Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

Squad (PR:BF2 Devs)

If it's anything like PR, a teamwork focus is pretty much guaranteed. But co-op? That's a stretch.

Sorry for poor wording, by 'higher focus on co-op' I meant 'higher focus on co-operation between teammates', as Insurgency is often played (and can easily be won) without communication between the team. As for AI support, well, that is and should be very low on the list of priorities.

Does it support modding ?

Is modding as easy and has as healthy of a community as arma ?

No to both so Arma is fine.

Indeed. ArmA is not only 'mil sim', it is also a template for players to make what they want to. And I think this aspect will be even more embraced in the future.

The game here reminds me on True Combat: Elite, a freeware total conversion of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which played like a bit more tactical Counter-Strike. It also came out before CoD4: Modern Warfare which made these type of shooters popular.

Edited by noob1

This will certainly be something I will keep an eye on. I've been playing Project Reality on and off since 2006 and it has given me one the most awesome and memorable gaming moments in life.

Those are very optimistic Goals i must say (800,000$ just for the Role customization??!)

they will probably reach the base goal at least ,but they will have to work really hard to make it somewhat working properly , better stuff (guys you got the PBR use it) and so on - it won't be easy

anyway i wish them good luck tho

I backed 35$, I really hope they can achieve something like a successor of PR. I hope it will not be all about infantry but much more.

They will make it for the KS then we will see if they will still improve their sell through steam once it gets greenlighted.

They already have the Humvee's done, according to BlueDrake, and a few other sources. Given it's the team behind PR, they do indeed plan on every aspect of combined arms, with a player focus. meaning no AI, all combat actions including logistics and more, is carried out by actual people, which is amazing. The sole fact that you can build an FOB live during a match, from scratch, is outstanding in itself. Being a main feature of PR, it looks, and functions smoother in Squad from what i've seen. Also, the Particle effects are amazing. Grenade explosions look like it should.

Too bad about the AI, I loved playing BF2 against AI even though they were incredibly... basic :). Will keep an eye on this.

Indeed. ArmA is not only 'mil sim', it is also a template for players to make what they want to. And I think this aspect will be even more embraced in the future.

The game here reminds me on True Combat: Elite, a freeware total conversion of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which played like a bit more tactical Counter-Strike. It also came out before CoD4: Modern Warfare which made these type of shooters popular.

I loved TCE, damn it was good. Still Squad will be much more like PR than TCE for few reasons:

- Combined arms

- Basebuilding

- Included 3d positional audio comms

- Infinite view distance 4sqkm maps (not as much as in ArmA, but like TacBF shows you don't need the whole map)

After the development hits some milestones on the way it should come up like BF2PR!

Some HMMW pics & KS update 3!

Also Project Reality 1.3 came out today and as standalone, no need for BF2 installation anymore :yay:

(sorry if we Squad fans spam two topics here @offtopic but there was instruction in the more recent one to turn here)

I backed but have been fairly undecided about how it was likely to turn out but I'm really digging this most recent video I ran across;

Gameplay and visuals are both looking pretty solid.

i still play Project Reality like 4 days a week. Great Community, and decent game for it being like 10 years old. But as far as Squad goes. i got the Ranger Founder Pack. Will be playing on Friday for Weekend Pre-Alpha Access! Seems to be mostly infantry based right now, but there is promised APC, Tanks, and Choppers and such so that will be wicked!

I am getting into Squad hats off to the Developers, it works well movement feels good weapons feel good and the game play is there, it is not ARMA it is it's own gene and is playing out nice. 

What I do like is you can jump straight in the action and be up and running in 5 knowing the score ready for combat servers are populated and the team work is good for complete strangers.

Watch and see 

It's supposedly coming out on Steam today.

I've to say that they have done some amazing work with it. 

The graphics are maybe lacky but the gameplay is quite interesting, I like it  :wub:

If Squad will prove itself being a better game than ArmA 3 , then i will probably buy it and if it will be possible even mod it

So far it looks very good , i wish them all the best :)

If Squad will prove itself being a better game than ArmA 3 , then i will probably buy it and if it will be possible even mod it

IMHO they are really different games. Arma 3 is really versatile and allows a lot of different experiences (SP, MP PVP, MP Coop, etc.).

Squad is mainly focused on one: tactical PVP. But man, it excels in it. 

Yeah, after 17 hours I think I can mostly agree with WAB. The basics are good, I had some realy epic sessions and the teamplay with random people is the best I ever saw in a videogame. Even loosing isn't that bad when you had some good actions in a squad which is working together. I haven't experienced much teamkilling yet, but no doubt this will always be a problem in a game of that kind. I died several times because I was struggling to shoot people I saw, I thought they were allies - turned out they were not. I try to check the map as much as possible now to avoid this.

So far the game is only worth 35 bucks for people which are realy interested in the game itself and directly want to support it. Because of the degree of media popularity and of the price I expected far more content. I don't understand why the game lacks of basic functions like joining friends, joining as a party or a filter in the server-browser. I know it's still EA but if a game is released on Steam it wouldn't hurt to have such features. In maybe 6 months, with more content, the price will be justified.

So, everything about this game is impressive, even given the fact it's a fairly fresh title. New maps and factions are already on the way. Graphics are top notch, you can see the shock wave from explosions, you can even end up extremely hurt from back blast if you fire with a wall directly behind you. Audio is constantly being worked on. This is probably one of the only games that does what it was designed to do, and it does it damned well. I doubt that a true Project Reality 2 will arrive now, as it seems... This is pretty much what Project Reality Standalone should be. Still waiting for the vehicles. Their models are awesome, and i can't wait to see massive glowing 30mm tracer shells flying, and more shock waves from explosions. 

Love the 5 seconds of that video where you actually can see something...