egilsandfeld

Bornholm, Denmark [Terrain]

i think this is a map engine problem, most of the new maps has got this problem that the light and coloured is not so intense like on altis or stratis,but shelestov with his ukraine map http://imgur.com/a/Pq4Rp has not this problem it looks so much better with his light settings, i dont no why EgilSandfeld not use this settings, and please come not with the argument, its to north locatedFPDR

It's not a map engine problem. The Stratis/Altis lighting is the default lighting, people change it for a reason.

Snipezz, that horizontal bar has something with CBA and A3MP to do, I think. Maybe remove A3MP or updating it to newest version could solve it?

I have made the official trailer for Bornholm, Denmark. What do you think? :)

I have made the official trailer for Bornholm, Denmark. What do you think? :)

Nice, but you show too much combat and not enough of the island beauty!

@EgilSandfeld any chance of adding that little bit of extra sea so gameplay isn't negatively influenced by the lack of it?

@EgilSandfeld any chance of adding that little bit of extra sea so gameplay isn't negatively influenced by the lack of it?

Sorry no. I think there's plenty of sea already. If you're doing sea battles, there are other very good terrains for that as well :)

I'm not sure how people find this map enjoyable yet. It looks beautiful and the layout is really cool. But it's broken as far as actual gameplay. The grass is too dense and gives me giant FPS drops because of it (much worse than Altis). And the grass covers AI at a distance so the AI doesn't render, but the AI can still see me. Once again, this very rarely occurs on Altis, it is constant here. The crop fields or 6-7 foot tall grass fields are very unplayable, as AI can see RIGHT THROUGH THEM.

I hope I do not come off as mad at you, rather, I'm annoyed that rather than acknowledge huge issues with the map and give constructive criticism, people treat this unplayable map as perfect. It is WIP though, so I understand, but these things stil lhave to be pointed out.

Edited by FrankDaTank1218

Sorry no. I think there's plenty of sea already. If you're doing sea battles, there are other very good terrains for that as well :)

Thank you for your answer. (finally)

Too bad that it will be like this forever. It kind of breaks gameplay because you can't go around the island without going out of bounds.

I'm not sure how people find this map enjoyable yet. It looks beautiful and the layout is really cool. But it's broken as far as actual gameplay. The grass is too dense and gives me giant FPS drops because of it (much worse than Altis). And the grass covers AI at a distance so the AI doesn't render, but the AI can still see me. Once again, this very rarely occurs on Altis, it is constant here. The crop fields or 6-7 foot tall grass fields are very unplayable, as AI can see RIGHT THROUGH THEM.

I hope I do not come off as mad at you, rather, I'm annoyed that rather than acknowledge huge issues with the map and give constructive criticism, people treat this unplayable map as perfect. It is WIP though, so I understand, but these things stil lhave to be pointed out.

It's not WIP. It's finished. But I get your point about the grass. Luckily there's 50% of the island covered with grass that is low enough for you :) That grass can be found mostly on the SW half of the island. FPS drop I don't see really. BUt yes it's heavier on the PC, as Bornholm is more lush than Altis.

It's not WIP. It's finished. But I get your point about the grass. Luckily there's 50% of the island covered with grass that is low enough for you :) That grass can be found mostly on the SW half of the island. FPS drop I don't see really. BUt yes it's heavier on the PC, as Bornholm is more lush than Altis.

I've tested it out, first off, the performance was fixed by me defragmenting the mod folder (I'm okay with slightly worse than Altis performance because it is denser, but it was WAAY worse, luckily the cause wasn't really the mod's fault, but the fragmented install PlayWithSix made). And the normal grass, even the higher one, is tolerable. However, the only thing I strongly suggest you fix is the crop fields as the AI sees through them. On top of that, the crop areas aren't clearly marked on the map so developing missions that avoid them is difficult. I recommend you either remove them, or find a way to make the AI unable to see right through them. Seriously just try to have a firefight in those crop fields and tell me the AI doesn't have X ray vision in them.

Seriously though, it is a pretty map with a great layout and city fighting in it is great, along with open tank battles (superior to Altis in this area), just fix that issue and open infantry battles will be good too. I was very critical and probably too harsh but I hope you know I think this is a great project and I up-voted it on MakeArmaNotWar.

We tested the Jurassic Arma - Raptor Pack on Bornholm and they are made for each other

Lot of fun..

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

Ace, how does the island feel for you danskies? :D Hey why are always russians the evil.. take BWMod and free it from the germans. Hmm, oh, they are also the obvious evil ;)

I'm surprised by the loads of forest... From what I know from Denmark in the part north of Germany, there should be a lot of grassland, maybe Bornholm is different... However, I love the map.

**This is for all who only see bugs and not the great map it is*

The map is the best I've seen in arma, yes there are mistakes and bugs but there are also a lot of bugs in arma 3 standard and it's made by people who make money on it ..This map is made by a young man with great talent and he gets no money for the work he has do.**

"and why are russians evil"? they are probably no more evil than all the other enemies you can play against in Arma..

"Denmark in the part north of Germany" Yes Denmark is north of Germany but is not part of germany..

I love this map too

Edited by Ace the brewer

First: I really love your map! Why? Because its reminds me summer and Finland. I haven't play much in those big city's yet but i really like small villages its like country side in here <3. Best part is forest man, cant be more happy playing in there. Lots of trees and bushes I am like kid again. When adding mod RHS:Escalation and RK62 = finnish rifle, whit Finnish forces its like Arma 2 again whit Finnish Defence Forces and thats best for me. I try make campaign to this island, where Russian forces attack and Nato (whit Finnish) try to take it back. At first i was making it in Everon but I am happy to make it in Bornholm, it is far better island, I mean it.

Sadly everything haven't work out as I plan it. When I copy paste my second mission (plane's vs plane's) to Bornholm it make's my fps drops under 30 and sometimes even 19. Seems to me that my 2600K@ 4.5ghz and GTX 780ti is not much. Its good if we play on the ground (fps 35-60). But flying is no go. Turning fast whit plane drops fps even without AI. Choppers i can use but not in middle of map where is that huge forest. If anybody have good idea to get my computer work whit plane's and flying I would be happy. But it is not that important, I can live without those. Far important would be to have new missions to Bornholm, i know people can make better missions than i am!

If we forget fps problem, cant figure out any other bad thing. Bornholm is working like it should and even better. I like terrain change so quick, you can't ever know if the enemy is few meters away lying on the ground waiting to get you. It really change the game. And thick forest change the game too, flanking is easy. Shooting running soldier is hard and I like it that way.

What i can say more whit my bad English skills: You have to love Bornholm! oh and BIG THANKS for sharing it! or like in here Finland: KIITOS!!!!!

No, KIITOS you! ;) Once there was a mod to auto switch view distances when going into a airplane, so one could have steady frame rates all the time. TAW or something. Maybe this can help you. It's because of all the trees in the forest, that your FPS drops. Try lowering the view distance or buy new hardware ;) See you in the forest :)

I saw that many people have already asked if an AiA version was something you'd be interested in. I'd like to show my support for the idea as well. We would absolutely love to have this map but we're not eager to load a ton of dependencies twice for a single map, no matter how great it is. And it is great which makes this a tough choice.

I overclock my ram 1600mhz to 1866mhz and lower timing 7-8-7-24 to 8-9-8-24 and i can get back in the air. Hope this helps you people to get flying over Bornholm!

Wow!!! Bornholm is simply amazing,so i want to say a big big big -thank you!- to the creator -EgilSandfeld- for his incredible of work.

(and for the people here complaining...mmh...naaah,really nothing to say)

I would like to say that I personally think this map is amazing. Bornholm is a beautiful dynamic map that continues to surprise me with new stuff I haven't seen yet. Also, I admire the makers creativity due to the way he took the time to actually design a number of locations on the map. However, there are a number of issues with it both minor and major. The minors can be ignored for now because he may eventually get around to eliminating them but the majors are both performance and terrain. I like the route Egil has been taking to make the map look more natural and dense but overall when we are dealing with a 32-bit application, only so much can be added. That said, I think he should go back and literally remove A TON (probably over 500) of useless/pointless objects around the map eating up resources. I like the denseness but when it comes to map performance, the 'extra' stuff has to go. I would be more than willing to work with Egil and show him what should go, stay, and what he could change in general. The second major issue is the terrain is still way too rough and not smoothed out. Drive around the docks in the cities and you will see what I am talking about. Many of the roads around the cliffs/hills are very jagged and can easily make you damage your vehicle.

Aside from those complaints, I have been loving this map!

Thanks for sending us the newest version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Armaholic link says "access denied" :confused:

We like to build up the tension ;)

Yes! Version 1.2 is here. As rjt2291 and other's needed was to optimize the performance of the island. Especially in the center in Almindingen forest there's was a drop in FPS. I'm pleased to say that at least on my system, it's now running more smooth with the 1.2 update :=) I hope you enjoy it!

v1.2

- Optimized the center forest (removed approx 30000 trees, making small openings in forest)

- Changed MaxSpeedCoef for terrain types of forest and grass underlay. This means civilian cars can now run off roads

- Realigned a few buildings

- Stars in the night shine brighter

- Moon shine brighter

- Swapped audio clips of birds in forests and meadows

Support me in my work

Like Bornholm? Please donate what ever you like to me. I'll appreciate it no matter the amount :) Thanks a lot in advance.

PPDonate.gif