egilsandfeld

Bornholm, Denmark [Terrain]

Could we please get an alternative version without the high grass? The map is littered with high grass and the AI sees right through it. It is kind of game breaking. It sucks not being able to do missions on like 80% of the map because there's high grass nearby that might get players killed unfairly in a rather buggy manner.

The map looks truly amazing... but, you know... gameplay.

Could we please get an alternative version without the high grass? The map is littered with high grass and the AI sees right through it. It is kind of game breaking. It sucks not being able to do missions on like 80% of the map because there's high grass nearby that might get players killed unfairly in a rather buggy manner.

The map looks truly amazing... but, you know... gameplay.

I use this in my missions and also on Bornholm

TAW View Distance Script

You can adjust or disable grass too

AI do not see through the golden wheat fields... Tested that pretty thoroughly.

They may be able to see through the taller Green Wheat fields - not sure.

Grass itself is very long though I agree, and that gives no cover.

Technically I suppose someone could write a config to overwrite that with shorter grass - I'm no expert there.

Pretty sure Egil made it clear he's never going to touch the map again - which is a shame, as there is lots of tweaks that could be done to improve it/tidy it etc. Maybe he will one day donate it to someone who will support it ?

It's not that. Go try the map. There is custom tall grass and wheat fields. The AI sees through them.

I know the map I played my own mission with my clan 2 days ago, and I know about the wheat filed and I can tell you to build your mission away from those fields.. as I did ;)

Edited by DuM3D0

AI do not see through the golden wheat fields... Tested that pretty thoroughly.

They may be able to see through the taller Green Wheat fields - not sure.

Grass itself is very long though I agree, and that gives no cover.

Technically I suppose someone could write a config to overwrite that with shorter grass - I'm no expert there.

Pretty sure Egil made it clear he's never going to touch the map again - which is a shame, as there is lots of tweaks that could be done to improve it/tidy it etc. Maybe he will one day donate it to someone who will support it ?

I'm specifically talking about the very long grass/wheat, including the golden one you mention. Go find a flat wheat field (double check it's flat and that there are no bumps that might block the line of sight), then spawn 1 prone AI on 1 side, spawn another prone AI on the other side and watch how they shoot each other. They can see through the entire thing.

We did that exact test, but we used players. Two of us engaged enemy one side of a field and they *surprise* shot back we took evasive cover and crawled away. I could zeus out and watch them aiming at where we used to be but not where we were. I actually then crawled around behind them and set mines down, before engaging and killing them with rifle fire. (subsequently I blew myself up with my own booby Traps, hence why I remember the situation so thoroughly!)

Yeah, I did similar tests and they didn't see people who were prone.

But as far as I know, the AI handles grass in such a way that it's not an obstacle to its vision per se, it just decreases the change of spotting the target if the target is below "grass level". This means that while it won't detect prone targets, it can spot units that are standing up even if the AI itself is prone in the field, since it doesn't see any obstacles in the way. Quality paint presentation.

Maybe not all the fields are bugged then. Regardless, a whole bunch of them are. At least, every single one I tested was bugged. Probably checked like 1/3 of all the fields, so didn't check all of them.

To clarify, I tested it with both AI outside of the field.

We also had a few games where players hiding behind a field were taking accurate fire from an AI behind the field on the other side. Checked it with MCC/Zeus to be sure.

Edited by BlackAlpha

Ah, there are 2 layers of different low grass? Thats because it looks so wired when you drive with a car around. The brighter grass appears later then the darker grass. when you lay down it looks nice but not while moving :-/ wouldnt it be better performance wise to use only 1 sort of grass?

I found the 2 military "bases", thx to DuM3D0 and Magirot. Both needs some work i think, some structure, a goal what every building, exit, area have to do. I have someone that builds everytime our military areas, perhaps he might help you with this? He were in the army and knows a bit about that stuff.

Try ares + Zeus. I can dynamically spawn some pretty neat FOBs or bases for players to attack.

Different everytime

Sj

I'll look into the issues with the wheat fields. They should occlude the view by view geometry, but maybe I haven't set it up properly yet. Basically in the LOD of View Geometry I should make a box containing the dimensions of the wheat model it self, right?

I will also try to:

- lower the height of the wild grass clutter area

- remove another few thousand trees to optimize performance

- smooth the North

- Remove buildings from Almegaard Kaserne to make room for Zeus placed objects

- Look into LODs switching on grass

I will work on this for the next few days. Anything else missing or which needs to be updated?

The Island in the North could need some love probably, since it´s interesting for parachute missions. The island feels like it is just cluttered with buildings while the real counterpart looks completely different. Would be nice if you would look into it. I really appreciate your work though.

Tree's are mostly ok, its cool to have real feel forst. So if you delete trees, do it where players could need some more space (around the kaserne perhaps) and around the airfield?

You could do some work on the streets, some have some hard corners and elevation changes. will it help you if i make screenshots from them? ;)

some work to the citys perhaps? some houses stand so alone, only some bushes and a street. Not good looking for investors.

On this pic you see perhaps what i mean with sharp elevation changes.

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/ozha3hk_4.png

Edited by Numrollen

Maybe set the Hitbox of trees higher then 2,5m? (no idea at wich height it actualy is, but its definitly way to low =/)

Driving around with any vehicle, higher then 2m (especialy Trucks/4x4), is extremly risky.

Still: Good Job.

The fences around the military complex/area look too weak secured. They need barbed wire, perhaps twice the hole stuff.

Bornholm For Arma 3

Version 1.3 is inbound!

It's should be up on Armaholics shortly :)

4BsSQjzl.png

http://i.imgur.com/4BsSQjz.png

WbYeg26l.png

http://i.imgur.com/WbYeg26.png

7T4pJghl.png

http://i.imgur.com/7T4pJgh.png

- Changelog Version 1.3

- Optimized island (removed another 5000 trees, and made openings in forests)

- Lowered height of clutter in wild grass areas. Now it should be just possible to lie in the grass and aim.

- Added 8-10 new hills in the North and 3 new hills in the South East for game play optimization

- Corrected roads to align to satellite texture

- Brightened satellite texture so it looks more summer and more realistic

- Removed bunch of buildings in Almegaard Kaserne to make room for custom FOBs inside the walls

- Smoothened the Northern part. It's still rocky and a rough terrain but roads should be more smooth now

- Made wheat fields occluding to AI. They can still shoot at you and track you mostly by last visible position along will your sound emissions

- Fixed other building positions etc.

Support me in my work

Like Bornholm? Please donate what ever you like to me. I'll appreciate it no matter the amount :) Thanks a lot in advance.

PPDonate.gif

hmm.. don^t know how much work it is ... but as a little suggestion, you could rework some of the beaches... imho they are a litte bit steep compared to other islands. but maybe its only my taste, don^t know.

..... Anything else missing or which needs to be updated?
hmm.. don^t know how much work it is ... but as a little suggestion, you could rework some of the beaches... imho they are a litte bit steep compared to other islands. but maybe its only my taste, don^t know.

You're bit late to the party...

Thanks for publishing the newest version on Armaholic :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks for the update :). Is v1.3 compatible with current ALiVE version or do we have to wait till ALiVE indexes the new version and releases an update?