aware mode and still keep a normal pace, it is when they receive fire that they go into combat mode. This can be something more direct like the enemy actually shooting at you, or something indirect like a grenade, or motor round nearby. Also determining rather they are free to engage or not is important as well, if your say retreating, ordering your men to disengage will cause them to stop firing and focuses more on moving back.

The reason the AI are slow is because they have to deal with stamina just like you.

They walk a bit slower when tired... like the player. Given that I can lose them even when I'm tired and with a heavy machinegun in my hands, that isn't the real issue. The real issue is their abuse of combat stance when it isn't needed. It's more a cqb movement, so unless they know they are enemies in a 75mts radius, it shouldn't be used.