Sign in to follow this  
starstreams

SITREP - SPOTREP question

I don't understand how this works. When I go into the game after it was updated, it says v1.32 SITREP#00087. (In Game)

But when I go to properties in the steam client's web pages and view the full change log, the latest update is SPOTREP#00035. If I click on v1.32 on the web page hosted by steam, it brings me to SPOTREP#00032, even though 00078 is displayed, in game.

Was the Steam change log page not updated? Or I'm I not understanding how the updates work?

What is the difference between SPOTREP and SITREP ...by the way? :868:

I know I should know this, I'm still new to the stream system.

Thank you

Edited by starstreams

Thanks for the link Bullet Purveyor. I didn't realize they were news updates. Ii thought they were more like version numbers pertaining to updates to the actual code.

But I still don't' know why when I load the game it says SITREP#00087, when SPOTREP#00035 is the latest. When stream updated my game today, 00035 was already listed on the site. So why is that later older (00087) Rep number being displayed in the game?

Edited by starstreams

Both reports are valid and current in their respective context. I could be wrong but sometimes it seems as though the in game menu 'news area' alternates between the two randomly.

sitrep: situation report. A periodic report of the current military situation. in the game, regular blog entries with information about what's going on.

spotrep: Sport report: Use to send information to provide timely intelligence or status regarding events that could have an immediate and significant effect on current planning and operations In the game, used for game update information.

But I still don't' know why when I load the game it says SITREP#00087, when SPOTREP#00035 is the latest. When stream updated my game today, 00035 was already listed on the site. So why is that later older (00087) Rep number being displayed in the game?
What becario said: a SPOTREP is a game patch changelog (there's a separate changelog on these forums for dev branch), a SITREP is a usually-weekly broad overview of the state of the game and what the developers have in the works.

By the way, a TECHREP is the changelog (and sometimes also a SITREP equivalent) for the Arma 3 Tools and the included samples, and an OPREP is a focused overview on a specific aspect of the game's post-launch development, i.e. audio, weapon inertia, firing from vehicles, sling-loading, weapon sway/fatigue, the Advanced Flight Model, etc.

Very simple:

SITREPs (weekly reports),

SPOTREPs (changelogs),

TECHREPs (Arma 3 Tools),

OPREPs (focused development reports).

Very simple:

SPOTREPs (changelogs),

TECHREPs (Arma 3 Tools),

I get what their descriptions mean. Either way, Thank you, and to everyone else who responded. When I first made this post I didn't know what they meant, but I read the page and totally understood it. However, in my second question-message, what I was asking was what ACyprus sort of confirmed below in RED.

Both reports are valid and current in their respective context. I could be wrong but sometimes it seems as though the in game menu 'news area' alternates between the two randomly.

That's what didn't make sense to me. Why SPOTREP#00035 was listed in the steam change log pages while the game was showing 00078 after the update.

Note: Two or three of you are saying different things for the same answer, please look back at your posts.

@Chortles. You said, "What becario said: a SPOTREP is a game patch changelog"

What becario said: a SPOTREP is a game patch changelog (there's a separate changelog on these forums for dev branch), a SITREP is a usually-weekly broad overview of the state of the game and what the developers have in the works.

becario didn't say that, he said:

sitrep: situation report. A periodic report of the current military situation. in the game, regular blog entries with information about what's going on.

spotrep: Sport report: Use to send information to provide timely intelligence or status regarding events that could have an immediate and significant effect on current planning and operations In the game, used for game update information.

So that still begs the question: If a SPOTREPs = a changelog as Brisse mentioned, (and is different then what becario said) that doesn't answer the question as to why the game (after the update) displays SITREP#00087 when SPOTREP#00035 was posted on the steam log pages as the latest.

becario, I think you meant to say a Spotrep is an update to the game-code as explained here:

http://dev.arma3.com/spotrep

However, again, if Spotrep#00035 is the change to the game code, why is "that version" not being displayed in the game after the game was patched?

00035 was the latest displayed on the steam pages before I updated my game via steam. There must be a disconnect between the devs and the steam site.

Edited by starstreams

So you mean why in-game Intel is showing SITREP #00078 and not SPOTREP #00035? The answer might be because SPOTREP #00035 is only a quick hotfix. SPOTREP #00034 is the bigger changelog that was posted before the SITREP #00078 and the SITREP is about the bigger patch. Some people might think quickly that only thing that the 1,2GB update did was a "hotfix" for campaign saves :D

SITREP is a report that can talk about all the other REPs.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Very simple:

SPOTREPs (changelogs),

TECHREPs (Arma 3 Tools),

...we should be so lucky that Bohemia understood how to make things this simple to understand...in fact they should dump the "sitrep/spotrep" childish crap and just use weekly reports/changelogs like everyone else since it's industry standard language that's understood by all gamers. The way it is now you'd swear they LIKE to confuse people. What i often wonder about them is if they seriously just don't get it or are they really just sadistic?