Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Arma 3 Capabilities, TrueSKY, and more

Ok people, it's about time starting another thread, as I feel being the idea guy, to bring up and share some more... Ideas.

As the title suggests, Arma 3 and it's capabilities to show off a lot if goodies in it's new engine, backed by new tech, and features that far out match previous versions, and maybe even some games. Now as it stands, don't bring up VBS. why? Because the Dev's said so, and more importantly, because i created this thread specifically to keep away from that Topic, and fully focus on what Arma 3 can do without grabbing features for elsewhere, but using what is available to it's best.

First off, I think that ponds/lakes should be brought back, but refined, and done in a new way than Arma 2, though, idk too much about how that was done... But we needs ponds/lakes.

Anyhow, next, Simulweather, or more known as TrueSKY is available on Arma 3, and it provides for some cool new stuff every so often, so why not unleash the power of such a potential system to improve?

Next, it's a a military sandbox backed by the community and a wide range of up coming features, that Arma has never had until now. So why not use one creation to boost capabilities any further? For example, ropes? Why hold back other uses for this great asset when it can be effectively and legitimately put to use?

These are just a few things. I will update the post with valid proof of existing possibilities of certain tech when I can, currently I'm on mobile... So it's hard to do.

Let's hear you opinions people, let's make Arma!

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

CloudMountains1-300x201.png

TrueSKY low clouds that would be interesting to have in Arma 3's mountainous regions. I believe there's also a video showing off rain pour effect, that looks like clouds touching the ground but are actually heavy rain down drafts.

I'm worried that this will quickly turn into a wishlisting thread, but hell I'll bite:

First of all, I'd love to see the cloud lighting we had in early alpha/beta stages. It took someone posting a comparison picture a few weeks ago for me to notice and and ever since then I've noticed whenever I play.

Secondly, a better 'clambering' system than the V key's little hop. Context-sensitive climbing would be amazing. A little hop as it is now on open terrain, a full clamber animation over objects up to chest height, a prolonged 5-10 second animation for climbing over things above head height. A couple of modders had begun to develop more advanced moving systems, so it clearly is possible. Utilising rooftops, climbing over wrecked cars and barricades in a pinch, I could see a lot of scenarios where it would add a little something to a scenario.

Again the word context-sensitive comes up, in that I'd love for the 'default' action with space bar to make sense. I fart around so much at gates and doorways that it's quite unreal when every other game seems to have this sorted. Again, we've seen at least one mod that removes the action menu and reduces button-presses (I honestly can't remember its name, but I always fancied it) and I think its pretty much one of the pet peeves of the community.

A little better night vision. I don't know if this is just my civilian untrained eyes assuming it should be fancier, but the night vision always looks a bit lacklustre to me. Perhaps its the lights not giving off a PP 'glow' effect that you see in so many night vision clips?

Environment changes: Midrange textures and possible 'damp' effects. We've seen Nordkinchen's midrange texture mod and how great it looked, so it's clearly possible. Hell, he even offered to make the full mod with some support. Similarly, some 'wet' textures when its raining would be nice. Randomly placed puddle decals on the ground that make a noise as you pass over em, a shiny decal on roads and vehicles when wet. TPW mods currently has an animation for rain hitting windows. A few more 'ambient' birds and the like in the standard game world would be cool, too. We have the Zeus animation for seagulls flying away, I'd love to see things like that just occurring naturally. All would add to a more immersive environment!

Interesting with the birds and such. One quick thing though, let's keep this from being a wish list thread. So you also second the full use of TreSKY, as I believe that it does have lighting for clouds, and a bunch of other useful features dealing with environment that would look great in Arma 3. Graphical improvements to medium ranges textures, check. Better use of player interactions check. Arma 3 is capable of all of that, and it' also been brought up to introduce a tag team style interaction system of TKOH's icon iteraction and action menu for the more complicated things and would be nice to see in the future, if taken into consideration.