Sign in to follow this  
XiviD

Convert wrp to "3D modeling software"-file?

Hello guys,

this is not a usual terrain/Visitor question, so i hope i am right in this section of the forums.

I would like to extract the height map of f.e. Altis or any other map to use it in a 3d modeling software.

I found some information that the relief information can be found in the .wrp file of a map. I do not know the filetype .wrp so i have no idea if that could be even possible.

So my next step was to find a file format which can be opened by most modeling softwares (In my case Cinema4D).

Do you guys have an idea if the .wrp is even the right one?

Is it possible to extract the height map or similar information out of the file and to convert it to a usable file type. (I know the Convert-WRP)

But i am not sure if that is the right tool to use.

Thanks in advance!

You can convert your heightmap to .obj (or other 3d formats) with a number of different tools: Leveller, L3DT, Terragen, etc. So your real problem is to get that heightfield out of TerrainBuilder.

-- Select Heightfield in TB

File --> Export --> Terrain --> (choose format asc or xyz, whatever your conversion program will accept)

then

Import that exported file into your terrain modeler of choice, export it as a 3d model. You should consider at this stage shrinking the filesize: Leveller for example permits the creation of a TIN (triangulated irregular network) that removes unneeded polys so your terrain model object has a much smaller file than if it reproduces every vertex even when the elevation doesn't change).

Edited by Six_Ten

You need to convert the WRP to a PEW using Mikero tools.

Once you have it converted and loaded into TerrainBuilder you can export the terrain as XYZ or ASC heightmap and use L3dt to export as a 3D Mesh

Wow! Thanks Six_Ten and MiauX! I will try that and report back.