Sign in to follow this  
Baz

Helicopters DLC but no fast rope?

Don't worry guys, there have been plenty of fast-rope scripts before and now it's going to be even easier to make a decent one.

Hell, I even had a script for semi-realistic, simulated sling loading since ArmA1 (not the usual attachTo stuff) and even that worked pretty well (aside from the occasional rubber-banding which usually ended in total destruction ^^).

it would be really great, if non-devs could stop "explaining" to people how "hard" certain things are and what the logic behind those things not being in the game is..

I'm not "explaining" anything, I'm merely trying to point out that things aren't always necessarily "simple". Maybe I mis-represented my opinion somewhere or something that led to a misunderstanding. Applying the logic "they did it in that other game" is going to lead to another "but it's in VBS!" type discussion, and I'd love to keep a lid on that.

And I think those quotation marks hurt my feelings.

3:16 footage of roping in TKOH.

TKoH did not use Physx.

I feel like it may have to do with the fact that the "Man" class isn't affected by physx until death, and even then that's not permanent.

I find this kind of a bummer.

I'm not "explaining" anything, I'm merely trying to point out that things aren't always necessarily "simple".

what do you base that on? simple compared to what? does firing from vehicles look simple to you?

bottom line you're talking out your ass not less than anyone else. the questions about why systems that are possible on VERY similar games, as in iterations of the same engine, is totally valid. if you can't take it being discussed you can always move along.

TKoH did not use Physx.

exactly. the part above the unit does not even need to use physX. it can make things much less glitchy. physX does not make everything better. the physX part is mostly visual anyways.

you can already make a physX rope dangle from your ass while descending (however you do that, anim, setpos loop + attachto) now. which is pretty much the reason why people are wondering why this is not there as native implementation.

I feel like it may have to do with the fact that the "Man" class isn't affected by physx until death, and even then that's not permanent.

that is not entirely true i think. unless you define physX by having the fastroping unit dangle from the rope unconsciously using ragdoll. and why would you want that anyways? the base of the character reacts "physically". it just needs to be combined with a proper anim.

Well, these guys are having decent success.

Tweaking and testing is all it takes. They just need to find a way to fix AI getting squashed by other a I repelling down the ropes.

Perhaps a petition would be a good idea to get bohemia more aware that Fast Roping should be a vanilla feature that people would like. I doubt it would get us anywhere as I'm sure there has been countless polls and feedback tickets created around the subject but I guess it's always worth a try.

AGM with latest update since few days 22nd mybe i dont recal but they have update with fast rope, and it is pretty awesome. Still some buys but it is there :)

AGM with latest update since few days 22nd maybe i don't recall but they have update with fast rope, and it is pretty awesome. Still some buys but it is there :)

Do you think we can take the fast roping script, and refine it for use in every standard server without any mods? This is exactly what the community has been waiting for.

Its completely capable but you would need to seek permission from the AGM team member's first so you can change it etc. Also it uses a custom fastope animation so you would need to change it to a more acceptable vanilla animation.

I believe I've already said it in a PM somewhere, but just so everyone here knows: AGM is open-source, so you're free to hack on our take on fast-roping (for example to implement it mission-side), as long as you comply with the GPL, meaning that - among other things - your modifications must be open-source themselves.

The custom animation might be an issue, but you could probably make do with some vanilla one.

This is where you can find the source files:

https://github.com/KoffeinFlummi/AGM/tree/master/AGM_FastRoping

Edited by KoffeinFlummi

I believe I've already said it in a PM somewhere, but just so everyone here knows: AGM is open-source, so you're free to hack on our take on fast-roping (for example to implement it mission-side), as long as you comply with the GPL, meaning that - among other things - your modifications must be open-source themselves.

The custom animation might be an issue, but you could probably make do with some vanilla one.

This is where you can find the source files:

https://github.com/KoffeinFlummi/AGM/tree/master/AGM_FastRoping

Sweet. And for the animation, I heard somewhere that the static MG raised animation works good enough.

great! let us know when you have it ready!

are you gonna make a script version only or an addon version too?

addon version would be much better, to add fastrope from every vanilla helicopter by just enable the addon

The issue with addons over script, is that it has to be downloaded by everyone for use In a server. With a script, the server can run that script, and only the server needs it, and everyone has access to that function in game.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

Whoever decides though, either option would be great. Then, maybe BIS can create an animation for it, maybe take the one from TKOH, and use it. =D

I don't say to create only addon version, I said to create both :)

You're right, script version is much better to use on a server, but if you create SP missions, it's easier to have the addon version.

I don't say to create only addon version, I said to create both :)

You're right, script version is much better to use on a server, but if you create SP missions, it's easier to have the addon version.

True.

Is ready the script?

There was an open source script done by the AGM team, which is now ACE3, but i'm not sure on the status of the script. It may be a mod thing only, but can me modified into a script. Goodluck though,, it's been awhile since i looked into it. I've been quite busy lately, but as far as i know, you can request to use said script, and edit it to not require SQF.

There was an open source script done by the AGM team, which is now ACE3, but i'm not sure on the status of the script. It may be a mod thing only, but can me modified into a script. Goodluck though,, it's been awhile since i looked into it. I've been quite busy lately, but as far as i know, you can request to use said script, and edit it to not require SQF.

I know.

I thought you were turning into the script.

I know.

I thought you were turning into the script.

Well given, i don't have enough time to learn scripting as much as i'd love to (time consuming, things, real life wise, and other), and there's still a ticket marked as "assigned", for the creation of such a feature, i don't think i'm going to try and find time to do that. In fact, i've been getting more and more busy lately. Sorry.