Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

Squad (PR:BF2 Devs)

Not sure why someone would like to see ArmA 'killed'. If you dislike the game/series, why even bother playing it or posting here? :p

More similar games are always good and this looks quite good, but I really don't see how it will 'kill' ArmA or why it even should 'kill' it. Sounds more like some anti-ArmA rhetoric to me... ;)

Edited by noob1

I wouldn't expect nearly as much realism with Squad if it's aiming to be a standalone PR. I'm sure it will have some pretty cool stuff going on but it won't be ArmA. I expect it to be more like Battlefield wit much more tactical, realistic gameplay, rather than an "ArmA killer."

This thread makes me think of when Killzone was going to be the "Halo killer".

This looks promising, but it's not going to kill ArmA in all likelihood unless they intend to build in ACE and ACRE style functionality, have a ton of massive maps and a huge arsenal of weapons and vehicles and then fix all the issues of ArmA (basically give us walking on vics and AI not being fucked at this point because that's all that's really left).

Oh my lord, i mention squad once and then i see this thread.

First off, no. Squad is a Tactical, NOT fast pased SQUAD Vs. SQUAD shooter, that in the future may integrate things such as Combined Arms. In no way, will this compete with Arma. Squad is basically, a cleaner, more stand alone, re envisioned-ish Project Reality, which was a tactical realism mod for Battlefield 2. Not a Huge and open Military Sandbox Experience. So please. Cut it, end it there. End of story. Arma isn't mil sim, neither is Squad (yet), and they are complete and utterly different things. Case closed.

IMHO poject reality for BF2 is boring, funniest is forgotten hope or EOD.

if the move to afghan plot, remains boring

if arma developers instead to waste time in another coop (end game) mission, develop a funny PVP gameplay.........

Here's what I've found so far:

In Squad's forums, majority of people say Squad is better, and Arma 3 is crap.

In Arma 3's forums, nothing so far. I posted this thread to find out :)

Let's put it this way -- you'll find that VBS3 has a bigger grip on Arma players' hearts* than Squad... ;) As you've probably heard a bunch by now, Squad is more tailored (some might say "optimized") for a narrower scope and different priorities, which unfortunately for il_padrino makes Squad incapable of "killing" Arma simply because Arma's demographic is too wide...

* Or rather, those who don't have VBS3. Those who do, on the other hand... have tended to end up admitting that Arma 3 is actually the better game.

On Battlefield forums, Battlefield is the best, on CoD forums, CoD is the best, on Insurgency forums, Insurgency is the best, on Red Orchestra forums, Red Orchestra is the best. Hopefully you see where I'm going with this.

Yep. Some obvious bias.

But here's something else:

Comments in Arma 3 trailers

- Lots of hate about engine optimisation, AI, sway etc.

- praise towards BIS devs

Comments in Squad trailers

- people looking forward to alpha

- praise towards devs

If I were a new player choosing between Arma 3 and Squad, I'd see that the Squad trailer has more promising comments. That makes me worry

Nearly choked on my dinner.. :p

The rest I've said in the correct thread for it, i.e. other games.:rolleyes:

Oh my lord, i mention squad once and then i see this thread.

First off, no. Squad is a Tactical, NOT fast pased SQUAD Vs. SQUAD shooter, that in the future may integrate things such as Combined Arms. In no way, will this compete with Arma. Squad is basically, a cleaner, more stand alone, re envisioned-ish Project Reality, which was a tactical realism mod for Battlefield 2. Not a Huge and open Military Sandbox Experience. So please. Cut it, end it there. End of story. Arma isn't mil sim, neither is Squad (yet), and they are complete and utterly different things. Case closed.

I agree. The biggest difference between them will likely be (as it always is when attempting to compare ArmA to other games) is the freedom ArmA gives you. ArmA can be whatever you want it to be. Squad will be, while probably a fun experience for a little bit, ultimately limited. So, please, no more discussion here.

IMHO poject reality for BF2 is boring, funniest is forgotten hope or EOD.

if the move to afghan plot, remains boring

if arma developers instead to waste time in another coop (end game) mission, develop a funny PVP gameplay.........

Comprehensibility is a virtue, just like patience. End game is team vs team, which is different from co-op. And from what I've heard, it's actually a lot of fun and very interesting to play. Finally, funny =/= good. All fun and no work makes jack a spoiled brat, thusly, funny things, such as Skate 3's gameplay are fun for awhile because they're terrible in a funny way. However, they're easy to put down and never touch again.

Not sure why someone would like to see ArmA 'killed'. If you dislike the game/series, why even bother playing it or posting here? :p

More similar games are always good and this looks quite good, but I really don't see how it will 'kill' ArmA or why it even should 'kill' it. Sounds more like some anti-ArmA rhetoric to me... ;)

Don't get me wrong, but I am all in for Arma 3. It's the only paid game in my Steam Libary.

The title "Arma 3 Killer" is just to catch people's attention.

In fact, Squad really makes me panic.

Will people choose Squad over Arma 3?

Will we stop seeing a flow of new players because of thier brand new, awsome looking PIP scopes which Arma 3 players have been dreaming off since Operation Flashpoint?

Will Arma 3's dream end of being the only military sandbox, to one of two, with Squad as an alternative?

GODDAMMIT PEOPLE!!

I need assurance here so I can stop rocking back and forth in my little corner!

If i earned one euro each time i read 'Arma is dead, look at this game', i would have won more money than Rhs. The funniest was Sunken Dragon.

I agree. The biggest difference between them will likely be (as it always is when attempting to compare ArmA to other games) is the freedom ArmA gives you. ArmA can be whatever you want it to be. Squad will be, while probably a fun experience for a little bit, ultimately limited. So, please, no more discussion here.

I dare not say limited. Squad will be the competitive version of a Realism Game. Take CS:GO, and remove the hell out of the Arcade style game play. Pretty much, squad at frst will be like that that, and then if they add vehicles, rumors of such, it could turn into Project Reality Stand alone. But anyhow, knowing the PR team, they don't let things get boring. New maps still come out for PR, even recently including real conflicts. All free.

Will people choose Squad over Arma 3?

Some will, some wont. If they want co-op they wont have much of a choice...

Will we stop seeing a flow of new players because of thier brand new, awsome looking PIP scopes which Arma 3 players have been dreaming off since Operation Flashpoint?

In some cases that might be seen as a blessing...

Will Arma 3's dream end of being the only military sandbox, to one of two, with Squad as an alternative?

No. If you count the previous games (some people still prefer ArmA2 over ArmA3), as well as D.U.S.T. and a few others I've heard of, its already at least 1 of 4, but who cares?

Only if the Squad devs go out of their way to explicitly make "sandbox with SP/co-op capability" a requirement/development priority and "refactor" the game accordingly... but then they'd be changing direction from what they're (currently) trying to be, which is its own peril.

- praise towards devs

And when squad is released it will be:

- Lots of hate about X,Y and Z

- praise towards Squad devs

Honestly, Youtube has the most polarised comments ever. It's not even worth reading them.

I expect I'll buy it and play it the same as a lot of other gun games. I'd say if anything it will be treading on the toes of Battlefield and games like Red Orchestra/Insurgency.

Why can't we have both? :) I'm waiting for how this will turn out but Arma always remains in my heart. Also you can't win a sandbox without a sandbox. You can only win in smaller areas.

Yep. Some obvious bias.

But here's something else:

- praise towards devs

If I were a new player choosing between Arma 3 and Squad, I'd see that the Squad trailer has more promising comments. That makes me worry

It's more worrying that you take a youtube comments section about a game no one has played as trustworthy.

But then, we live in a world where people are constantly releasing pre-alpha unfinished games, charging people for it with the promise that everything will be fixed, then not fixing it. People complain and rage. Then the same people go and throw money at a different set of pre-alpha kickstarter paetron "developers". Rinse; repeat.

Why can't we have both? :) I'm waiting for how this will turn out but Arma always remains in my heart. Also you can't win a sandbox without a sandbox. You can only win in smaller areas.

Reading the thread makes me wonder the same thing. I don't think anybody is even genuinely concerned whether Squad is going to "kill" arma or not, that is if it ever was a point. Its about choice, at least to me it is and I'd guess and say the majority of people don't have a single game installed on their computer anyway so its not like we either have to play one or the other. I have very limited number of games installed on my pc but I surely am looking forward to what Squad will have to offer but I can't think of single reason why would it make me forget or even uninstall arma and I'm sure I'll enjoy both for while to come.

It's more worrying that you take a youtube comments section about a game no one has played as trustworthy.

But then, we live in a world where people are constantly releasing pre-alpha unfinished games, charging people for it with the promise that everything will be fixed, then not fixing it. People complain and rage. Then the same people go and throw money at a different set of pre-alpha kickstarter paetron "developers". Rinse; repeat.

Reading youtube comments can be waste of time can be funny at times ;) As for throwing money at some "random" developers at a kickstarter,, well I think the PR devs have more than proven themselves over the years and it'd seem the community is well aware of it also, so I wouldn't say the PR devs will not deliver

Bee8190, it seemed that Zatoichi's remark was more about the "alleged user feedback" environment that game development takes place in nowadays, irrespective of actual dev reliability.

if they can make vehicles better than what we have in Arma 3, I'd be compelled to give Squad a try, otherwise I'll stick to what I know works. besides, there are games in Early Access that look more promising than Squad atm

Does it support modding ?

Is modding as easy and has as healthy of a community as arma ?

No to both so Arma is fine.

That being said Squad looks solid it looks like a decent tactical realism lite game that would reminds me of the older rainbow six games.

Does it support modding ?

Is modding as easy and has as healthy of a community as arma ?

No to both so Arma is fine.

I believe the developers stated that modding will be fully available at or after release.

Here's hoping it won't be a semi-arcade title like Insurgency and a much higher focus on co-op.

To me it looks like a mix of BF2, BHD and some ArmA... it could turn out to be fun but also as 'just another one'.

I believe the developers stated that modding will be fully available at or after release.

Here's hoping it won't be a semi-arcade title like Insurgency and a much higher focus on co-op.

If it's anything like PR, a teamwork focus is pretty much guaranteed. But co-op? That's a stretch.

BF2:PR is one of the most enjoyable combined operations tvt games I've played and pretty much made BF2 perfect for me. It just hits the right sweet spot between 'realism' and fun if other players aren't complete idiots. A bit more arcade isn't necessarily a bad thing for gameplay, but if you're expecting VBS3:PR, then you'll probably be disappointed.

EA really shot themselves in the foot ditching modding support for BF3/4, as people would just buy it for PR (if available). I look forward to seeing this title get developed.